Random things you'd like to buy that are slightly too hard to obtain

I would like to find a real Edison Stock Ticker machine. When I was in HS, there was a surplus company selling them for bupkis, now if you can find one it’s $5,000+.

Kinda random, but I’ve always wanted a mini-display tent, one of those little tiny copies of real tents that you used to see at Sears. But they only occasionally come up on ebay and are usually bid up too high.

For your G.I. Joes or???

Incidentally, ask your local Target for one, or where to get them. Sometimes those Eddie Bauer ones go off their catalogue and they have to get rid of them.

I want a orange faced Dirk Pitt style Doxa diving watch.

They come-up on eBay every once and a while. They usually go for about $1,200US.

I just can’t justify spending that on a watch right now. But one day I will have one!

MtM

Ebay is the obscure-object-lovers dream. I had always wanted one the the sandblasted-glass edge-lit Macintosh signs that were given to Apple dealers when the 128K came out. When I discovered ebay, I did a search and soon enough one came up. Now I have one of these relatively rare Mac collectables…

Liquid nitrogen.

The air we breathe is what, 75% or so nitrogen? Why is it so hard to find the liquid form?

I just want to be able to go somewhere convenient, have them pour a few ounces into the Thermos so I can go back home and lay siege on warts. That “Wartner” stuff at the drugstore is just not cold enough to be actually useful, and it’s not worth taking a couple hours off from work and a $20 copay to see my primary care doc to get a referral slip to a dermatologist, which will be another couple of hours off from work and another $20 copay on another day.

You can buy it by the gallon, at your local “Air Products” location. You need to have a real Dewar, though. They won’t just fill a Thermos.

Or you could buy some canned air and use it upside-down.

I’m sure I’d like lots of stuff, but all I can think of right now is the Apple Mac, but it would have to be at a garage sale or in a garbage bin or something, as I’m far too cheap to pay good $$$ for it.

When I was younger, I wanted one of the old chemistry kits from before they were neutered. The ones with actually useful chemicals and radioactive stuff and everything. :slight_smile:

Yeah, liquid N[sub]2[/sub] is cool. (Well, obviously). You have to be careful not to spill too much of it in a confined area, though, cos a small volume of liquid turns into a honking big volume of nitrogen gas, which can displace your actual air. In oxygen-breathing circles this is considered a Bad Thing.

(Can’t agree with you about Wartner, though. That stuff worked like a charm for me, first time I used it on a couple of warts that had been hanging around for years.)

I have a seldom (never) used Dewar I’ll sell you. Cryosurgery was once popular in veterinary medicine, alas no more. I last bought liquid nitrogen about 5 years ago, and that was to do a demonstration for my kids.

Found like 20 monocles on eBay, as low as $2.99.

Found 60 smoking jackets, as cheap as $6.00.

**twickster **"*I’ve always wanted an opera hat (collapsible top hat). *"I found onlyone. But I didn’t screw around with variations on search terms.

**Jayn_Newell ***Personally, I’d like to get a sextant

• I found over 150 on eBay, many as low as $30, and they have them retail in the Lilliput catalog (cool vintage toys, watches and “toys for grown up boys”) for $59. I also saw one in the Major Surplus and Survival Catalog (a very cool store in Gardena CA)

Robot Arm: two Curta’s on eBay.

Hope that helps.

I like Vintage Fedora’s in my size= 7 1/2 or 7 5/8’s. Hard to find that big.

You mean I’m not the only one …

I’ve wanted one of those for my entire life.

for a couple months or so, I’ve wanted a MASH 4077th shirt like they wear on the show. The olive green with the faded brown print and nothing else. I’ve found some that say “medic” or have a red cross or whatever on them, but I want one that just says MASH 4077th (or 4077th MAS*H. I don’t remember.)

I just ordered a Lilliput Catalog…never new it existed. Thanks a lot!

BTW - if my wife comes in and yells at you, it’s not my fault…reallyl! :smiley:

My current coveting item is a Russian lacquer box, preferably from Palekh and with a fairy-tale on it. Something like this, maybe.

I want one of those magnifying glass bars that libraries used to have for reading newspapers. It’s the width of a newpaper page, sits directly on the paper, and flat on the bottom with a curved top. If I knew what they’re called, I’d look for them online. So far no luck.

I really want an orrery, just a small and decorative tabletop one like the first one pictured at that link, but nobody seems to make them. You’d think that someone like Sharper Image or something like that would have them available.

I’d also really like a cheap reproduction of the curta mechanical calculator, as they’re expensive collector’s items.

I’m also after a Tascam 388 tape machine, which only go for a few hundred dollars, but are huge enough and old/fragile enough that they’re basically unshippable. I keep waiting for one to pop up on ebay or craiglist within a few hours of me, and it’s alllll mine.

Simple, it’s called a handheld bar magnifier

Oh, I desperately wanted one of those when I was little! Phlosphr, they’re Barbie size, which is why I wanted one at least.

What I want now is an unused Sunbeam Coney Island Hotdog Steamer. I don’t know if they made them past the early 80s, which is probably why I only saw one on ebay back in April when I was looking for it.

A long, jet-black cigarette holder.