Nothing Ever Comes to No Good Up On Choctaw Ridge (Mysteries in pop music)

Probably, but the final verse works just as well if Tony shot Rico and got the chair or life in Sing Sing. (Working on the assumption that there was some reason for asking the question, which may not be a safe assumption.)

Well, it’s been awhile since I saw the interview (it was on VH1, I think) but “I won’t do that” reiterates the last thing he said he wouldn’t do. For instance, in the first verse he says “. . .but I’ll never forget the way you feel right now . . .”

Did that make sense? I totally got it after I heard it explained but it sure wasn’t clear to me before.

ArizonaTeach is right on the money… this isn’t a “Who put the bop in the bop-sh-bop?” type query. That’s not really a mystery to be unravelled.

Who’s so vain is a fair response, although it’s really kind of a mix between the song and real life. The victim at the Copacabana is exactly what I was thinking of – a mystery wholly within the world of the song.

He will never lie to you
Never forget the way you feel right now
Never forgive himself if we don’t go all the way tonight
Never do it better than he does it with you

Or something like that

SSG Schwartz

Eh, who cares. The book of love is long and boring anyway, and nobody can lift the damned thing.

Not sure what you mean. The first verse is about a friend of John’s who was decapitated in car crash, and John read about it in the news (He blew his mind out in car/he hadn’t noticed that the light had changed–he blew through a red light). The final verse was about all the holes they counted at Blackburn Lancashire, and how they planned to fill the holes.

Sure it is! Who was that man? I’d like to shake his hand! He made my baby fall in love with me!

Someone ought to start a thread.

You know, come to think of it, I don’t think Kenneth ever did tell us what the frequency was.

What is God’s Plan?
Are Mages human, and if so, why was nothing written about them in God’s Plan?
When will they start with the Keeping Secrets books already? [sorry]

Yeah, the big-bellied sheriff and the judge who “said guilty to a make-believe crime,” and whose supper was waiting at home:

*Well, they hung my brother before I could say
The tracks he found while on his way
To Andy’s house and back that night were mine. . . .

That’s the night the lights went out in Georgia
That’s the night they hung an innocent man . . . .*

So no mystery there . . . .

Well, there’s the mystery of no forensics or ballistics tests, which would have proved that the bullet that killed Andy Warlow didn’t come from her brother’s gun, or perhaps shown that the time of death was much earlier than the shot that was fired to flag down the Georgia Patrol. But yeah, not quite what I was thinking of, either. :slight_smile:

Why does it always rain on him?

Am I the only one who thought that Billy Joe was chucking a baby off the bridge? A dead baby, but still, that’s what the hoopla was all about?

whole songs. A Horse With no Name
American Pie.
How good does it feel to be free.
I answer quite mysteriously
are birds free from the chains of the skyway?
Well are they.?
Who let the dogs out?

In “Should I Stay or Should I Go,” the speaker never reveals whether he ultimately stayed or goed.

Nearest federal penitentiary? Nevada, AFAIK, only has the one attached to Nellis Air Force Base.

But he was in Folsom Prison, a state pen.

I had heard there was a lot of rampant speculation as to what precisely had happened. It seems apparent that somebody died - but the 4000 holes, were they bullet holes (he committed suicide), or herion needle tracks (he overdosed)? And supposedly it was Paul who died (to be replaced by a doppleganger). Okay, so it’s not a mystery anymore, but I know the song generated a lot of rampant speculation when it came out.

They found him “Guilty!” in a make believe trial; then the judge, if recall, slapped the sheriff on the back with a smile.

So, what’s with the lights? Were they using an electric gallows?

Can’t believe I’m the first to say this: who shot the deputy, if it wasn’t the guy who admittedly shot the sheriff? Or was the deputy not even shot? And if not, why mention him at all? Maybe it’s supposed to be a mitigating factor: “Yeah, I shot the sheriff. But, hey – I did not shoot the deputy. Could have; gave it a pass.”

Apparently, Charlie is still riding on the MTA.