In the Begining

I agree with this.

Out of the two, if I had to choose between them, I’d go with Christ. Time travel itself would tell me interesting things about time. It would confirm the block universe (b theory) of time I would imagine, since if presentism were true then time travel would not be possible.

If the b theory is correct, then I would imagine that would answer several fundamental questions - namely the old chest nut as to what happened before the big bang. The answer, ‘nothing’. There never was a time when the universe wasn’t (or some ‘form’ of the universe).

I’d go to Bethlehem in 1AD - not because of the birth of Christ (which I probably wouldn’t bother to attend), but to see what my country was like 2000 years ago, and to meet the people. After all, Hillel the Elder, greatest of all Jewish sages, was still alive in 1AD, and I would love to sit down and have a talk with him.

I love the thought of going back to that time and talking to the movers and shakers of the time, and blowing off the Jesus angle.

Yeah, I mean, 1 AD would be great - and after finishing with Judea, I could travel to Rome! See the immortal city at its most decadent heights! What’s a Big Bang compared to that?

Not kidding; around Halloween, my father-in-law teaches a Sunday School class on this passage called “Day of the Living Dead”. It is awesome.

I plan to punch Helen of Troy in the face to make her ugly. I anticipate having a whole lot of new kings to memorize, when I get back.

Brilliant!

Besides what others have already posted, there is another problem with either option, especially the second one: Do we know to the exact day (hour, minute?) that Jesus was resurrected or the Big Bang occurred? Probably not, since there is debate over the exact year Jesus was born (and therefore resurrected and all), and 13.75 billion years for the Big Bang isn’t that useful when an error of 1 part per billion is 13.75 years (hopefully it would be early - but then you’d need a lot of food, water and air). 10 ppb too early? Forget about living to see it (I’m also assuming the time machine can exist independent of the Universe and survive the Big Bang). For comparison, Wikipedia gives an error of +/- 110 (or 130) million years.