Is Kerry an idiot, or not?

Y’know, I’ve never seen any record of Kerry’s academic performance. Just the testimony of schoomates, in prep. school and at Yale who said he had a keen mind. I haven’t a clue how we managed to get Bush’s SAT scores, as I’ve never seen such things publicised before.

What Bush make no secret of is that he was a unimpressive student. He actually brags about it, on occasion. I think Kerry has confessed to slacking off his senior year at Yale to pursue flying and politics (though I can’t remember where I read that). Perhaps that’s why he “only” got into BC Law. Thing I can’t understand is why this is seen as unimpressive. BC, though no Ivy, is a highly regarded school. I went to a pretty competative college; yet a roomate and good friend of mine (who I later roomed with while he was a law student in DC), who graduated magna cum laude and was a member of Phi Beta Kappa, because he got merely average LSAT scores, was unable to get accepted to BC Law. This friend did, however (scoring well on the GMAT) get into Harvard B-School, and turned it down to go to American for Law. He subsequently graduated second in his class and is now a junior partner in a big DC firm, making many times what I make as a pathetic biologist. My friend was a Poly Sci Major. Smart guy.

Somehow Bush, a self-confessed C student, got into Harvard Business School. Isn’t it rather obvious somebody pulled some strings for him? His Andover classmates attest to his slacking off before college, so isn’t it obvious again he was a legacy acceptee at Yale? I just don’t see how Bush looks better on paper. He looks like he always does: A beneficiary of favors given to his wealthy and influential family. His guard service is a point of contention, his business ventures a flop, his last election disputed in the Electoral College, and lost in the popular vote; how is this impressive? I’m not trying to argue Kerry, in aggregate, is better. I just don’t get how one could form an enthusastic oppinion of Bush, nor do I see how one could be thought irrational for wondering aloud if the guy is a low watt bulb. Even many of Bush’s friends who knew him when he was young thought little of his potential. He was a substance abuser and chronically lazy. He displays a lack of intellectual interest or curiosity almost unheard of in a head of state. His mangling of the English language is legendary. Is it that much of a stretch to suspect the guy is a dullard?

FWIW, I doubt his stupidity. I find it plausible Bush cultures this nitwit image, to a certain extent. As it is, people almost fall over when they realise he’s not borderline retarded. How better can one position themselves to exceed expectations? He could very well be much smarter than that, and we’d never know it. That’s the point of the debate, if you ask me.

As for Kerry, it is an interesting question. Not many pols normally talk about their report cards, but speculation over Bush’s purported idiocy make the bona fides a potential political weapon, so long as the adversary’s got the goods. Maybe Kerry doesn’t.

For what it’s worth, I’d be the last guy to equate grades with intelligence. I had a very mixed college career myself. If a course interested me, I got an A. If it didn’t, I could get anywhere from an A to an F, depending on whether I was obsessed with something else at the time. My roommate was one of the smartest guys I knew, and he dropped out. Fifteen years later he got tired of not having his degree, and went back and knocked it off, along with a Masters, and now he’s working on a Ph.D in biochemistry.

Bush was well known as a party guy. He had himself a good time in college. And yet, he managed to not only graduate but complete an advanced degree. That suggests to me that he’s pretty smart.

LOT of pundits beleive this was what gave Bush the wins in his debates with Gore. Expectations were so low of Bush that as long as he didn’t drool on himself during an answer, he was considered the winner. Brilliant, just brilliant.

Though I fear for the hamsters come November if he wins again.

He is in my opinion a very smart man. However, when it comes to campaigning for president he makes Bush look like Albert Einstein. As hideous a campaign that Gore ran in 2000, it looks brilliant compared to Kerry’s attempt. If you’re going to win the White House, you have to find a simple theme and stick to it. This fact somehow eludes Kerry. Yet on everything else, he seems to be a brilliant man.

Getting good grades in school, or getting high SAT scores may show a certain “quickness” of the mind, or a good memory. Sometimes, it is just a skill at test taking. There have been plenty of people who got good grades just by memorizing, but did not have any more than the most basic real understanding of the material. My IQ is 135-137. My SAT scores were ridiculously high, and through grade school and high school, my grades were always in the 90+ percent group. There were some who got higher grades but only by rote memory. Give them a problem that was not in the book, and they were in trouble - but they could tell you what page the formula and answer were on, if it was not a “new” problem. Later on, I went to college for electrical engineering. I was a C student with some B’s. However, I understood what was going on behind the numbers. Many of the A students could crunch numbers like crazy but had no idea what the numbers meant. The proof was in lab. My circuits always worked, theirs were just “smoke generators”.
I’m in good company though, Einstein and Hawkings were both mediocre students too. Hawkings was a notorious party animal. Look what he’s done since then.

As far as who is more successful betwen Bush and Kerry, don’t forget, they were both bankrolled by someone to get into those fancy schools. That’s not bad, they had the chance, and took it. Anyone would. To have that sort of opportunity and not take it would be a sign of stupidity. To get to the point where you have a chance at the presidency does take a certain level of intelligence. You have to be able to back the right people, and have the right people back you. You have to know what to say, and who to say it to. You have to possess some sort of “people skills” which are just as complex as (more complex than) any electronics or physics formula. It is not something that is measured in school. You don’t get that high up by being an idiot. I’m not a Bush fan, but to understimate him would be a big mistake. For all his failures and flaws, he has something going on upstairs or he wouldn’t be in the White House.

This is reminiscent of an exchange heard during the later part of the Carter administration, circa 1979:

*“Well, it’s beginning to look like Carter will be a one-term President.”

“Yes, but when does it start?”*

Party animal?! We’re talking about Hawkings the drooling guy with exo-skeleton right? - and not Hawkings of the Long John Silver fame? Wouldn’t party-android be more fitting?

He wasn’t always that way. As an underclassman he did not yet have any symptoms, and as far as he knew, he was in perfect health. His disease did not hit until a few years later.

[QUOTE=BrainGlutton]

I was thinking more of his ability to judge the performance of his campaign staff and advisors. Though there was a shake-up recently, so maybe something is beginning to “click”.

That presumably would be Steven Hawking, not Hawkings.

That would be Jack Hawkins from Treasure Island, not Hawkings.

Oh yeah! There’s a difference of a ‘g’. (Jim not Jack) But I didn’t know about Hawking’s late symptoms. Good for him he got a little partying in before.

Nah, it just means we haven’t yet seen the final results of the “Kerry vs. Rove” intelligence contest.