Men/boys who wear underwear with swim trunks. WTF?

I always get boardshorts with the mesh liner thing. I can’t imagine wearing underwear would be comfortable; they take long enough to dry as it is. Dunno why it bothers the OP so much though.

I don’t want swim trunks clinging to my junk. I don’t want a rogue stiffy to become too obvious. I don’t want a nut to slip out when I sit down. Most of my swim trunks have the mesh liner, but it’s too loose and thin to help. True, the wet cotton is uncomfortable. Beats the alternative, in my opinion.

You worry about a nut slipping out? How long is your scrotum?

I did this as a kid once, and never again. I can’t see how wet briefs (and there’s no way you are wearing boxers) could at all be comfortable. It’s soggy and squishy and if it dries at all it’s really scratchy. Anything you wear in water should be water resistant, like swimming trunks.

I did wear shirts, though. I’ve been brought up that, if you have visible hanging belly, you don’t go shirtless, just as a matter of decorum. It’s for the same reason fat people shouldn’t wear tight clothes. It’s considered a “People of Walmart”-style thing.

And I see no evidence it bothered the OP in any sense other than the way it bothers me–it just seems odd. It’s the type of thing I would expect a kid back in my days (the 90s) getting made fun of for. It’s about the same way I feel about the speedo on anyone but professional swimmers.

Growing up (in the US), we (boys) would generally not wear underwear with bathing suits. If the suit was dry, it could be worn as if it was a pair of shorts along with a shirt of your choice while traveling around shore towns or water recreational areas. If the suit was wet (after coming out of the pool/ocean/lake/etc), one would commonly wrap a towel around their waist over the bathing suit as a makeshift skirt/sarong and wear that. It provided plenty of coverage for walking off the beach to a nearby motel/cafe/whatever. You could also wear another towel over your shoulders if you didn’t want to be fully topless and/or you were cold.

Unless you have reason to believe it’s dirty underwear (like really dirty with skidmarks and stuff, not just a little sweat), what business is it of yours if they wear it?

Yeah, that mesh insert? It chafes something awful. I know the answer is to buy a new suit, but who has the time for that?

I agree with the above poster who said that a lot of guys don’t wear swim trunks if they’re not big swimmers. They just wear shorts, which don’t have a lining. And if you’re used to wearing underwear, it feels weird to walk around all day not wearing underwear under your shorts. If you’re not a big swimmer, you’ll probably spend most of your time at the pool or at the beach on land rather than in the water, and since I normally wear underwear under my shorts, I’ll wear underwear under my shorts at the beach or at the pool as well.

I’ve worn underwear into the water many times. I don’t own swim trunks. It’s not particularly uncomfortable to have wet underwear on when you come out of the water. My shorts are wet, too.

The swim shirts are probably a combination of increased body consciousness for guys and increased skin cancer awareness.

Well, I’m almost 35, but not quite. I have worn the same size since I was 16-17, and I don’t tend to buy trendy-patterned or looking garments. I’ve always gone for stuff that would last and not have any weird out of place logos or anything. I own 2 solid swim trunks. One is from 1998 and are solid, I think Nautica brand. Then I have another from 2005- they are from Old Navy. These (swim shorts) were the common styles sold at the time. For the 1-2 times per year I have to wear them, I’ve never felt the need to upgrade my solid plain swim shorts, just as I still wear old jeans if they are in good repair and never felt the need to get ones with diamonds and glitter on the ass or anything like that.

I also know exactly when they were purchased because they were both given to me by women, my last serious GF before my wife, and my now wife. They both have much better taste in clothing and suitably dressing my package than any men.

I grew up in a Mid-Atlantic resort beach area, and only “real” surfers at the time (80s/90s) really wore board shorts, and they were purchased at specific surf/skate shops. Everyone else purchased the swim shorts sold at typical clothing stores. I lived at the ocean, and didn’t do much if any public pool swimming, but I couldn’t imagine anyone wearing board shorts at the time for rigorous swimming in a still pool.

Even now, I have a 10 year old son, and when we shop at non-specialty clothing/department stores they sell regular lined swim shorts for boys.

Typically board shorts are pretty long. So if I wore them, I’d probably not wear underwear. And I’d get ones that fit and/or adjust them to, and not wear them below my pubic area so they wouldn’t fall off and I wouldn’t flash. I don’t think anyone’s getting arrested for an accident anyway. I’ve seen plenty of accidental cracks and stuff, and I’m sure even a frontal could be accomplished without anyone noticing/caring if it’s an honest accident. If I had the need to buy some new ones, I probably would go with board shorts- and the reason why is because I don’t like the liners. But I wouldn’t replace the uncomfortable liner with another garment. Id’ just hang comfortably in longer/thicker shorts.

