Mythbusters - Airplane on a treadmill!!

Plane on a treadmill column

Comments:
Speaking of treadmills, read this.
Plane on a Treadmill, redux
A formulation of the airplane/conveyor belt problem that “works”?
Planes with “0” airspeed can fly?
Flight and the Conveyor Belt
Conveyor belt?
Plane on a Treadmill - SOLUTION
Airplane taxiing
The Airplane and the Treadmill
error in the “will the plane take off”
RE: A plane is standing on a runway. . ." No, it’s not. Here’s why.

Indeed, but some of those answering that the plane wouldn’t take off were aviators themselves.

You don’t have to be a mechanical engineer to drive a car and you don’t have to be an aeronautical engineer to fly a plane.

So… everyone who said the plane would lift off on these boards was an aeronautical engineer? I don’t follow :confused:

You don’t have to be an aeronautical engineer to know the wheels of your plane aren’t powering you down the runway to take off.

Says who? Them?

Maybe they were. Being an aviator doesn’t make you smart. I think if you asked any pilot what propelled an aeroplane on the ground they’d give you the right answer. Some people just aren’t all that flash at applying their knowledge to a “practical” problem.

You don’t have to be a weatherman to see which way the wind is blowing.

I’m saying that being an aviator doesn’t qualify you to know why a plane flies. There is no reason to give their opinion any more weight on this matter.

Actually, I took a private pilot ground school course in high school, and they spent some time explaining what made a plane fly, what each of the airfoils did and how they affected how the plane flew, and even the basics of how carberator and fuel-injection engines work, so being an aviator might actually imply some education and experience on the subject.

That said, I don’t know if such courses are required for a pilot’s certification, or even if 99.99% of such courses were as detailed on such subjects as mine was. It’s entirely possible that most courses skip that stuff and start by telling you how the airspeed gauge works.

I would be highly suspect of the ‘aviators’ on the other board that think the planes wheels propel it down the runway.