I'm taking a Glock to NYC. What can I expect?

Newcomer to this thread. No agenda, no attitude, just an honest question for the OP.

Why do you want to bring your gun? Wouldn’t it be simpler to leave it home?

ETA: Mods: If this is an inappropriate question for GQ, please delete.

Why would he not want to bring a gun? Self Defense never sleeps, if I may coin an awkward phrase.

I bet it would be simpler to leave it at home, tho. It would be simpler not to bathe, or not to bring money, or wait at a terminal, but, I imagine simplicity is not a goal.

hh

Is this true? It would make more sense then. Is there any penalty for not acting?

Moderator Note

This is General Questions. In order to answer the question in the OP, you do not need to know why pkbites wishes to carry a gun. Nor do you need to express your personal opinions about whether or not it is necessary or adviseable to carry a gun. If you can provide factual information on the legal questions involved, then do so. If you wish to discuss other issues, please open another thread in IMHO or GD.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Every state is different, sometimes VERY different. However, there are reciprocity agreements, meaning that for states that have agreements with the state that issued your permit it is perfectly legal to carry. For instance, Florida will recognize my Pennsylvania license due to reciprocity agreement, but with the exception of a very small sliver of West Virginia out by Pittsburgh there is not a single state bordering PA that will recognize my permit, thus it is illegal for me to carry a weapon in those states.

It is also legal to transport a weapon through a state that does not recognize your permit provided you are in compliance with the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 and don’t stop for any extended length of time.

New York City, however, is a very special case. They don’t recognize anybody’s permits but their own, not even those of New York State. Being caught in NYC with a concealed weapon is a very serious crime. You can have a handgun, but don’t dare carry it outside unless it’s to or from your car or you’re in for some serious shit. Unless, of course, you have a permit, but if you’re not somebody famous or connected your chances of getting a NYC permit are absolutely zero. The Sullivan Act is perhaps the most stringent gun-control law in the entire country.

Last, some places will issue non-resident permits for people who would like to carry concealed in a state but cannot get a permit in their state due to stringent restrictions or anti-gun law enforcement. Some states will issue you one and it will be good even in the state you live in thanks to reciprocity, but in most cases non-resident permits are only recognized in the state of issue.

A few years ago there was a proposed law known as the Thune Amendment, which would have made reciprocity universal in every state no matter what their individual laws were for their own citizens. It failed by 2 votes in the Senate. Until similar legislation passes, it’s a patchwork, and it is your job as a gun owner to know the law because the local judicial system will have no mercy on you if you’re wrong, not even a little bit.

Note that all of the above is for civilians. As the OP stated, the rules are different for law enforcement and federal agents/judges.

I expect that you will walk into a nightclub and accidentally shoot yourself in the leg. Then, a political issue will be made of it and you, as a first time offender, will have to spend 21 months in jail. Hope you have an NFL team ready to sign you when you get released.

But, if you are the VP of the USA, just stay in Texas, get drunk and shoot your friend in the face. You are home free.

Really, WTF is wrong with you? Why bring a gun to NYC? Why is your mind on “stupid” mode? Even if you get mugged and pull your gun you will be in for the most expensive and prolonged legal mess you could ever imagine. NYC is one of the safest cities in the world. Yea, stuff happens but the odds are as long as Powerball. Stay in the safe areas and if challenged just throw out your wallet. That’s much easier and cheaper than hiring a team of lawyers and spending a few years trying to clear yourself. Even if you avoid a criminal charge you will face a civil lawsuit. It’s going to cost you a lot more than your stupid Glock.

Cummon, wise up, leave your penis, I mean pistol, at home. Do your law enforcement at the job you were hired for. Leave NYC to the NYPD.

Moderator Warning

R. P. McMurphy, just two posts up, I issued a moderator note to quit the personal opinionating regarding gun carry. In addition, you’ve been around long enough to know that political jabs are not permitted in GQ. This is an official warning. Do not do this again.

Colibri

PS. Further warnings may be issued for those seeking to make this a debate about gun carry or gun control, whether pro or con. If you want to debate these issues, take it to another forum.

I understand your warning. I really do and I take it seriously. But, nonetheless, I was cautioning against what the implications could be for someone trying to take justice into their own hands in a place like NYC. Again, leave law enforcement in NYC to the NYPD. That is just sensible advice.

I’m sure the OP wouldn’t be very happy if an NYC cop came sauntering into his city packing heat with the thought of enforcing his sense of justice.

