Official Mayan End of the World Thread. Midnight tonight. Post your observations.

If Leaffan is correct, it will be at the solstice at 6:12 AM EST tomorrow morning, so I’m not sure what’s going on with those Aussies. Maybe that’s just a normal Thursday night for them?

Why does it have to happen the moment the calendar rolls over? Couldn’t The End happen at any time during that day, right up to 11:59 PM (in whatever time zone you want to pretend is relevant)?

Songs for before and after:

Waiting for the End of the World

Ever Since the World Ended

The Yucatan (Mayan homeland) is in US Central time, so the 12th Baktun should change over to the 13th around 9 hours from now. Party down, people, this Baktun began in late November of 1618.

This does not fit with my schedule and it is severely fucking up my alcohol and drug consumption regimen. I am nothing if not meticulous about the damage I do to myself.

8:22 am here on 21 December in Australia. No signs of anything unusual, no more zombies on the road than normal.

Just got a text from Rahu – he’s seriously considering calling the whole thing off.

I think he wants to see how this fiscal cliff thing works out, plus Die Hard 5 is coming out in January.

Yeah, but as stated above, it won’t happen until midnight in the Mayan time zone, so there are still over 8 hours left, and about 5 additional hours if it happens on the solstice.

I recall there was similar speculation when Harold Camping’s doomsday dates came around last year; it makes a lot more sense if whatever is going to happen occurred all at once (especially something like a planet smacking into Earth).

It is 10:30 pm here. The power went out an hour ago but the generator kicked in so my Castle Milk Stout is still cold. No sign of the apocalypse yet but I am a bit low on beer. :eek:

It’s just after 6 AM in Thailand. Everything looks OK. Sky is lightening in the SouthEast, where I see a bright Star – I hope it’s just Venus and not some Mayan Goddess-Star of Destruction. Wife and daughter seem to be going about their usual morning activities, as though we were all still alive. Exception is son, who’d be up and playing computer games, but is instead sleeping in. That is calendar-related but not Mayan: Friday is not one of the days that he’s allowed to play computer games.

In the time it took me to type above paragraph, SouthEastern sky has brightened a bit more. I’m turning optimistic! :cool:

the mayan exhibit at u of p is giving the date as dec. 23rd.

so there are still a few shopping days 'till the end of the world or festivus; which ever comes first.

meanwhile happy solstice and party like it is 13.0.0.0.0!

Well, they did get some good pics of 4179 Toutatis a couple weeks ago. That could eventually be a fun encounter.

Well, it’s getting dark where I am, the wind is howling, the waves are roaring and the rain is falling. Looks like everything is spot on schedule.

12:37 am in Germany, and the closest thing to disaster right now is that I still have Christmas packages sitting around waiting for me to finish wrapping them up so I can bring them to the post office. Why didn’t I do this a week ago? Why am I always taken by surprise by Christmas? I suck.

However, no signs of earthquake, tsunami, unexplained rumbles or great flashes of fire or Cthulhu rising from the depths to destroy our fragile mortal minds. Bit of a letdown, really. So far, at least.

England here, and as the apocalypse arrives, strange lights are visible in the sky, which has taken on a curious hue.

[edit] I have checked with emergency services and they tell me that it is a rare meterological condition known as a “clear sky”, and the points of light are “stars”.

Uh oh. Getting windy in Columbus. At this rate, the wind will be going 400mph by tomorrow. I’ll keep you all posted.

(Non believers will point out that there’s a winter storm that’s headed this way, but I know better)

Rotation Of Earth Plunges Entire North American Continent Into Darkness! (The Onion)

11:25 am Australian EDST - the only disaster today is that I’m at work right now and have to cut the lawn when I get home.

I hope the human race uses this to fake its own death and assume a new identity.

My city (Annapolis, MD) just plunged into darkness with a major power outage. If I weren’t listening to the scanner I might get worried…

Best post of the last 396 years!

Sadly, I suspect you should prepare to be disappointed. Consider the average human, then consider that half the human race is even stupider than that.