Origins Game Fair 2008

Candid, I’m about 75% certain that I played a game with you but you meet so many people at the con who can tell except about the most eccentric. If some large crazy guy offered you candy then it was me.

Heheh. No, no offers of candy that I recollect - my path didn’t cross with any Dopers of which I am aware…

I spent far too much time at Puffing Billy trying to win at Eurorails. Never did manage to even get 3rd at it. :stuck_out_tongue: Otherwise it was a pretty good con. Had some good games, made a couple of finals, and made the top 10 of the Puffing Billy list.

But I never did make it up to the CABS room.

I exposed myself to three new tabletop systems, two of which (Candlewick Manor and Demon Hunters) I particularly enjoyed.

First, I had never done Call of Cthulhu. It’s an interesting system, though, from what little I played it seems to spend a significant portion on the puzzle solving/survival aspect of a tabletop RPG and sacrifices the role-play a bit.

I also played the “Candlewick Manor” subset of the “Monsters and Other Childish Things” system. In the original Monsters system, you play as children that control monsters with unique powers. However, the monsters sometimes have ideas of their own (frequently involving eating people). In Candlewick Manor, the powers that monsters have are instead given to the children directly, and the children themselves are orphans who don’t remember their lives before they were orphaned, save some echoes of memory. Think Little Orphan Annie meets Call of Cthulhu. I got to play a girl who sees dead people (and is kind of sick of it) and can order them around. We discovered a decade-old coverup of murder and attempted genetic experimentation. My character ended up being kind of the de facto lead since I was the only one who could interact with (and for that matter see) the ghost of the person who was murdered.

Then there was Demon Hunters, a system using the Cortex core system. I had played Cortex in the guise of the Serenity system once at a con, and even have the Serenity RPG book, so I was pretty familiar with how the system worked (though, they’ve tweaked Cortex a bit since then). The main premise is the struggle between the agents of Heaven and Hell and the two major mortal groups that work for each side. It’s kind of an In Nomine meets Call of Cthulhu meets Kung Fu cinema meets Men In Black meets Get Smart meets Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It contains everything from awakened trees to syphilitic vampires to junk monks (i.e. they’re preferred method of fighting is punches to the 'nads) to the more mundane normal (but well trained) humans.