As far as body consciousness goes, I was a chubby kid. I grew into my body in my late teens. I always hated taking off my shirt in public, but keeping a shirt on at the pool was much worse. That would really draw attention to yourself. Of course this was before Under Armor-type stuff ( and long before it became OVER wear) and would mean wearing a heavy loose cotton shirt and moobs and bulges being accentuated.

Now, even when I’m not in the greatest shape ( I fluctuate quite a bit), I have no self consciousness as an adult. My son is 10 and has like 3% bodyfat. He would have “ripped abs,” but he doesn’t quite have the mass, yet. And he wears those shirts. I think it’s a combination of consciousness and style for him. I wish I had no body fat when I was his age.

Cotton underwear doesn’t belong underwater. Full stop. Cotton anything doesn’t belong underwater, really. I personally wouldn’t buy swim shorts without support.

Some guys dive with wet suit only. I won’t put anything on my ass that isn’t machine washable (which wet suits aren’t) so I wear a (non-banana hammock, yet thin and supportive half-thigh) Speedo when I dive. That has its own support system, but when I’m just swimming or snorkeling, swim shorts with self-contained mesh support system (internal jack-strap, really) is mandatory.

Because nobody wants to see me half naked, I wear a 1.5mm neoprene short sleeve shirt in the pool and the ocean. I usually wear the same shirt to dive in, though sometimes a long sleeve version of same with neoprene shorts, or sometimes a “farmer john” 2mm short wet suit. I don’t dive in cold water. All of these are black.

Should any of you ever meet me in vacation mode, you’re welcome.

And just try getting bike shorts on over boxers.

According to my nephew it is because a gay guy might see you and get turned on. Apparently increasing cultural awareness that gays exist has filled teen boys minds with fear lol.

I suspect it’s partly that, and partly the fact that, over the last 20 years or so, we’ve convinced our youth that there are pedophiles skulking everywhere.

Board shorts are not “designed to be worn with underwear”. They were designed for surfers who most commonly wear them without underwear because falling and waves rip regular underwear off. You do not want your legs entangled in a soggy pair of cotton briefs or boxers when being rolled around under a wave.

Boardshorts were originally designed for surfers, the stiff waist band, velcro closure and lace up ties on the fly were meant to be a fail safe because the force of a wave, or fall from ski’s or a wakeboard frequently will pull off regular mens swimwear with an elastic waist or speedo type swimwear. This effect is exacerbated if the wearer has on cotton briefs or boxers to further weigh down when hit by a wave or fall. Boardshorts are longer than traditional mens swimwear to account for the wax on a surfboard because when laying flat or sitting astride the wax on the board will pull the leg hair out.
Family full of surfers, skiers, wakeboarders, competitive swimmers, divers and waterpolo players. Different suits for different sports. The default for boys around here was to wear a speedo or jammer under the board shorts so they had what they needed whether they were headed to swimming and waterpolo or to the lake or beach for wakeboarding or surfing.

Huh? When I went to buy my son a swimsuit this year there were racks and racks of regular swim trunks with mesh liners at Target and Marshalls.

(11 years old. Mens small size shorts)

Actually I think it’s because we’ve convinced our youth that if an errant ray of sunshine hits their skin they’re going to GET SKIN CANCER AND DIE!!!

But seriously–they wear them for various reasons, including style, sun protection, and modesty. My son wears them about half the time. They look cool and he doesn’t have to get somebody to put sunscreen on his back.

Last time I was at the beach, I saw various women wearing suits with more coverage as well, including a couple who were wearing long pants and long-sleeve shirts made of some sort of swimsuitish material. Some of the women might have been doing it for religious reasons, but I think sun protection was the reason for most of them.

Its alittle late to post this but i will share my expierience) I personaly do wear underwear under the swimming trunks, because when i was about 6 or 7 years old, (we’re adults here) my foreskin got caught in those little mesh holes and a part of the skin got swollen and was very painfull for me (i can still remember that feeling). So thats why i decided to wear underwear underneath the swimming trunks and i still to this day will wear underwear underneath, no one really noticed anything different about it, which is a good thing. And i dont think its wierd at all if you wear underwear under your swimming trunks.

And also, Parents If you have young kids And had problems that i had at age 6/7. I strongly advise having your child wear a pair of underwear beneath their swim trunks to prevent that from happening. Many people had this happen also so heres one solution i found very helpfull (for me atleast). I have seen these sorts of questions pop up also, so heres that answer.

IF YOU FOUND THIS HELPFULL PLEASE REPLY,
AND IF YOU FOUND IT SOMEHOW OFFENSIVE KINDLY REPLY. THANK YOU

Zombies don’t swim.

Men’s underwear does not have to be absorbent cotton. There are synthetic fabrics that do not absorb large amounts of water, and if you can’t find any in men’s wear, look in the ladies’ aisles.

Then you can be comfortable and feel pretty. :smiley: