No Turn On Red Signs

“No Right Turn on Red” signs are also heavily in use with heavy pedestrian traffic or at intersection angles such that it is difficult for the driver to see traffic coming from the left.

Many injuries to pedestrians have occurred at Red Light intersections where the driver turns right on red while ignoring pedestrian traffic. “No Right Turn on Red” signs (when pedestrians are present) have been proposed to ameliorate this situation.

It used to be that a red light meant “stop, until its no longer red, period.” Some localities legalized, “turn after stop.” As a fuel-saving measure, during the 70s?, “right turn after stop” was made the default law nationally, but localities could change it.

Wow, that explains a lot. I live in an area heavily populated by snowbirds from Quebec in the winter.

Around the holidays, traffic is already hectic, but when you add in a bunch of people who don’t take perfectly legal rights on a red, it gets to be soooo frustrating. :smack:

Now at least I know why.

For serious. Bicyclists in particular seem to believe that it’s just nifty to turn left on red.

Some, I’m sure. That said, as a pedestrian I’d like to see a whole lot MORE “no right on red” signs. Plenty of drivers seem to think that the fact that there’s no “no right on red” sign overrides the “walk” signal. Douchebags.

I wasn’t there so may well be wrong: many lights are triggered by inductive sensors that ignore bicycles. Many jurisdictions provide for this case in thier traffic codes.