SDMB Dynasty Fantasy Football League (recruiting)

That would indeed be awesome, but I don’t see it happening any time soon.

I went ahead and made you the commissioner then. Feel free to PM me if you want any help with anything or have any questions.

Cool.
For most leagues I have no problem drafting before final cuts – if someone’s 13th Round pick winds up being released a few days after the draft, well, them’s the breaks – but in a league where deep prospect fishing is a huge part of it, I agree that drafting after the 5th is a necessity.

If it comes down to either having fewer managers or drafting after Week 1, I think we should definitely be willing to draft late. I’ve done it before, and it doesn’t cause any problems or unpleasantness – in fact, there are upsides. You spread out your FF drafts (doing them three nights in a row [as we’re currently scheduled for] can lead to draft fatigue and cross-eyed stares from the family), and the problem of the random team that gets #1 waiver priority being gifted a surprise breakout player isn’t nearly as prevalent.

So we’ll see. Everyone keep chiming in with what dates/times are good and bad for you. As there are at least 19 days before the draft, so we’ve got enough time to fill the league and find a date that works.

Yeah, that’s why I rescheduled the draft for the Big League (20x15 draft positions=300 players drafted) and the dynasty league (12x25? also 300 players drafted) to be after the cut, otherwise we could start having significant numbers of players drafted who don’t play in the NFL this year.

Yeah, I would never have guessed that in a million years. heh. I’m against free agency / waiver wire in the offseason. Every cut player should enter the draft, IMO. The draft will be short / devalued enough as it is; anything that adds juice to the draft should be viewed as a good thing.

Totally right; my bad for not thinking it through.
As for commishing this league, it will be fairly labor intensive only in that you’ll have to set 200+ keepers each year. On the plus side, generating the eligible keeper lists should only take a grand total of like 5 minutes.
For trading future draft picks, I recommend adopting my HHM policy. Such transactions aren’t prohibited simply because two owners could just have enter into a gentlemen’s agreement to circumvent the rules. Instead, I make it clear that I (as commish) am not a fan of them and do not want to be any part of them. So if you find yourself in a dispute over a trade involving future draft picks, unless the issue could damage the league as a whole I’ll leave you to fend for yourselves. In short, discouraged but not prohibited, with no appeal to authority to settle disputes.

Scoring total in the past week, or x number of weeks if you want to get fancy. Probably just one week would be fine. If you thought someone was sandbagging to game the system you could even use scoring total for their whole roster including the bench.

As an example, your top 8 are in their own normal waiver wire system, and your bottom four teams have the following records and last week’s point totals:

…8 actually good teams, followed by the four cellar dwellars…
4-4 (78.2) Fightin’ Quakers
3-5 (90.5) Exploding Pancakes
2-6 (86.2) Varlos’ Zzzzz
0-8 (97.6) New York Fanboys

These four teams are last so they get the first four waiver priority slots. If these get seeded based on last week’s point total instead of W-L record you’ll avoid the unfair strangle-hold of a scrub who starts pulling themself up thanks to the waiver wire. In this example, I’ve clearly started to rebound so it’s only fair that I no longer get #1. The actual top 4 order would then become:

#1 4-4 (78.2) Fightin’ Quakers
#2 2-6 (86.2) Varlos’ Zzzzz
#3 3-5 (90.5) Exploding Pancakes
#4 0-8 (97.6) New York Fanboys

These are the options that yahoo has for automatically establishing waiver priority:

waivers are enabled, all players dropped from a team’s roster are immediately placed on a waiting period from zero to seven days to give all managers a chance to claim those players. Choose the waiver processing option best suited for your league.

In a normal waivers systems, waiver priority determines which manager’s request is processed first.

Continual rolling list: waiver claims are processed in waiver priority order and each successful claim moves a manager to the end of the waiver priority list
Reverse order of standings: waiver claims are processed in reverse order of standings and successful claims do not affect waiver priority list
Weekly rolling list based on standings: waiver claims are processed in reverse order of standings and each successful claim moves a manager to the end of the waiver priority list
In a Free Agents Acquisition Budgets (FAAB) waivers system, each manager receives a dollar amount to place blind bids on waived players. The manager with the highest bid at the end of the waiver period claims that player and that bid amount is deducted from the team’s acquisition budget. If multiple managers place an equal bid on a player, tiebreak options are available as described above.

