It's a silly story or rumor, but it creeps you out anyway

This one creeps me out, and I’m a GUY.

What is the Bloody Mary story?

Basically, it’s if you chant “Bloody Mary” a set number of time in front a bathroom mirror with the lights off, you’ll summon the spirit of Mary I of England (Bloody Mary herself) to do various ghastly things to you. Sometimes the lights are on in the bathroom while you say it and then you turn them off.

As I have now terrified myself, I think I will not be going into the bathroom until the sun rises.

I really, really wish I hadn’t opened this thread. The electricity in my bathroom is out at the moment…

This doesn’t fit the exact question, but my phobia about going to the bathroom in pitch black involves bity things that will emerge from the bowl and latch on to my hoo-ha. For some reason this distinct possibility doesn’t occur to me when it’s at all light.

<continuing slightly OT>In that case, don’t ever, ever read Stephen King’s Dreamcatcher. Don’t even consider it.</continuing slightly OT>

The numbers stations are pretty scary. There’s one in particular where one station is trying to jam another other with a weird sound that’s especially eerie.

EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomena)

I know it’s just pattern recognition, but when those people on the old Art Bell show used to play their recordings made in the middle of the night in cemeteries, I would get chills.

Especially when they are very clear, such as one where a little girl’s voice says “Am I dead?”

I like to put Coast to Coast AM on the radio while I drift off to sleep, but when I know they are going to play EVP I turn it off.

I also want to second Ouija boards.

I want to try one, but I just can’t. There’s always that “What if?”

If you would like some entertaining reading, go to the Amazon website, look up Ouija boards in the toy section and read some of the customer reviews.

Some are pretty creepy.

Huh. I never knew that “Bloody Mary” was supposed to be an actual historical figure, just that a demon of some sort would come through the mirror and mutilate you.

I don’t have a real problem with looking in mirrors or anything in the dark. That being said, I am perfectly fine admitting that I don’t think I could say either “Candyman” or “Bloody Mary” five times into a mirror to this day. I know it’s bunk, but on the .0000000000001 % chance that it’s not, is it really worth risking? Just…no.

Oh my God! I remember the dog one! Only our version ended with the note reading “Maniacs can lick hands too!”

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:smiley:

And don’t even start on the Bloody Mary thing… I am 40 and I still think about that in the bathroom sometimes…

I’ve never heard a numbers station. How do you find them?

It varies… Bloody Mary is either Mary I of England, or some dead girl named Mary who died violently and came back to get revenge… or something else I’ve heard but forget. It just creeps the hell outta me so I generally don’t go to the bathroom in the middle of the night if I can help it, or I turn on the light even though it means I might have trouble getting back to sleep. I used to beat up my little brother for turning off the light on me (we had a light switch outside the door).

The monsters under the bed still creep me out too. The closet must either be completely open or closed, it cannot be halfway open (that means there is a place to hide… if it’s closed they can’t get out) and my box spring is right on the floor. Not even dust bunnies can get under there.

Basically anything with ghosts. I do believe in them, or at least the possibility, and I’ve had experiences I can’t explain away (except as my feverish imagination… thing is the most strangest and scariest happened before I’d gotten into ghost stories…)

Ok. I’ll bite. What is up with chanting Biggie Smalls?

Here you go.

Thanks. I never saw that episode, but it sure sounds funny.

I’ve only ever heard the Queen Mary version, which caused me great confusion when I started reading about the historical Mary I, whom I had somehow conflated with Elizabeth Bathory. Sure she order the murder of loads of Protestants, but she didn’t bathe in the blood of virgins either.

Oooh, do you want to share? I recently started a thread, and that was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. You can post in this thread or in the one I linked to; I don’t care. Just please tell it!

It’s the first in a series of three, the other two of which are logically enough called “Bigger Secrets” and “Biggest Secrets”. Two of the three of them – or maybe all three, I can’t recall – also have sections on hidden messages on rock albums, and at least one of them has a bit on subliminal flashes in movies. Also creepy, although the thought of them is creepier than the reality, which is that nobody really does them much anymore.

I don’t think anyone is regularly doing this, but the rumor is based partially on fact: Caryl Chessman, the “Red Light Bandit,” used a flashing light to trick drivers into thinking he was a cop and pulling over. He’d then rape the women and rob the men. He was eventually caught and executed.

Mom & I were driving home one night through the country while Art had an EVP show.
It was about a 45 min drive & we passed about a half-dozen country graveyards.

It was great spooky fun, but if I’d been on my own, I’d have gotten the radio on
a happy music station so fast!!!