No, YOU fucking think about it.

Lemme guess: She suggested that the both of you go to marriage counciling, but after the third session, you noticed that you were the only one bothering to show up.

I’d wondered where my ex-wife[1] had gotten to. Get out. Stay with your folks. Get your life together, and move on. It worked for me. Just remember, you’ve stored up all sorts of karma. Things will get better, you just have to move through the rough patch first.

One piece of advice, hie thee to a lawyer now. Make sure you’re well represented, and you retain your rights.

[1] NOT Mrs. Magill, who is the most wonderful woman in the world.

Walk away, brother. Walk quickly.

Don’t leave checkbook. Don’t leave ATM card. Leave some cash if you like; realize you’ll never see that cash again- but cash runs out and can’t get you in trouble with the bank.

Keep us updated.

I was wondering about that, too. If she’s a wonderful woman who suddenly turned into a paranoid bitch overnight, I don’t think she’s being mean on purpose. I’m betting that there’s a problem which needs to be addressed, perhaps with medication.

Don’t leave the ATM card or checkbook. You need access to the money too. Leave cash.

Call her physician (or any other care providers) and any relatives and friends your wife may have. Inform them of the situation. Then call your attorney and inform her of the situation.

Then pack up your stuff and move. Into a hotel if necessary.

It’s terrible that she’s ill. It’s also not your fault and you can’t fix her. You are not a medical professional. What she needs is a medical professional - possibly more than one. Letting her destroy your life and hers won’t help either of you.

Please tell me there’s no kids. Or if they’re are, you’re taking them with you.

Get out now. Don’t look back. In time you will see this as a learning experience, but you can’t fix her. Only she can fix her.

Let us know when you’re free. Then continue to work on you, and then one day, you’ll be ready for your soul mate when you finally meet her. This one ain’t it.

Like some other posters have indicated, I, too, feel like you are to some extent telling my story. When I was in grad school I got involved with a woman 8 years older than me. It was my first real relationship. She was coming off her 3rd divorce. She was manic-depressive (mostly depressive) and I guess I was in the “savior” role. Luckily we never married, but we lived together for a couple of years. She could be sweet, and we shared the same professional interests and many of the same hobbies and leisure interests.

She saw a psychologist a couple of times a week, and I often went to be there for her. She was on several medications. She was dropped from her graduate program because she couldn’t bring herself to go to class or work on her research. Some weekends she never got out of bed hardly at all. For a short while, we had the same job giving environmental tours to kids. Often, I had to cover for her when she wouldn’t get out of bed. (You can’t just leave 90 school kids in the lurch when they’ve been planning the tour for months).

But I did love her and I tried with everything I had to “make it better.” I did everything I knew how to be there for her. Her main (by far) expression of emotion was anger and bitterness. Anger at the world. Anger at God. Anger at me. I got it with both barrels over and over again. I put up with it the best I could. I never could imagine that one person could be so hateful and full of poisonous destruction. I was accused of all sorts of things. Had to face broken dishes against the wall. Screaming fits of rage. Unrestrained paranoia. Numerous suicide threats. And it was all my fault. Later when she would come out of it she would apologize. But the next day or week–more of the same.

I can remember many times driving home from work pulling up in front of the house and just sitting there in the car. Wondering to myself who was I walking in to tonight, the sweet one…or the demon. Praying, please let this be a peaceful night. Just for once. Please.

Most times it was the demon.

But I did not want to leave her. Part of it was that I felt obligated (and a big part of it was that I really truly did care for her). Like the OP, I tended to avoid conflict. I swallowed a lot of the pain and did not let on too much. I felt that I couldn’t leave her (she obviously needed help) and, after all, I promised to be there for her and I told her that of course I loved her and would not leave. So, how could I do that to her? Wouldn’t that just confirm he accusations that she couldn’t count on me?

My prayer to God each night was twofold-- to help her get better and for God to give me the wisdom and patience to do right by her. I tried to be her life preserver, hey buoy when she was sinking in the well. But it kept getting thrown back in my face. I was sinking along with her.

I cancelled trips to visit my family because she didn’t want to go and I could not even hint about going anywhere by myself. She made me feel guilty if I as much considered seeing a movie by myself. Lunch with a co-worker? Forget it. My time was not my own. It was hers.

Well, to wrap this up (and I have hardly scratched the surface of the pain she gave me–undeserved anger and bitterness and accusations directed at you hurts, man. It HURTS.), I never did leave her. I was too weak. She ended up deciding to leave on her own account. The circumstances surrounding this are extremely complicated, but it involved cheating on her part (I found out about that in an extremely painful way).

