Men/boys who wear underwear with swim trunks. WTF?

I see their issue as being more containment, rather than support. Advantage: Speedo.

I could understand compression shorts or something like that under swim trunks. Something that doesn’t soak up water like a sponge. I can wrap my head around that. Not people who wear boxer briefs though. Just don’t get it.

Wet underwear WILL chaff after a bit if you were to play on the beach or something physical like that.

But that’s exactly why I wear them.

But even a Speedo normally has an inner lining, both for comfort and to leave a little bit less to the imagination. It surprises me to learn that some trunks don’t have this.

I got a new suit a couple years ago, and the first couple times I wore them I couldn’t figure out why the head of my prick was sore and tender at the end of every day I wore them. It almost felt as if it was sunburned. I finally realized that it was because there is a velcro fly on the suit- something I’ve never had, as far as I recall- and the back of the velcro layer was stiff and the head of my dick was rubbing against it. So I decided to cut out the mesh layer that contained my junk and now I just wear Dri-Fit boxer briefs with that suit.

I’m with the OP. Very weird and looks uncomfortable. If I had a suit that wasn’t comfortable or whatever without undies, I’d get a new suit.

Did you mean under, or do you actually wear compression underwear over your shorts to swim?

Well, they are about the same length so sometimes they get exposed…but yeah. Under.

The standard advice when wearing padded cycling shorts is “don’t wear underwear under bike shorts”. The reason is that the seams and stitching for underwear is often exactly where you don’t want it and it cause bad chaffing. Padded cycling shorts, like most swim trunks, are made to go commando underneath.

Oops, I meant “leave a little bit more to the imagination”.

I do not wear underwear going in a pool or freshwater lake, but at the ocean, with the prospect of sand getting in there, I always wear something in addition to the swim trunks.

I have gotten rubbed raw from the liner in regular swim trunks from playing in the surf for a few hours. They seem to have changed the liner a few years ago from a fine mesh to the more porous variety pretty much universally. The mesh they use now is more irritating, IMHO, than just wearing something underneath to contain everything.

This for me. I am “particularly pale vampire listening to NPR while shopping at Whole Foods” white. For sunny days in the water, a swim shirt limits the amount of area to which I need to be continuously re-applying SPF 300 to a manageable level.

Most swim trunks are lined. No underwear required.

I have some that aren’t lined. They’re also very thin, fast-drying fabric. They’re more like rafting shorts than swim trunks, but I often use them as swim trunks. I often wear them with underwear – usually, some TravelSmith briefs that dry super fast.

Why underwear with these? Well, if I haven’t been swimming and they’re dry, and I use the rest room, if I’m not super careful, I’ll get visible wet spots. Does that answer the question?

No doubt the OP is referring to bad boyz with the droopy pants thing. IMHO, that’s silly regardless of whether it’s with swimwear or street clothes. But there’s no accounting for fashion. I’m sure guys that dress like that think I look silly. They’re probably right, too.

I just wanted to agree that it does indeed make about as my children sense.

I object to people asking questions when they don’t understand something!!!

Well, yeah- if you are just wearing shorts and not swim trunks.
On that note, one of the reasons a lot of guys do wear underwear is that they wear gym shorts instead of swim shorts. And it’s pretty difficult to wear gym shorts, especially mesh ones, without showing off.

Some pools ban gym shorts. The pool my family goes to had banned gym shorts but they lifted the ban this year and changed/added some rules.

As someone else mentioned I also think the “sagging” style plays a factor. Though I’m pretty sure sagging is banned at the pool. At least they have the courtesy to flash underwear instead of crack. Baggy jeans sagging was popular when I was a kid, but I don’t remember many kids wearing the waistband completely below the ass. And certainly no one wore those bizarre Justin Bieber diaper jeans that look like “baggy” tights that someone took a dump in.

Isn’t this what the internet is for? You know, the inner netting they invented to line swim trunks. It provides a comforting snugness.

When I go swimming I almost always just wear boardshorts. These do not have lining, as they are shorts…like regular shorts, designed to be worn with underwear. Boardshorts always have velcro and a string. During vigorous swimming they can come undone. No underwear at a public pool could mean flashing, which would get you arrested.

The key bit of information you are missing is that swimsuits are basically just NOT worn by men anymore, at least not under the age of 35 and over 5. Its board shorts, so no liner.

Unlined boardshorts are the predominant product sold for swimming where I am at. You need to search for mesh lined swim trunks. This may be the situation that a lot of other people face. They buy a swimsuit because it looks nice, only to find later that it is unlined boardshorts. So, they wear underwear with.

By the way, I do see that swim-compression shorts are being sold in the displays with the boardshorts at some stores, so there is that…

How do you know what someone is wearing under their swim suit? All of my swim shorts have this mesh liner that could look like a kind of underpants if you just peered up my leg. And my swim shorts are styled to look shorts and when I am in a beach town I wear them all the time, except to go to a fancy restaurant.