Nothing Ever Comes to No Good Up On Choctaw Ridge (Mysteries in pop music)

Meant to add: Do you think the song (“Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia”) has a subtext of incestuous jealousy? That was a theme in a number of old narrative ballads; might be carried on in the American redneck narrative song tradition.

If it wasn’t Bob Marley or Eric Clapton, who did shoot the deputy?

Maybe the deputy got shot by Johnny Cash in Reno. They say motiveless crimes are the hardest to solve.

Why did Uncle Slayton have to leave Texas?

He wasn’t convicted of the crime in Reno, but rather of a murder in California. Either the murder was unsolved, or Nevada authorities decided not to extradite.

Long? Hell, it’s only four chapters

I think it might of been one of them there “metaphors.”

I never did find out whose shirt Major Tom was wearing.

I always wondered what Paul McCartney said that was so wrong as to end his relationship in “Yesterday.” Probably said the same thing to Heather Mills. :wink:

What exactly did Paul Simon do with Julio do down by the schoolyard? All we know is that it was against the law and the mama pajama saw it. Some have speculated it was sex but I doubt that would have been put on the cover of Newsweek.

The only people who are wondering about “Louie, Louie” are the ones who have listened only to the Kingsmen’s version. The real lyrics are distinguishable in earlier recordings. See here – http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_316.html

My girlfriend and I were laughing about this the other day. I suggested exposing themselves to children.

Well, there are some unresolved paternity issues in Friend of the Devil by The Grateful dead:

Got a wife in Chino, babe
And one in Cherokee
First one says she’s got my child
But it don’t look like me

I figure he doesn’t know what it was himself. “One day everything was fine and the next day my suitcase is out on the lawn. I dunno, musta said something wrong.”

I think the wrong thing that he said to Heather Mills was “How do you do, I’m Paul McCartney.”

There’s something mysterious and sinister going on in Plush by Stone Temple Pilots:

*Where ya going to tommorrow?
Where ya going with that mask I found?
And I feel, and I feel
When the dogs begin to smell her
Will she smell alone?

When the dogs do find her
Got time, time, to wait for tomorrow*

Are these cadaver dogs? Why’s the guy got a mask? Is he a serial killer?

Carly Simon claimed You’re So Vain was about a composite of men. Some thought it was about Mick Jagger, but he sang backup on that album. She said the original title was I Pity You, Ben, and she named no particular Ben. However, she later named her son Ben. So, we still don’t know.

Who really killed that guy in Long Black Veil? We know it wasn’t the singer, who was in the arms of his best friend’s wife.

A radical priest comes to get him released, so you might be on to something.

See, that was part of my argument too. It’s a natural assumption.

Where *do *you go to my lovely, when you’re alone in your bed?

And what method of locomotion does it entail?

Sasha Distel seemed to think it involved a childhood in the back streets of Naples, do you time travel? Is the bed a TARDIS?

:confused:
She’s given out letters in the person’s name, hasn’t she? A, E, and R. Warren Beatty is the one that always seems to get the nod (Carly Simon said “There’s nothing in the song that refers to Mick” when she was duetting with Janet Jackson on another song).

I’ve got one…what happened in Richard Marx’s “Hazard”? The video implies it was the sheriff, I think, but that doesn’t quite fit the context of the song at all.

Regarding “Epic” - I’ve heard masturbation before, but seriously, how does that fit the lyrics?

It’s pretty clear from context that it was 14 k of g in a f p d

Someone left the cake out in the rain
and I don’t think that I can take it
'cause it took so long to bake it
and I’ll never have that recipe again
Oh, no!

[ul]
[li]Who left the cake out in the rain?[/li][li]Did they do it on purpose, or what?[/li][li]It’s just a cake. Why did it take so long to bake it?[/li][li]What happened to the recipe?[/li][li]Why the angst? It’s just a cake.[/li][/ul]
I could say more.