Sex Offender Registy: The Unintended Consequences

Not a stranger. Dude, let this go. Your position is ridiculous.

Duh. Of course it’s publicly searchable, that’s the whole point of a registry. The OP’s not doing anything that any of us can’t do from our couch. Family Watchdog is a good one, and you betcha I would check it before buying a home anywhere. There are 20 offenders within 1/2 mile of where I live, half of them classified as offenders against children. Why wouldn’t I want to know that, and damn straight I should be able to check that regularly. It’s the price they pay for not being in prison.

On preview: lots has been posted since I started composing this. Perhaps Sevencl should consider just reading these boards for a while as you are new, and have effectively hijacked this thread. Let’s get back to the OP.

Did you also find troll in that same dictionary Sevencl?

To the OP - there is a lot of published materials and studies on the effects of the Sex Offender Registry. Not only for those that are guilty but not a threat. There is also much on how it actually reduces safety, even from those that fully deserve to be on it.

Your tragedy makes it very personal, and it has opened a window for you.

Be assured that thoughts go out to you, and that I, for one, find it perfectly understandable that you would want to know more about what caused the tragedy.

Frosty Camel, I can’t begin to comprehend what must be going on in your head. I’ve lost a kindergartener cousin to a drunk driver, and an uncle (20 years apart) to a trucker who fell asleep at the wheel, that’s nothing compared to what you’re going through. I can, however, understand the need to explore how a tragedy happened, and the events and life choices and consequences that all unfolded. I’m a curious person, and I really think under the same circumstances I would likely do the same research you have. It’s all part of trying to wrap your head around it all and make sense of things. I think your conclusions are logical, and if your building/hobbies/research is helping you work through it all, then kudos to you.

There’s a similar story I’ve heard through my mom (the son of a friend of hers), I don’t remember the ages, but ultimately is was an older boy and younger girl, consensual sex that was of no consequence to either party, and yet the boy ended up on the sex offender registry with a significantly changed life. It never should have happened. He made different choices afterwards, though, and is doing OK today.

My position is a perfectly valid opinion. I’m stating that I think it’s immoral to do this, not that it’s illegal. But yes, this is off topic, and I’ve said what I think of the OP’s behaviour, so let’s leave it.

EDIT: also, a stranger is someone whom you don’t know. I’m assuming the guy and the OP don’t have a personal relationship; OP mentions not having contacted him yet.

This is the best thread hijacking I’ve ever seen, now lets all get back to talking about Sevencl and how their privacy was breached.

Absolutely. I would want to know everything I could about the guy who killed my family. I’d want to know why.

I’m so, so sorry, Frosty.

I explained why I feel so strongly about people’s right to privacy because it seemed to be upsetting people. You all seem to feel strongly that someone has the right to invade someone’s privacy if they have a good enough reason, so why is it okay for OP to share their reason for doing what they did but not me to share why I think it’s wrong?

I guessing that no one here agrees with you that anyone’s privacy has been invaded. I certainly don’t.

His/her position is offensive and hurtful to someone who lost his entire family.

Words fail to convey the sorrow of losing a family. It is a loss of the very essence of how humans define ourselves. It is a loss of holidays, birthdays, graduations together. It is a loss of the everyday and the special events that mark our lives together with loved ones. It is a loss of the present and the future, of the possibilities that may have been.

Coming to terms with such a loss is a very difficult process. There is no one right way.

I wish Frosty Camel well. In a search for meaning, you must accept that there may not be any meaning.

I’m sorry if it’s construed as offensive, but then I’m not exactly thrilled by people talking about a human being’s privacy in such cavalier terms.

It’s like twisting the knife… incredibly painful to the target and shows insensitivity.

It needed to be said. Especially because no one else even seems to see the problem with it.

Whats this about an Electric Bycycle? :confused:

No…it didn’t actually need to be said. Some things are better left unsaid, especially in cases like this where something very tragic has happened to another person.

Yeah, well I consider someone having their privacy stripped away to be tragic, too, and two wrongs don’t make a right.

It wasn’t ‘stripped’ away. Morally right or wrong in the legal sense, his actions brought about the loss of privacy. It’s the consequence of his actions. A consequence that I’m sure Frosty Camel would gladly take up instead of what he has had to suffer because of this man’s choices in life. It sounds like the subject is a bit of a touchy matter for you, from what you’ve told but honestly, you’re overreacting. Frosty Camel has done nothing wrong and is perfectly justified in trying to find out as much as he can about the man who killed his family. I’ve never been in that sort of situation and I hope I never am, but I can only imagine if I were, I’d be doing the same thing. Trying to find out WHY something terrible happened is part of healing, even if you never find the answer.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the acceptability/morality of it. And that’s fine.

You know, Sevencl, not everything is about you. You might want to think about climbing down off the martyrdom high horse and consider that not everything going through your head needs to make to the keyboard, especially when your sanctimoniousness is expressed in a way that piles more pain onto someone already going through a level of heartache neither you nor I can comprehend.

Frosty Camel, I applaud your efforts to let go of your anger. Forgiveness heals the forgiver not the offender.