New favorite commercial(s)

Warning: Nitpick alert because I work in the industry and hey, we’re fighting ignorance here

mobo and sneezy, what you described are promos, not commercials. However, they can still be very creative, and I like the ESPN ones too. I also liked the one on USA promoting The 4400, where Maya picks a boy up from his house, bike rides with him to a baseball arena, and positions him just so with his baseball glove so when a pop fly comes sailing out he catches it.

I’m not sure what it’s advertising, but I love the commercial with Peyton Manning wearing a cheap wig and fake mustache talking about how great Peyton Manning is. Hysterical!

And also for the reason gives the impression, “I’m am the all-knowing poster. You may follow my links without information because my taste is so widely regarded that you don’t need anything more, from me, than the link.”

The explanation, “it’s better if you don’t know what it is going in” doesn’t move one away from that impression.

I have enough to click on on a daily basis not to visit undescribed links. My loss, I guess.

No, it’s not.

As long as we’re speaking about promos, and ivylass brought up USA, I like the promos which feature the characters from Psych, Monk and The Dead Zone interacting with each other. One features the lead from Psych and the lead from The Dead Zone (I don’t watch those shows, so I don’t know the character names) at a diner arguing about which one has the worst “special power:” prediciting the future or viewing the past by touching someone. They stare over at the next table, where Adrian Monk is counting out exactly 100 kernels of corn, and agree that life could be worse.

I’ve never seen a “Jack-in-the Box” commercial I didn’t like.

And the love the “Las Vegas – What happens here stays here” campaign. I try to imagine what those suburbanites did in Vegas that was so nasty and sinful.

I love both of those!

I also like the one for Blues Clues on Comcast. Little kids dressed in professional attire calling in sick to work so they can watch cartoons. “I got a little throat thing.” I don’t know why, but it cracks me up.

I was wondering if the person in that commercial was supposed to be that Peyton Manning person, I gathered from the context that he was a football player. Knowing that it actually is him adds some extra funny for me.

I like the Jeep commercial with King Kong and a pal (Mrs. Kong?) mistaking a Jeep for an edible insect. I don’t know whether “Giant gorillas don’t like the taste of this car” is a very good selling point, though.

Well, its certainly better then “Giant gorillas DO like the taste of this car.”

Well, one could argue it’s not a very good commercial, is it, if you don’t remember the product!

Is it some video game?

My current favorite is the family getting to their vacation by jumping on trains like hobos. The hobos who were there first, commiserate with the father who said his miles were blacked out. My favorite part was where the young girl asks who smells like old cheese and it turns out that the culprit is Earl. The last part of the commercial is where Grandma gets off the train by jumping. She says the catchphrase, “What’s in your wallet?”. Much funnier watching it than by my explanation.

Vonage commercials used to be awful, but I’ve liked their new ones, especially the woman going to play with the “dolphins.”

Some Sprint/Nextel phone/service that lets you retreive NFL info on your Sprint/Nextel phone.

I heart Peyton Manning.

Consider the number of Peyton Manning commercials/promos:

NFL Network - “Checking to Pancakes, Pancakes!”
ESPN - Manning family tours the headquarters
Sprint/Nextel - Peyton in a weird mustache
Mastercard - “Sorry to bother you Teddy but would you sign my melon?”
Gatorade - Peyton is “birthed” from a pseudo-pigskin then drinks Gatorade Rain
Direct TV - Colts are beating the Titans and ready to score when Peyton starts talking to us about switching to Direct TV

Consider also that if you watch ESPN or other sports networks, or the NFL games on the weekend that these commercials run many times over and over…that’s ALOT of Peyton Manning!!!

Luckily, most of them are good–my favorite still is Mastercard where he goes to the grocery store, diner, auto repair shop, etc, but I wish they would bring back the other one where he’s tailgating at the office building–“Let’s go Insurance Adjusters, let’s go!!!”

Yes it is. I give you this post to the OP.

I love the fact that you can click on a link and not know what is coming. I trust my fellow Dopers and can tell when I am being led to a laugh.

I’ve never been disappointed by a Jack-In-The-Box ad. I especially liked the one before the cheerleader, where they showed a group of guys in awe of their new burger, completely ignoring first a motorcycle, the Big Game, and finally two co-eds in lingerie having a pillow-fight. Jack and an exec are watching, open-mouthed, and the exec whispers “We can rule the world!”

FWIW, I posted a thread in IMHO - here is a link to it asking how Dopers felt about links in thread where little/no context is provided. I figured it was worth asking about and also giving this thread a better chance to stay on topic…

I, um…I like the King :o

Jack In The Box has consistently been awesome, though.

There’s this DirecTV commerical with William Shatner doing Star Trek. Now, is it just me, or did the commerical actually use the music from Star Trek: The Next Generation at the end of the commerical and not the theme from the original series?