Is eating cayenne pepper past the expiration date any harmful?

Even so… I’ve gotta second what the others have said. Doing that in my house would make me seriously question whether I ever want you back. You’d find me recommending that we meet at restaurants and parks. (In case anyone thinks I’m joking, my two brothers are my only blood relatives who have ever been in my house. Of course, I do have much better reasons than spice-tampering for keeping them away.)

Yeah, I’m a bad person all around, apparently.

OTOH you are welcome to stealth re spice my house any day, some high quality saffron would be especially appreciated.

Capt

I still have some spices in my kitchen that my mom gave me when I got my first apartment in college.

I’m 46.

I just priced that at a local spice shop. It was something like $12/oz for Spanish. :eek:

By the way, I actually did run the spice dumping past my DIL prior to doing it. She just shrugged, having no idea what the stuff was used for. This was in conjunction with my teaching her how to prepare a turkey dinner. As mentioned, she’s a complete loss in a kitchen.

Ah. You neglected to mention “with the permission of the homeowners”. That makes a smidge of difference. :smiley:

OK, OK, if you asked first, that’s different. :wink:

Which is why I always shake it out into my palm first. Plus, it prevents the whole OOPS! thing when the top falls into the boiling soup and a whole jarful falls out.* Except for curry powder. I made some kick-ass squash soup a few weeks ago and could still smell the curry on my palm days later. Not a bad smell, but still …

• True story, from college (of course!). Friend was making pasta sauce, and the above happened with black pepper. A mound of pepper was sitting atop the sauce. I though he would spoon some out or something, but he just shrugged and stirred it all in. “I like pepper!” he said. “Not that much,” we answered.

He had one bite. The remainder went into the trash.

Not that Chefguy needs defending, but I would presume his son knows he’s a Chefguy and should know better than to keep old crappy spices and stuff around.

He’s a better cook than his wife by far, but neither of them have the time or interest in doing much. Their refrigerator always looks like a desert wasteland, and the freezer contains prepared foods pretty much exclusively. Do I nag them about proper nutrition? Nope, none of my bidness. But when I’m visiting, I do pretty much all the cooking. It’s a matter of self preservation.