Is sugar vegetarian?

If God had intended us to be vegetarians, he wouldn’t have made animals out of meat :).

–It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

I forgot to mention: Have you tried the tactic that people use when encountering Macintosh computer owners (which is practically a cult itself :P)? You just humor them and nod passively to whatever they say.

Seriously, if your friend is really getting annoying, you might have to put her in her place. Politely but firmly mention that you are happy with your dietary habits and are not interested in the sales pitch. Try to agree to disagree.

–It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

I’ve also heard the story of white sugar being filtered through bone. It was either from Cecil himself, or from his San Diego clone Mathew Alice. (Mathew Alice writes the same sort of column as Cecil, and is generally very reliable.) In the same article, it was mentioned that one of the “natural flavorings” in many catsups is meat juices. It’s hard to be pure in such a complex world.

Don’t even get me started on “natural flavorings”! As a person that suffers from food allergies, let me say that the term should be out-lawed. It would save a lot of heart-ache and pain.

Your friend cannot therefore use cameras or have her picture taken, unless a digital camera is used. Why? Gelatin is an essential component of photographic film. Think about that the next time some Hollywood type claims to be a vegetarian. How many cows died to produce his/her last film, I wonder?

She also cannot use certain cosmetics, ointments, lozenges and any medication that comes in capsules. Read what Britannica has to say about it.

Pardon me while I go have a hamburger.

>< DARWIN >
__L___L

Jab: Medications are sometimes available in non-gelatin “Vegicaps”.

I didn’t know that.

>< DARWIN >
__L___L

Padeye wrote:

That reminds me of a lyric from the old Rank and File song “Amanda Ruth”:

[/crudeness] :wink:

“Every time you think, you weaken the nation!” --M. Howard (addressing his brother, C. Howard).

A cite from the sugar industry: http://www.sucrose.com/bonechar.html

From a bone char producer: http://www.ebonex.com/b_cha.htm

And on the International Vegetarian Union page: Sugar and other sweeteners in the USA: do they contain animal products?

Even if the bone char hadn’t undergone a significant enough change to be considered as a new substance (d’var chadash), it’s used only as a filter and doesn’t leave detectable traces in the sugar. Most (not only Jewish) food ingredient laws don’t even apply here.

It’s quite possible to hide that in your natural flavors, this thread Fruit2O and “Naturalness” contains their definition. “Broad” would be an understatement, and since you don’t have to to declare their ingredients, there have been such rumors (denied, at least by Heinz). Still though, ketchup may contain other stuff like sodium inosinate flavor enhancer, likely made from meat extract. A thread: Beef blood in ketchup - Ironically, McDonald’s uses meat-derived flavoring on the fries, not (I don’t vouch for that) in the ketchup.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/s1/sucrose.asp has this to say:

If the possibility of animal chacoal having been used presents a problem to your conscience as a vegetarian, most* cane (‘brown’) sugars should be OK (*there are some that are actually white sugar coloured with added molasses) - look for ‘unrefined’ on the pack and you should be OK.

Gelatin is indeed an animal product - for culinary use you can get vegetarian alternatives which are good (usually based on alginates and starches) - if you’re looking for a veggie alternative to fruit flavoured jelly (AKA ‘jell-o’ to 'merkins), you could try this:
mix two level tablespoons of tapioca starch into a little water in a pan, add a pint of fruit juice or cordial(diluted to taste) and gently heat, stirring all the time; when it thickens and the colour changes (it will go ‘clear’), pour it into a bowl and leave to set in a cool place. You may need to experiment with the amount of starch - if it just doesn’t seem to be thickening, you can add a little more, but mix it with a little water first - you can also do this with ordinary cornflour(cornstarch), but it doesn’t quite go as clear as with tapioca starch.