FAAB w/ Continual rolling list tiebreak
FAAB w/ Reverse order of standings tiebreak
FAAB w/ Weekly rolling standings tiebreak

In as We Do HGH.

I was under the impression that dynasty league drafts were typically rookie-only, although that’s no reason we’d be bound to it.

Should we then just set the keepers for every team and hold a draft of what remains, rookies and unowned non-rookies both?

The alternative is as I suggested - set cuts by a certain date, and have teams able to make waiver claims on cut players - similar to how the actual NFL works - and then the draft only includes rookies. I prefer this method very slightly but I don’t feel strongly about it either way.

What happens to the non-rookies who are not on a roster? They just become free agents?

I’m wondering if we could do two drafts for maximum realism- a rookie-only draft in, say, August, then a free-agent-veteran only draft in September. Kind of like how the NFL has the amateur draft, and then free agency immediately afterward.

The waiver thing seems like it would give a pretty heavy advantage to the teams with waiver priority.

This seems like the default path. Given that we’re going to have somewhere around 300 players drafted, the free agency talent pool will be pretty slim.

This is a possibility - but the NFL has free agency before the draft.

In the other discussion thread, there was a lot of concern that teams at the bottom wouldn’t have enough tools available to them to lift themselves out. Constantly resetting waiver priority that favors the worst team is one mechanism to correct this.

I, personally, am not all that enthusiastic about the idea. The worst to first rookie draft is natural and logical, and seeding next year’s initial waiver priority in reverse standings order for the same reason seems natural, but I’m not a big fan of resetting the waiver priority every week.

So far we have:

Exploding Pancakes - SenorBeef
We do HGH - Stringer
CuteWiddleBunny - Hamlet
Fightin’ Quakers - furt
Isotopes - Petey
RetroVertigo - No Use for a name
9 inch Neils - Really Not All That Bright
Varlos’ Zzzzzzz - VarlosZ
Warner’s Brothers - Dalej42

At least 2 more invites pending - I deleted my outgoing PMs so I can’t remember if I invited anyone else besides Ellis Dee and Justin Bailey. If they both join us, that gives us 11, leaving us one short of our goal of 12, which seems doable. So if anyone else is interested, please speak up.

Alright, count me in. Send me another invite when you get a chance.

Any interest in making this league with divisions? If we’re gonna have 12 members, I’m thinking 3 divisions w/ four teams, and one wild card gets in the playoffs.

I think Yahoo would set up a 14 game schedule so that you play everyone once, and your division rivals twice.

We’ve probably going to run the Dynasty league that way, and it’s a good schedule. But I’m not sure if we could come up with a good criteria on which to base divisions. And the other issue is that we’ve always been a 6 team playoff league. Half the league going to the playoffs is generous, but I like it - finishing as one of the top 2 seeds means something, the end of season playoff race is bigger, and there’s a chance for a middling team to come out of nowhere.

I’m certainly up for discussion on it.

I don’t follow; this is the inaugural season of this league. If you mean the SDMB leagues as a whole, the keeper league uses a 4-team playoff.

The 4-team playoff system has the advantage of a consolation bowl, which if used to determine the top of the draft order offers a disincentive to sandbag at the end of a losing season.

Woops. Nope, I got this mixed up with the All-Pro thread, which I also had open. Disregard post #35.

So yes, 12 teams, 3 divisions, 4 playoff spots - that’s the initial idea we had for this league.

The consolation bowl would affect the middle 4 slots, right? I’m not sure if the people who are concerned with parity will like the idea of giving the top draft slots to the middling teams, rather than the worst ones. Since the reverse standings draft order is the primary mechanism to balance the league, I’m inclined to agree with the notion.

We could run an unofficial draft bowl that involves the bottom 4 teams. It would just have to be done manually - everyone sets their roster as normal, someone adds up the points they would’ve scored had they been playing, and it works just like the consolation bowl.

I think we may be better off taking it on the honor system that no one would tank at the end of the year.

I’d prefer 6 make the playoffs.

Yeah, you’re right, it would pretty much have to.

That’s the standard format on NFL.com in case we need to move it.

ETA: Scratch that, we’d have to pay to do a custom league there.