My Name is Earl 12/7

Her mouth seemed less full of saliva this time.

I always thought it was supposed to be a G-rated version of “Oh shit!” since you say it when something has gone wrong. Strangely enough, I’ve only heard it in Disney-produced media: Chicken Little, That’s So Raven, etc.

I’ve heard House say “Snap” more than once, in a very sarcastic way.

StG

We used to say snap (back in our marijuana induced foggy days.) It was a versatile word - you could say, “I’ve got no snap,” meaning “I can’t concentrate.” Or, speaking to someone who was less than sober, “You’ve got to snap, dude! The cops are here!” Or just talking about an airhead, “She’s got no snap.”

It’s being used now in a similar way, but the parts of speech are different, I think.

There was a thread a few months ago about what the heck “oh snap” meant, largely based on Joy’s usage.

I loved how the rock music changed - English lyrics in USA, Spanish lyrics in Mexico

…and “I just got hit by a hot penny!”

She is very sexy. So why does she still have to clean hotel rooms? They show her as a stripper (oh, hahahaha, that’s so hilarious) and it makes zero sense that she’d still be as broke as she is.

It looks like a fair bit of the money she earns goes towards paying ransoms for kidnapped relatives.

What about the scene with Joy admiring the dancing Santa?
Then she starts imitating his dance moves, shaking the tush. Great stuff.
Also loved Darnell’s diatribe on Yin and Yang. “I’m yin and you’re yang. I’m the nice one. We can’t both be yin. A family doesn’t work without yin and yang!” I know I’m butchering this scene horribly. Maybe someone who recorded it can more accurately tell it.

I’m just so mad at myself for not recording it. I know there were some great lines I just missed because of laughing so hard.

“When it gets to about nine minutes I try to make sure I’m behind her.”

That was probably my favorite line of the episode.
As for “Snap”… You guys must be some oldies or some younguns. “Snap” is as current a saying as “Word”. That’s mid-90s terminolgy and Joy’s usage of it is supposed to play into the ‘behind the times’ aspect of their world.

Just last week they made a big deal out of sending home $600 a week to keep kidnappers from harming her little brother. So she is working two jobs to help out her family.

Jim {or try not to apply to much logic or the show might shatter, let’s not even talk about the passports}

…I’m almost 35 so I’m probably between the oldies/younguns categories. For me, it’s a matter of not being involved in the hip culture that comes up with such phrases.

I’m 27 and very un-hip, and I use “snap!” in place of “sweet!” FWIW

This Earl being a selfish baby thing was sort of wearing on me, too, but then I realized it was actually a really good way to remind us that before Earl’s epiphany he really was a “bad” dude - doing mean things, stealing, beating people up, etc. A lot more like Giovanni Ribisi’s character. So we’ve got to remember that at his core Earl really is a self-centered ass and this episode showed us how he’s NOT infallible and still not the goody-goody we know him as, as viewers. Earl is really just having to try hard to not be the same selfish guy he used to be.

[QUOTE=What Exit?]
Just last week they made a big deal out of sending home $600 a week to keep kidnappers from harming her little brother. So she is working two jobs to help out her family.

Obviously with all the excitement after gambling with Catalina’s money, Earl did forget to mail the money for her brother. The last two fingers on his hand are bandaged. But why was brother running around with Bandito Dude if he was supposed to be kidnapped? And why did he take Earl’s pants?

My WAG: once the supply of money was cut off, they allowed the weasel to eat his fingers as threatened, but then turned him loose.

Jim {Yeah, that’s the ticket!}

A favorite scene not yet mentioned: Randy doing cartwheels down the fire pit.

William Schallert!

Not to derail this thread too much but “Oh, snap” has been around since at least the 80s.

It used to just be a generic expression of surprise or disdain.

Give a listen to Biz Markie’s “Just a Friend”.