Religious question: What color is a banana?

removed by author

There is no such thing as yellow, and anyone who believes in yellow is deluded.

Regards,
Shodan

I may have gone astray in thinking that this had to do with natural kinds.

Ya know, OP, maybe it would further discussion if you’d give us a hint about what we’re discussing.

Could the OP please step in and tell us what the actual topic of this thread is?

Species? I’ve seen a variety of colors.

Paint makes all things possible.

Without getting into all kinds of technical semantics, my off the cuff answer is that they are yellow, I know this from looking at them and seeing that they are yellow and I suppose someone could theoretically change my mind on this with an especially convincing argument but no one has tried.

You win the thread. :slight_smile:

As Kirk Cameron (blessed be his name) taught me, all bananas without exception were deliberately designed by God himself to be yellow! The pure, bright yellow of the sun and daffodils! Any so-called “non-yellow” bananas have clearly been placed here by the devil to test us. In fact, they aren’t even really there. The devil is just messing with your eyes to make you think they’re not yellow. With enough faith, you can stick to your correct belief in banana yellowness. Plus, they fit in my hand with a nice wrapper, which is awfully handy for breakfast. Thanks, God!

More importantly, God designed the banana to be the right size for man to eat and gave man an opposable thumb so he could peel them, much in the same way he made the penis the right size to fit in Kirk Cameron’s mouth and anus.

Okay, here’s the rub.

There is a debate regarding religious belief and the part nurturing plays in it.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=15212678&posted=1#post15212678

An argument is made suggesting that if nurture is the primary reason people maintain their faith into adulthood the same could be said for their belief in the color of bananas, that when the faithful say they affirm the faith they were raised in it means they’ve made the independent decision beyond the influence of their parentage. This, the argument goes, is the same as how we come to the conclusion bananas are yellow.

I believe it is a reference to this thread in which there is a hypothesis that science doesn’t apply to everyone, and that for some people, belief systems may actually “work” better, regardless of empirical evidence.

That reminds me, I haven’t seen Requiem for a Dream in a while.

I’d just assume that a species of blue banana had been discovered/invented, not rethink “yellow.” Most bananas MAY be blue one day soon, if thebanana holocaustoccurs.

Have you been to any 4-H exhibits?

Excellent submission. We also would’ve accepted from you “no matter how many times yellow things are revealed, liberals will deny the existence of yellow. Nope, no yellow, doesn’t exist, never happens.”

Tangent (I guess), but there is that little empirical boost the yellow banana gets.

The answer is yellow.

Yes, they can be green or brown, but the answer when asked simply “What color is a banana” is “yellow.”

Edit: Posted without having read the explanation. Will in two shakes.

The Banana was the real fruit that Eve ate. Adam’s slipping on the banana peel was the original Fall of Man.
On account of that Fall, God declared “In pain shalt thou fall on banana skins” and “By the sweat of thy brow shalt thou peel bananas”. And we’ve suffered ever since.

Sure, but God was kind enough to shape bananas so that they’re pointed towards our mouths.