It’s easy for people like that to not give a moment’s notice to the pain they inflict on others. I never was the least bit unfaithful to her (good lord, I couldn’t even *talk * to another woman!) and I tried for 2 1/2 years, but she could throw me over for a stranger in a matter of days? Boy howdy does that hurt. Why did I even try all that time?

But I’m glad she did. I was out. She moved and asked if I wanted her new phone number and address. I said no.

That was 8 years or so ago. I never saw her or heard from her again after that. She no longer has any hold over me or my emotions. I’m totally over that period in my life although I still carry the memory. I *remember * the pain, though no longer feel it–does that make sense?)

I’m happily married to a beautiful and sweet lady. Many of the lessons I learned about sticking up for myself and not internalizing so much have borne good fruit for my marriage. I learned a lot. So something good came out of it.

I thought about not posting this because she was always a fan of the Straight Dope books. Don’t know if she ever came across this message board, and who knows, she might even read this at some point. But screw it. It is what it is.

I think you’re right - I think she needs help, and is not really herself. But, and this is a huge but, (almost typed two t’s there, heh), this is black455’s life, too. He mentions that this has been going on for five years, if I’m reading correctly, and that he’s making all kinds of effort, and she’s making none, for whatever reason. There comes a point where you have to rescue your own life, regardless of why the other person is doing what they’re doing. That “stand by your woman/man” mentality only works in country songs.

It sounds like she’s very afraid of black455 leaving, and is doing everything possible to make it happen (i.e. self-sabotage). She very definitely needs counselling, but if she isn’t willing to do anything to fix the problems, I do think that black455 needs to look after himself.

I guess it’s rude to post my story in someone else’s thread. Sorry, black455. I don’t have any advice for you, but maybe you can feel a few kindred souls in this thread (me included) and know that you are not alone in what you are facing. Some of use have been there, man.

I believe you. You are one of the good guys. A “nice guy” that tries hard and all you get in return is punishment from the one you love.

Maybe my story will encourage you to be strong. Stand up for yourself and for your interests. It may hurt right now, but **believe me ** it will hurt a lot worse if she calls an end to it on her terms rather than yours. If she is truly an emotionally destructive force (and only you can answer that question), you don’t want to continually put yourself in the path of that destruction. A person can only take so much.

Good for you for getting out of there. She clearly has problems, but there’s no reason for her to drag you down with her. Hang in there, and good luck.

Please remember that marriage is not just a joyful union, but a legal contract. If you are leaving, you HAVE to do it right. Consult a lawyer, right now. Somethings that might sound like good ideas might actually hurt you down the road.

Wish I had something positive to say, but I don’t. The posters inthis thread have given you some good advice, advice that could save your life.

Hmm. She doesn’t let him have a social life. She accuses him of infidelity, then makes him feel guilty for making her suspicious. In fact, it seems that anytime something goes wrong, it’s his fault, and when it proves not to be his fault, it’s still his fault for making her think it was his fault. But, really, she’s a wonderful woman who’s just having a bad time and needs help to get through it. It’s not her fault she’s acting like this. She can’t help it, she just gets mad, sometimes.

Fuck that noise. This woman is flat out abusive. If the genders were reversed, black455 would be wearing dark glasses a lot and explaining how he’s “clumsy.” I’ve got no more sympathy for her than I do for a guy who smacks his wife when dinners not on the table when he gets home.

Good luck, black455. Just remember, it’s not your fault and it’s not your responsibility. Lawyer up and make sure you’re well protected from this abuser so she can’t keep hurting you. And get some counseling. You have to recognize that you have nothing to feel guilty about, here, and the sooner you can fully internalize that, the sooner you can finally and completely break her hold over you. A good therapist can make that happen even faster.

Preach it. It’s good to get it out. Helps perspective. And perhaps it is time to go. Who knows, I may be posting something simnilar soon myself but it’s a little too early to speculate.

My best wishes.

Inky

Yes, you do. Trust me, that first step is a killer. But after that it gets easier.

I agree, he doesn’t have to be dragged through hell any more, but if she’s seeing a doctor, he should give that person a head’s up at least. Knowing that a person is possibly sick and not necessarily a big asshole changes how you approach the problem. I sure as hell wouldn’t want to be in his shoes.

black445 did her “mysterious change” begin when you started getting counseling. Sometimes having one partner get healthy can be very threatening to the other partner.

It sounds like you rescued your damsel in distress, and then realized that there was a reason for her distress, one that she doesn’t want to fix.

You aren’t leaving because you don’t love her enough. You said it yourself:

You’ve done what you could, and now you realize that your help isn’t enough to save her if she insists on drowning.

