North of the north pole?

The secret opening to Pellucidar? :stuck_out_tongue:

How come I can start going west in the Western Hemisphere and end up the in the Eastern Hemisphere?

Others have pre-stolen my idea, but I like my phrasing better:

“What’s North of the North Pole?” My, what a silly question! That’s like asking “What existed just before the Big Bang?”

Because once you go past the West Pole, any direction you travel takes you East.

The South Pole.

Turtles, all the way down.

I want to steal this thread, if you bring a compus to the magnetic north pole which direction does it point, if you’re holding it and standing directly over it. You’d assume down, but what if you are holding the compus parallel to the earth and not perpendicular to it? Does it just spin around???

It won’t point in any particular direction - it will either remain pointing in whatever direction it is placed, or it will tend to point in whatever direction may be slightly favoured by any small manufacturing defects.

What’s north of the North Pole?

Santa’s Workshop, loc. 91 deg, N

Amazing how persistent this meme is. If it did, that’d be an awfully easy perpetual motion machine, wouldn’t it?

This is only true in the USA. Since Canada owns the real North Pole, we can afford to send our christmas letters to where Santa really lives.

And we get to use a nifty postal code H0H 0H0 when we send letters to Santa! :slight_smile:

You are assuming that you can actually reach the north pole in the first place. Once you get halfway there, you still have to get to the next halfway point. To infinity.

To get to the North Pole that way, you need to go by sub. And you need to launch from those two docks over there, which belong to Xeno. :stuck_out_tongue:

I will allow that Canada’s North Pole is real, but it would be preposterous to suggest that Alaska’s North Pole is not real. :dubious: More than 1600 North Polish Americans would be sincerely offended by the suggestion that they do not exist. :cool:

The quote as I’ve often heard it is “You are foolish to ask what came before the Big Bang, as this is like asking what’s north of the north pole.” The implication being that while a child looking at a flat map might be confused a sophisticate with a globe wouldn’t even ask, and therefore a sophisticate in cosmology would supposedly never ask what came before the Big Bang. But of course that whole line of reasoning is false, as many great minds have pondered what came before and offered many different scenarios.

Why? I’d think that’s no more true than a claim that wind generators, solar cells, geothermal, or any other “free” source of energy constitutes perpetual motion. If there were an effect that caused compass needles to spin at the the North Pole (e.g., if the electromagnetic field there rotated about the pole - setting aside the question of how that could be happening at a place known precisely for the constancy of its magnetic field), the energy to spin the needle would presumably be drawn from the magnetic field, from the the Earth’s rotation, or both.

In fact, I’m guessing that if you had a really really low-friction compass and really could find that mythical point of balance of all magnetic effects, that the needle would spin slowly (once per 24 hours) for the same reason that a Foucault pendulum works.

Actually, Foucault pendulums need motors to prevent slowing-down due to friction. But I get your general point.

What? I don’t exist? Why is the picture on my driver’s license disappearing…

PS-I never thought of myself as North Polish. Neat term.

That’s Zeno’s Pole.