[Moderating]

Your post went far beyond simply “cautioning against the implications” of carrying a gun, and in any case the OP never implied he had any intention of taking the law into his own hands. The remarks about Plaxico Burress, Cheney, and penis size were entirely out of line with regard to the discussion. So don’t try to portray your post as just “sensible advice.” You could have made your point without all the rhetoric (although it still would not have been appropriate for the thread).

If you have anything further to say regarding the warning, take it to ATMB.

Colibri
General Questions Moderatro

OK, but it was still good, factual and accurate advice from someone who has a whole lot of inside knowledge of NYC and NYC law enforcement. Over 26 years.

Ban me, but I’ll insist, if you come to NYC leave your gun at home. The necessity of using it is far outweighed by the downside implications of actually having to pull it. Pull a gun and your life can be made miserable and expensive for numerous years. That is actual, factual advice. You are better off without it.

Again, the OP visiting NYC has to ask himself how he would react to a rogue NYC cop arriving in his venue with a hair trigger. And, if you don’t have a hair trigger, you don’t need the Glock in the first place.

What will I do with my time when I am banned?

Thank you for actually giving an answer to the OP. :slight_smile:

The routine when flying anywhere else is to declare the gun in checked luggage. A red tag is placed on the locked gun case inside the luggage. The tag is your declaration and signature. Nothing is attached to the boarding pass. I’ve flown in/out of about 35 airports in the U.S. with a gun in my checked luggage with absolutely no problems. But I do know NYC is a gun owners nightmare.

Never thought about that! I guess I’ll load it with a 10 round mag I have instead of the 17 rounder.

We did all the touristy stuff years ago. We’re just going to do some shopping at eat at some decent restaurants.

Where did I say I was going to “enforce my own sense of justice?”. Guess what? Cops are carrying guns all over the U.S. off duty/outside their jurisdiction. Did you read the link in the OP?

29+ years law enfocement here. I know what I am doing, thank you very little.

Moderator Warning

I’m issuing you a second warning for continuing to ignore my instructions. I’m also suspending you temporarily since you don’t seem inclined to comply.

Colibri

Quick question for pkbites… Why did you ask this question here? Helping my father move from CO to MD with his collection intact was fairly easy, because we asked for, and got, info from folks who really know. Not here. You’re trolling.

:confused: Wait, what? The litmus test for asking a non-troll question in GQ is that the information must not be available anywhere else, ever? Doesn’t that make pretty much every OP in this forum a troll, because I am pretty sure every question asked here could be answered if they “asked for, and got, info from folks who really know. Not here.”

I really would hope that a man who has worked with and carried a loaded weapon for the last 30 years or so could do better than be clueless and ask some internet message board. I don’t think pkbites is that dumb. Do you really think he needs our help to guide him to some place where they talk about guns on the internet?

It seems like a normal use of SDMB to me. This is the only message board I visit on a regular basis. If I have a question about a topic, I ask it here. I may also ask it at a more specialized board if I don’t get many responses. I don’t see this as trolling at all. Your accusation strikes me as bizarre.

Thanks Airman. It’s something I’ve always wondered about and it’s nice to get a concise info (among the other stuff). Generally information here is relatively informative, but I assume someone with 30 years LEO experience knows to double-check anything legal before putting their career on the line.

However, the sort of information you get here is often a good pointer / shortcut on where to start. Otherewise, why does ***anyone ***participate, especially in GQ.

Moderator Warning

First of all, you’ve been here long enough to know that accusations of trolling are not permitted outside the Pit. Second, this goes against my instructions, which one poster has already been suspended for violating. This is an official warning. Do not do this again.

Colibri

MODERATOR INSTRUCTIONS

To reiterate, please confine yourselves to factual responses to the question posted in the OP. This is a legitimate question that can be answered in a factual way. Airman Doors’ post is a good example of an appropriate post. We don’t care about your opinions in this thread. If you want to debate, express your opinions on the subject, or criticize the OP, take it to another forum. Those violating these instructions may be warned.

Colibri

I’ve been on 2 other web sites and neither gave me a clear answer.

I have been to all 50 states, carried in every one of them, and have flown in/out of airports in most of them with a declared firearm in my checked bags with no problems.

But NYC has stringent handgun laws and even though I can legally carry I am wondering if authorities are advised by airlines that a person with a declared firearm in their checked luggage is arriving. It’s a legitimate question and the attacks I’m suffering here are outrageous.