Meet the Press―Replacing Russert

Is this your guess, or have you heard something?

This is a great idea, as very few people carry the journalistic weight Russert did-- especially at NBC, especially in the general election-- that Brokaw would. Plus, being semi-retired and all, what else does he have going on?

MSNBC is currently reporting that Tom Brokaw will host this Sunday’s MTP and it will be a tribute to Tim Russert.

As far as a choice to replace him, I think I agree with the common thread mentioned - Andrea Mitchell or David Gregory. There aren’t many people who could do it. I wouldn’t mind seeing Brokaw back permanently, though.

If Brokaw would be willing to come out of retirement, that would be fantastic, especially for the election season and the start of the next administration, but I like Andrea Mitchell also.

I like Olbermann also, but he is too partisan and I like the Countdown as much as Meet the Press, and would not want to lose one for the other.

IMO, David Gregory tends to be a bit bias. (also something about his voice annoys me)

Russert had a reputation of asking tough questions that weren’t all that important in the overall scheme of things. Nobody was better with a ‘gotcha’ pointing out the contradictions between what a guest was saying now, and what they’d said some time ago - but it all too often was one of those Washingtonian inside-baseball gotchas that most people wouldn’t give a flip about.

I don’t know who should take his place, but there’s a clear opportunity for an upgrade here, to make MTP a hard-hitting show about stuff that voters are actually concerned about.

Anyone who’s spent the past 20+ years as part of the Washington political press corps is probably a bad choice, though, because it’s really hard to have a clue of what voters might be concerned about when you and all your friends are movers and shakers with stratospheric incomes.

Right. These people seemingly go for each others’ throats on TV, but then later laugh about it together at cocktail parties in extreme upper Northwest DC, McLean, or Great Falls. It’s faker than wrestling.

I like this idea a lot. I would also love to see Brokaw back on TV, even if it’s only on MTP.

Andrea Mitchell has the knowledge but not the presence. Matthews- too much of a blowhard & too biased (and I LIKE him- on Hardball). Gregory I like. Olberman only if they balance him with Buchanan- then they may as well not have any other guests- just an hour of debate- and that would be the end of MTP.

I edge to Gregory, but maybe it should be shared between him & Mitchell.

BUT from now through the election- Brokaw!

You know, if you want to think outside the box. Someone who knows how to do TV and can fill very big shoes. Someone who can reinvent and put is own stamp on the genre. Someone who can take risks.

Jay Leno.

No, I am not kidding.

Aren’t many people who could do it? Previous moderators:
Martha Rountree 1947 – 1953
Ned Brooks 1953 – 1965
Lawrence E. Spivak 1966 – 1975
Bill Monroe 1975 – 1984
Roger Mudd / Marvin Kalb (co-moderators) 1984 – 1985
Marvin Kalb 1985 – 1987
Chris Wallace 1987 – 1988
Garrick Utley 1989 – 1991

By those standards the choices are wide open. How big a name was Tim Russert in 1991, I ask you?

Brokaw is retired, but I suppose he might fill in through the election. It would be easier to phase in a new name after an interregnum. Johnny Carson took over six months after Jack Paar, following a line of guest hosts at The Tonight Show. Jay Leno did it after a weekend and got creamed for the first two years. (Leno, BTW, is one of the worst interviewers on television unless he’s with one of his old comedy pals. Then he’s great. But not otherwise.)

I’ll bet on rotating guests while they settle on who does best.

I could see Brokaw until after the election (approx. 20 Sundays) , then David Gregory, once his show Race for the White House winds down.

If they go with David Gregory, they could add a new dance segment:

Sammy Hagar

Russert recognized the line between getting the truth and pissing off politicians so they would not appear any more. He let Condi sail through several times. He let Cheney have free reign .
Helen Thomas should do it.

How about Bob Costas? He’s an extremely bright guy, and a good interviewer.

Jon Stewart

Excellent idea. I’m a big fan of the man and have no idea what his personal politics are - which is exactly what is needed for Meet The Press. His show Later With Bob Costas was the best interview program on TV.

Why not have Chris Wallace return to the Meet the Press chair?

Stephen Colbert. (The character, I guess)

Hell, if anyone could keep the two sides out of balance, it’d be him.

Because he’s sold his soul to Faux News.