Please help! I am beyond terrified. There is a mouse in my apt.

Ask woman friends, too. You sure have plenty who are not afraid of mice, like me. My reaction at your mouse would be a squee of delight, and then, if I saw you disappearing into your bedroom, a mousefriendly method of removal and -prevention.

These work very well. Get the one’s for a rat, one shot, one kill. Also, if you don’t want to touch it, put a six inch or so loop of string on the end so you can carry it out at an arms length. But you’ll be surprised that by the time you get to the garbage you might say ‘hey, that’s not so bad’ and squeeze the trap open so the mouse falls in the garbage and you can reuse the trap for next time.

Anyways, here’s the big trick, buy a Milky Way and load the trap with that. The mice are small enough that they might not trip it if you just put something like peanut butter on it, but if you wedge a piece of Milky Way into the little cup they have to tug at it and that’ll trip it. This is straight from the Orkin Guy and I’ve done it a handful of times…but only in my (attached) garage. They’ve never made it into the house.
Lastly. With this trap, the little bait cup comes out of the bottom, but I’ve found the easiest way is to just step on the back end with my foot and keep my foot there while I load the trap and make sure the tripping mechanism isn’t hindered by the bait (you’ll see what I mean). Then move you’re foot and you’re good to go.
I bet you’ll have you’re mouse inside of an hour.

ETA, I’d probably do this on the linoleum. There will be blood. Okay, there’s sometimes blood. This trap snaps pretty hard.

I use live traps adn rehome mousies in a field a mile or so away from my house. But you could buy a ratzapper, which humanely (?) fries the poor little guy.

StG

Jesus, thank you! So glad someone can relate. You’re right; this is tough, but I can do it. I will leave this bedroom, and I will kill this motherfucker to death.

I swear I’m really mean and tough and everything! But goddamn critters of all kinds… they just… fuckers!

Headed over to Ace in two shakes. This and the other trap advised in this thread are offered there. I’m using every method and device known to man short of Napalm to make sure this thing dies today. Rat trap and Milky Way bar coming right up. Also, the blood thing freaks me out, but I have hardwood floors, so I don’t have to worry about messing up my carpet.

I’m almost tempted despite the $42 price tag due to the no guts factor, and it being enclosed, but this bastard goes down today no matter what.

You could put the whole thing in a paper bag and after it snaps, just pick it all up, blood and all (which only happens some of the time) and put it in the garbage.
The first time I did this, I had a string on it, but then I was like “it’s soooo tiny, and I’d like to keep this trap” and it wasn’t a big deal to just hold it over the garbage and squeeze the trap open. The mouse is small and the trap is big, you’re pretty far removed from it.

I’ve been telling myself for 30 min that I’m going to take a shower and go to Ace. I have not taken a shower or gone to Ace. I’m going to take a shower and go to Ace now.

Paper bag seems good. A little squeamish about mouse blood.

Also, friend is going to let me steal her cat. Traps + cat = this bastard had better die today, or else I am perfectly willing to set the whole damn place on fire.

a snap trap with just a little peanut butter on the trigger can get it with in minutes. better placed along a wall (near where you saw it and a few other places) and with you not near and the room dark. listen for that snap when it triggers. no blood.

reminds me of the time when i was helping move an old furnace that had been outside for a time. as the thing was being lifted and jolted a mouse that had been nesting inside ran for its life and up my leg and under my shirt. so standing on furniture will offer no protection.

cats are slow. it could take a day or more depending on the critters. an indoor cat could be too dumb to get a mouse.

Don’t you know some guy that likes you who’s a bit handy?

Maybe you could work something out.

• Cue bass line -

I’ve got a picture of you standing in front of your neighbor in your bathrobe with a measuring cup in your hand. “Can I borrow your cat?”

Can you call your landlord and let him take care of it? Maybe send professional exterminators.

StG

Seriously though, if there is enough activity that you see a mouse in the open, you probably have several mice - you need to set out multiple traps and leave them out for several weeks at least to be sure you got them all. We live behind some woods and get enough mice over the years that I’ve tried every trap type, and they all can work if done right. The standard wooden old school ones work best if you smash wet bread in them and let it dry before setting. The newer plastic snap traps put peanut butter on the top in the center, or in the little cup if it is that style. The glue traps you just set out along a wall. All traps should be the snapping/closing side pushed right up against a wall or object like a furnace, etc.

if you are squicked by mice then do not use glue traps. it is just more mice thoughts to drive you more crazy.

Shotgun. Double-ought buckshot. Put a dollop of peanut butter on a plate in the middle of the floor, then climb up on the counter and wait.

Failing that, one of these will do the job nicely.

Nobody likes me because I’m terrible.

Okay, I’m armed with five mouse traps and some Milky Way bars. Is that enough? I’m willing to blanket my floors in traps if that’s what it takes.

Did you call your landlord yet? When I had a mouse in my apartment, I called the landlord (“THERE’S A MOUSE IN MY HOUSE!”) crying and moved out for a week. I was terrified. So I sympathize, but only to the degree that I like you, which is minute.

Seriously, though, a mouse in the house nearly made me suicidal with fright and disgust. And those fuckers are creepers, too…they…scurry…and climb UP stuff. Like your curtains. So call your landlord, call a guy, pack a bag, and treat yourself to a few days away.

And sleep with your mouth closed. :wink:

No. I haven’t even placed the traps yet, ha. First I took a deep breath before entering my apt, then hurriedly parked my bike and ran into my bedroom and set the traps. Now I’m working up the nerve to go leave my room and start placing the traps.

I do need to call my landlord, though, and will in two shakes. I’m good at letting things slide because I’m lazy, but when I’m too scared to sleep, it’s time to get serious.

Well, yeah, that’s how you know it’s critical, if it interferes with sleeping or drinking. Good luck on the mousehunt.

Your landlord has probably dealt with this before. Apartment complex? Your neighbors need to know - mice like to travel via walls.

Listen - here’s an anti-mouse pro tip coming directly from the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at the university I work at - there are 2 kinds of mice - those that are drawn to the smell of cat, and those that are repelled by the smell of cat. Regardless of what type of mouse you have, a cat is the solution.

Now, when I was in your situation (i.e. rotten mouse fiend in my house, traps ineffective, in fact, rotten mouse fiend actually eating the bait and turding on the top of the trap - seriously) I solved it by getting a cat. Not borrowing a cat, getting an actual pet cat.

Given how redonkulously terrified of mice (and bugs, it seems) that you are, I think you seriously need to investigate the possibility of adopting a nice cat. Seriously, as troublesome as a cat can be (i.e litter pan, kitty fluff, etc) your mouse and bug problem will go away. The one ancient cat I adopted actually hunted moths (I HATE moths) - it was delightful!

So, get a cat. You think you don’t want a cat, but based on the hysterics in your posts YOU WANT A CAT.

Good luck. FWIW, when I had my mouse issue, there was only one. People will say all sorts of shit about if you have one you have 20 but that’s crap - it’s perfectly possible to have one.

Good luck - a mouse can really ruin your life!