You must have a kick-ass therapsit, btw. Good for you for being brave enough to face all of this.

black445, do you know why divorce is so expensive? Because it’s worth it. No matter how much it costs or the amount of emotional pain there are some traps you’ve got to get out of even if you have to chew your leg off. Lifeboat rules man, save yourself.

black455, please come back and update us. We worry, you know?

Sorry about that. I’ve been contemplating how to word the update for the past couple of days, and end up doing things to get my mind off of it instead.

I appreciate everyone’s support and advice. divemaster, your story was indeed helpful. It helps to be reminded that our situation isn’t unique in the history of the world, and that other people have had similar experiences and lived to tell about it.

For those of you who are curious, concerned, or just bemused at my naivete:

The ATM card and checkbook aren’t really that much of a problem. There’s currently no money in the account, and I could have my office change my direct deposit without any problems. My savings (such as they are) and credit cards are all in my name, anyway.

She’s been in therapy for literally decades with the same psychiatrist, and is well aware of her own mental illness, at least in the non-depressive periods. It’s actually something as a pain in the ass for me, because she feels that spending so much time in therapy, being introspective, and analyzing her own emotions has made her qualified to analyze (and judge) other people. Problem is, when other’s opinions and judgements about themselves condradict what she’s determined is their problem, she’s mighty quick to start accusing the other person of being dishonest. EG, it took her two years to come around to the notion that I do indeed have ADD, and it does affect my interpersonal relationships.

Her therapist is good people, though. Though she’s ultimately there for my wife, and my wife only, she apparently hasn’t hesitated to back me up when she thinks what my wife is trying to pull bullshit. If it came down to it, I know that I could call her, and she would help my wife get hospitalized.

Oookay… the update:

There was no way in hell I was going to be able to get to sleep Thursday night, so I just decided to fuck around on the web. At about two in the morning, my wife walked in.

I told her that I don’t actually have a problem with her hanging out with her old boyfriends. Truth be told, I do trust her implicitly - on any other day, I would have been fine with the idea of her hanging out with whatsisname for a couple of hours. Even the other night, I didn’t expect her to be unfaithful; what hurt the most was that she would deliberately be so hateful.

Believe it or not, she apologized, and we talked for a few more hours.

I made it absolutely clear that I was absolving myself of the consequences of any of her actions from that day forward. She’s not allowed to make me responsible for her own sense of self-worth any more.

As y’all can probably guess, she’s not to happy with the idea.

Still, she seems to accept the logic of it, and though we may have to fight about it again, I think she knows that it’s a positive step.

For my part (please, nobody hit me), I agreed to make more active affirmations of my commitment to our relationship. I can see how this is a problem; since I’m the one working, doing most of the chores, going to school, and taking care of the things that she can’t “handle,” I do tend to get irrationally irritated when I start feeling that she’s deliberately not making any tangible contributions. Though I say “I love you” a dozen times a day, I don’t often let her know how impressed I am with her intelligence, empathy, insight, kindness, and sense of humor. She needs those intangibles, and while it’s not fair to hitch your entire sense of self-worth to them, it is fair to expect them from the partner who states that he intends to spend the rest of his life with you.

Anway, we actually slept in the same bed together, and (TMI!!!) made love for the first time in months.

I’m sure there are going to be plenty of you who might think I’m an idiot for letting her blind me with body fluids and not hightailing it. You might be right.

Still, until Thursday night, I never really occured to me that leaving her is an option that’s actually on the table. I’d always thought when push came to shove, it would be me who completely fucked things up, and not my poor, sainted wife.

Maybe it’s because I was raised Catholic and she wasn’t.

Anyway, I think my balls are finally descending from my abdomen. I’m going to do what I can to make sure that we never have another day like Thursday, but if she doesn’t do her part, too, I know that I can make it stop.

Frankly, this being the Pit and all, I’m a little disappointed that nobody called me a giant flaming asshole who deserves all the misery in the universe, but I think I can live with it.

Thanks, everybody. You’ve been a big help.

Like others have said, you may not want advice, but from your writing, I found a link that you may want to explore-BPD. YOur girlfriend might have something like a personality disporder, and not just straight depression. THe Abandonment issue is a HUGE one with BPD people.

http://tearsandhealing.com/borderline-personality-disorder.htm?referrer=yah-notcrzy-get-learnstop
http://www.bpdcentral.com/resources/basics/main.shtml

Best of luck to you.

Sam

Whatever you do in the future, whatever you’ve done, be strong in yourself and take care. I highly doubt we’re the only ones who appreciate having you around. :wink: