Ladies, is this unsexy

My wife recently designed the costumes for a touring children’s show that had fruit as most of the main characters, and she ended up making enormous round (or pear-shaped) foam heads. The method that she found worked best was to find some fairly thin (about 1/2") rigid foam, and cut it into strips like you would peel an orange (like one of these maps). Then glue it all together, wrap it in something kind of thick to get rid of any bumps, paint it, and you’re good to go.

Oh, don’t forget to cut a hole out for the face to stick through, and you’ll probably need some sort of chin strap to keep the thing on her head. Good luck.

As to the costume …

Unless she’s real tall and rail-thin you’re gonna need a BIG head, maybe 3 feet in dimater to get any hope of a good overall proportion. A head that big needs to be hollow.

The craft stores sell styrofoam bars & curves that you could use to make as large a roughly-spherical frame as you wanted. Then cover it in 1 thin layer of papier mache or even just staple on some fabric like an old pillowcase or two. A little paint and it’ll look OK. Add a suitable cutout for a face and cuts for it to sit on her shoulders and away you go.

As to the date, bravo duude. She’s definately a keeper.

Fourth of July, in Indiana, and you’re volunteering to wrap yourself in a blanket?!

Whooosh… :wink:

She needs to learn to be on the ball like you. I’ll help her.

/[side of mouth] Did you NOT read the OP?? He took her ‘out for dinner’ and had her pay for it. He’s not the fastest Peoplemover on the monorail. [/side of mouth closed]

Er, which ‘she’ and which ‘her’?

He wouldn’t get a chance to grope me in the car. I’d pay for the entire bill, thus cancelling out any perceived “debt” to him, and then I’d take a cab home.

Coupons are fine and dandy if you’re an established couple, but it reeks of cheap on an initial date.

Incidentally - it also reeks of cheap to spring “hey, let’s go Dutch” on a woman like that. It should be established pre-date. And if you did the inviting, it’s the aforementioned “cheap” to ask it to be Dutch.

VCNJ~

Well, now, in the case of a couple of poorly college students, inviting someone out and admitting at the same time the invitee is broke is one thing. Were the coupon use and such agreed to previous to the date, I’d see no real problem. Honesty’s the only way to go, even if it’s brutal.
If that’s not the situation, and I were the invited, I’d laugh myself out of the restaurant and never look back.
You know, Wes, I almost get the feeling you’re showing off how you got away w/ treating this girl like crap and then getting her to agree to go out w/ you again. Surely you wouldn’t brag about that on this board, right?

I don’t believe you Wes. First you say you used the girl to get a free meal, then you tell us the two of you are going out dressed like a little shit and a sucker?

I smell steamin’ hot Tootsie Roll.

I thought maybe Wesley Clark would have learned from this thread that coupons are a no no on a first date. I guess not. Maybe the girl in question is the same girl from the earlier thread?

I actually thought that the OP was a (kinda funny) joke. Now, I’m beginning to think that he’s just a little weird.

Could Wesley Clark and START be the same person?

Would someone please confirm in my mind that the OP was a joke? :frowning:

please?

The OP reminds me of one of my worst date experiences. One of those that are so horrible at the time, but now you love that it happened because it is such a fun story to tell.

I had just starting dating this guy who at 33 had just gone back to school for his masters. Full-time student, no job, I understood our dates would be doing things you can do for free, no problem.

Well one day he says he would like to take me out for a nice dinner. I think that is a nice gesture, figure he plans to use some of his birthday money he recently received, but just in case, I have money and am prepared to pay. I just feel awkward asking ahead of time.

We get to the nice restaurant, he proceeds to get the most expensive bottle of wine, and the most expensive appetizer, soup, salad, steak and lobster, and dessert, and after dinner drinks. All I have ordered is a salad, and appetizer for an entre. I know the bill will be high, and even if he planned on spending all his birthday money on it, I will insist on splitting it with him. But I am feeling quite fond of him, thinking he was willing to spend his money on me.

I was wrong, the bill comes, and he looks at me. OK, I will pay it. No big deal. I reach in my purse, and he starts to freak out.

“People can see you getting money!” He quietly “yells” at me. “What?” “Don’t let anyone see you are paying the bill. Makes me look bad, hand the money to me under the table, so they can see ME pay the bill”.

I really think he must be joking. He is not. When I just sit there, confused, he starts to really get angry, I am scared now. I don’t know what the bill is, I ask. He is mad I just don’t hand over all my money I guess. He tells me. I give him the amount for the check, and 25% tip. The service wasn’t really very good, a cute young girl, but not very good, but I can round it out to 25% easily, and that is what I give him. He takes the money, looks at it, and says he needs more, 25% tip is not enough, the waitress will think he is cheap.

I really am scared now, so I give him more money. He kind of snarls, but takes it. I would like to say that I left the restaurant, took a cab home, but I didn’t. Low self-esteem is a terrible thing. I continued dating him for almost 2 years. And learned to be very discreet when handing him the money under the table whenever he said he would like to take me out for a nice dinner.

After I finally was able to get away from this guy, and started dating my now husband, on our third date, I told him I was going to take him out. He said I didn’t need to, I insisted, he relented. When the bill came, he still wanted to pay it, I said I would, but out of habit, I asked if he wanted me to hand him the money under the table so he could be seen paying the bill. That totally freaked him out. “Are crazy? What could be better than being seen having a beautiful woman dining with you? A beautiful woman who picks up the tab!” Just then the waiter came over. “Can you believe my luck? I get the honor of dining with this incrediable woman, and now she wants to pick up the tab, life does not get better than this, does it?” “No sir, it doesn’t.” And the waiter winked at me. And to top it off, when I gave the waiter my Visa card, he said sorry, they didn’t take credit cards, only cash. I didn’t know any restaurants were that way and I had no cash. So my future husband had to pay anyway. And that is his favorite restaurant dating story.

Farmwoman, that was the best line in the thread, hands down. I think I love you. Can I trick you into paying for dinner?

Wesley, you did not actually pull that, in all seriousness, did you?

I can see it being a funny joke - but did you really do it for real, and then the girl went out with you AGAIN?

If so, I feel incredibly sorry for her.

Grits, what a sad story. I can only think that Wesley’s girl must have the same problem you did. I am glad you found someone who treats you decently.

Too easy

No need for tricks. I enjoy decent dinner company and am more than willing to pay for the experience.

Of course, you should prepare to be groped on the way home. :wink:

What does that mean? :confused:

The OP was meant to be a joke playing on the fact that many people here know I’m cheap, I expected a couple of joke replies and that would be it. Since people were taking it seriously I decided to play along and ask advice on how I could help someone ‘become a giant sucker’. People believed that part too and gave advice on being a big sucker. I’m sure people will be pissed at me when they figure it out but it was still fun.

I have to wonder if I really come across as the type of person who would use a BOGO free coupon to make a date pay for everything then try to grope her. I need an image consultant if I come across as someone who would actually do that.