Is this the wrongest thing ever?

According to Wikipedia, we’re both wrong:

For some reason I imagined too much time had passed since 1912 for anyone to possibly be alive. It is not the first time I have over/underestimated entire decades of time due to poor mental math, and I don’t imagine it will be the last. :frowning:

It’s hard for me to get upset about poor taste when I think of the immediate aftermath of the sinking, and the contortions the Social Register went into to remain in good taste.

The survivors were picked up and brought to New York by the Carpathia, a Cunard line. Atlantic crossings had to be noted by the Social Register, and much hand-wringing ensued: the surviors set sail on the White Star Titanic, tres chic, but the ship did not make the crossing. So how to list the crossings, without overemphasis on the fact that they had arrived on a tres gauche Cunard liner?

The crossings were listed as “Titan-Carpath.” Must avoid impropriety, even at the expense of acknowledging that their flipping lives were saved by Cunard. NOKD, you know. :rolleyes:

Minor nitpick - there were many high end Cunard liners - Lusitania and her sister Mauretania (both one-time holders of the Blue Riband) were both Cunarders, it’s just that Carpathia wasn’t one of them. The objection wasn’t to the line, it was to the ship - which is still stupid, but not quite the same thing.

Ah, I didn’t know that. Still, the fact that people cared so much is one of the many reasons I don’t lament missing the age of gentility.

Oh, the humanity!

Surprised that no one has made this obvious statement.

I don’t know. When I was a little girl my mom used to sing this song about the Titanic, I’m not sure of the title (probably “The Titanic”).

It was this quirky upbeat melody with a funny little chorus line and I didn’t realize until I was much much older in what poor taste the song really was (just due to the cheerful little tune).

Looking back, when it comes to the Titanic that song strikes me as pretty much “the wrongest Titanic thing ever”.

Here are the lyrics Ultimate Camp Resource - Camp Games, Camp Songs, Camp Skits, and more! (though a little bit different than the ones my mom sang), I tried to find the melody, but couldn’t find it (of course anything to do with “melody” and “titanic” all that popped up was Celine Dion).

Ps, found a site with at least an instrumental. Pretty incongruous tune for sure.

http://www.musiclegacy.com/Pages/titanic.htm

I must say this is not the wrongest thing ever.

For I have seen goatse.

Now I’m getting a mental image of a goatse slide. Oh ick.

Where did I put the brain bleach?
And let’s not even think of the Tubgirl Interactive Experience[sup]TM[/sup]. . .

You are an evil, evil person.

For any historically themed park started, I got dibs on the Jeffrey Dahmer Carve & Roast Your Own Sweetmeats Concession[sup]TM[/sup] in the Food Court.

We used to sing that when I was a kid. We always ended up with the added lines:

Kerplunk
It sunk
What junk
It stunk

I don’t suppose anyone noticed that the .pic in the link from the OP was taken in Minneapolis…

Maybe something with bumper cars or one of those Flume rides…

No, I suppose it’s too soon.

A combination of a bumper car and flume ride.
I’ll admit when Titanic came out I thought it would make a great water park slide, but only if done actual size.

It’d probably be the Twin Towers Bungee Jump.

I like the seat right next to the fiery lake! It’s warm there!

Oh, the humanity!

For the record, I must anal-retentively point out that the name is Alferd Packer. A-l-f-e-r-d. Not Alfred. The South Park guys made a musical movie about Alferd Packer that is…er, interesting.

How about an Andrea Doria jumping castle? Sure, it hasn’t been as long, but 1,660 people were rescued. Only 46 were killed–that’s pretty much the same amount of people that die on a regular crusie!

Wiki has him born as Alfred Packer, but then says that the judge at his trial addressed him at “Alferd.” When did they make the switch? And was Alferd just something of a nickname?

Gosh, neither of those two sets of lyrics match the ones I remember from camp. For us the third verse was:

Oh, the captain stood on deck with a tear in his eye.
As the last lifeboat left, he waved them all goodbye.
He thought he’d made a slip, so he went down with his ship
It was s-a-d when the great ship went down.

And the final verse was:

Oh they built another ship called the S.S. Mary Lou
and they said that this was one ship the water would never get through
So they christened it with beer, and it sank right off the pier
It was s-a-d when the great ship when down.

I suspect that it’s one of those cases where every camp in every state has a slightly different version. The tune (at least the one from the second link) is definitely the same though.

I’m no expert. I was only familiar with the Alferd spelling. But according to this website: