Polygamy: The Answers

If you were a woman of child-bearing age in Hildale, Utah or Colorado City, Arizona, you were more likely to be punished as a prisoner would than to be shunned and exiled. It took a lot for women to escape that environment.

Which is mostly a cautionary tale of polygamy more than something which should seriously shape the debate.

I believe you are mistaken, that tide has turned. And once in the majority, now is being pursued under equal protection, as it should have been all along. That majority produced the political capital to make that happen. As it should.

Why is everything all blue?

Islam says a man can have as many wives but a woman can’t have more than one husband. In India, there are different marriage laws for muslims and for everybody else. So, a Muslim man can have multiple wives in India. Quite shameful that a democracy doesnt have same law for all citizens.

I am for monogamy, do not care what religions say.

It does have the same law for all citizens. If you want to marry a second wife, you are free to convert to Islam. Not that it’s not a stupid rule, of course.

It’s funny you should say that, since any polygamous marriage must by its nature also be a same-sex marriage. Barring unusual cases where one of the parties is an intersex person, any marriage made up of three or more people must have at least two who are of the same sex.

In other words, it’s a lesbian marriage where one woman has a career and the other stays home to raise the kids.

I don’t care about religion or any particular familial structure. If people want to form polygamous unions, they can knock themselves out as far as I’m concerned.

It seems a lot of people here don’t read well. Did I not say repeatedly that in every society on earth that has allowed Polygamy, that 90+ percent of the marriages are monogamous? How hard is that to comprehend?

**Therefore, the scare stuff certain people spread **about the consequences of allowing Polygamy is unfounded in statistical fact. Polygamy in fact RELIEVES certain societal, psychological, emotional, family and economic pressures, it DOES NOT create them or add to them, or exacerbate them.

YES, they are very different, Same Sex “Marriage” is always bad and negative with no redeeming social values, while Plural Marriage is always a positive with lots of redeeming social values.

What is “bad and negative” about same sex marriage, exactly?

**EVERYTHING is not all blue. **Only my posts are blue, because I like them that way. They look nicer, and they stand out a bit, but not too much, and I can more easily find and separate my writing from that of all others.

It takes me time and effort in order to make my posts more readable, nicer to look at, and so forth. I contribute that labor to the site. I also always try to punctuate, spell and write clear sentences out of respect for the other posters, and myself, and what I say.

:slight_smile:

I have a hard time accepting the validity of a moral system that argues that polygamy is okay but same-sex marriage is wrong.

If marriage is only a moral issue for the individuals in the marriage then polygamy and same-sex marriage are both as morally valid as a traditional man-woman marriage. But if marriage is a social issue, then neither polygamy or same-sex marriage fall within the traditional norm.

Intelligent post. But, I will make some amendments if I may. It has taken centuries to develop monogamy marriage laws, and it would take a little time to expand those to cover Polygamous families.

Also, we need to understand there are tens of thousands, of Polygamous Families out there in our country and working fine according to all reports and I am not talking about FLDS gated commmunites either. I’m talking about in every city, town and state in the union. So, we do not have to start from scratch, these families already exist albeit, not fully legal. One wife is legal and the other are just wives without the marriage certificate. Even so this seems to work fine, and would only work better if it were legalized.

Frankly, I would like to see the D****D Government totally out of the marriage business, period. We don’t need big brother in the middle of the marriage bed or anyplace else personal. And that goes for birth and death certificates. What business is it of the government the Grandpa finally died, or that a baby was born, or that Sis got married to the boy next door? Enter that stuff in the family bible as people all did before government got its filthy fingers stuck into our lives.

The government might need to know to stop sending checks to Granpa. But, I’m sure you’d like to do away with Social Security too.

It is always a positive? Warren Jeffs was doing his 12 year old brides a favor?

Then produce some objective cites for “all” of these reports.

You seem to have a tendency to speak in absolutes. Are you really choosing your words carefully here?

Absolutely not. I was raised a Protestant and am now non-denominational. But, I respect all religions, denominations and sects as all of them are at least trying to reach out to the creator of the Universe. I can respect that reaching out to a higher power.

Beyond that I don’t condemn. I do condemn those who are so evil they have no respect for anything including the creation of our universe. Such people I disrespect, because they disrespect me and everyone and everything. I call them totally evil.

I choose my words very carefully, and I do use absolutes and generalizations when I think they are appropriate.

**As for cites, I give none, **and no referrals, no evidence, no proofs, no footnotes, and no statistics. I give only my opinion, nothing more nothing less. This is a forum of opinion not a court of law, or a University seminar, or a school paper, or a graduate thesis.

If anyone wants evidence, I suggest you get your own, I do my own research, and suggest you do yours.

Because your stupid blue font is hard to look at. I daresay that you don’t understand that for the same reason that you don’t understand why there’s nothing wrong with same-sex marriage.

In that case, I’ve reported this thread for a forum change. This forum is where you must give cites, evidence and “proofs”. We have other forums for ranting or opining.

The Ty-D-Bowl man attempted to cleanse the thread, to no avail.