Should I get a Kindle?

As mentioned if you think it might be useful and are willing to deal with the potential hassleo f a return, buy it and try it. If your perception of your preferences is accurate then you probably won’t find it a tool for you.

But mine was an experiment I didn’t expect to work, I just wanted to see the e-ink screen first hand and then return it. Turns out that I’ve only read three or four books on paper since getting mine in May '08.

If you can comfortably read on regular screens, though, that might be the better option. I can’t (and eye fatigue is why every previous attempt at ebooks failed for me) so the e-ink is perfect for me. The complaints about not being able to read in the dark are valid but that’s true of paper books too so isn’t much of a knock in that comparison to paper so much as in comparison to other electronic options, plus as light dims I can increase font size and continue reading in much lower light than with paper books.

While it is true that the screen does “flash” to redraw for the new page it isn’t nearly half a second in length. The entire process of turning pages is closer to a second but most of that time is spent processing with no visual change.

When I first had the Kindle this was a bit annoying but now isn’t an issue at all since I’ve adjusted to the timing and have hit the next page button so that it is pretty seamless to the next page. As for visual interruption that happens when turning the page of a book too.

One unintended feature I’ve used is hands free reading (such as while eating in a restaurant or walking on the treadmill). I turn on the text-to-speech feature but turn the volume all the way down. This enable autoscroll. Once I get it set to a speed I usually have to wait a little bit at the end of a page for it to catch up but that is worth the hassle to be able to read while eating a sloppy burrito with both hands while sitting on a park bench. It is also much more convenient for one-handed reading while hanging from a train strap than with paper books–especially hardcover or trade paperbacks.

One thing you can do is share the Amazon account and then both Kindles have access to all the books either of you buy.

I just got mine 2d ago - so far I’ve barely been getting through my first issue of Foreign Affairs (an article by Zbignew Brezniski on NATO and one arguing that America’s is going to remain the default world superpower) and the intro to the Kindle. I like it so far. I find that the font size changer works in that I can make it larger in lower light in bed with my glasses off and smaller when I am alert in good light with glasses on. I like having a variety of material with me. And while the read to me feature comes off a bit like Stephen Hawkings sometimes misreading punctuation and forgetting how to pronounce “Obama”, it was still fun to continue with an interesting article on my way to work.

But.

Many titles are not in the Kindle store or in Gutenburg. Eco’s Foucault’s Pendulum for example. Or Everything is Illuminated. Both of which I’ve been meaning to read and I’d love to be able to get when the mood hits me, when I am likely on a vacation not near a bookstore. And books that are in paperback editions are often cheaper to buy that way.
I am glad I’ve gotten and see that it will help me get more of a chance to read, but perfect it aint.

Are there many nonfiction books in the Kindle Store? How does the Kindle handle figures and graphs, or other illustrations?

Well, the Kindle Store lists 223,899 nonfiction results, but that’s kinda meaningless since any number of them could be junk. Better to search for the book(s) you’re interested before you buy (you can search without owning a Kindle).

The Kindle displays graphics inline the way books do, but keep in mind the limited screen size makes detailed diagrams difficult to see. Even on a Kindle DX, I had to flip the orientation to landscape to get a better view at certain pictures.

Well the DRM is hardly a real issue :wink:

Remember the DRM act allows for a person to remove DRM legally from a CD (CDs fall into a special case because of that Sony fiasco when CDs with DRM were putting things on people’s computers without their knowledge. It doesn’t apply to other mediums like direct file downloads, because of that special rules were adopted for a period of time and as of now have been extended for another period) or an e-reader device IF that DRM prevents a person with a disablity from properly viewing it.

All DRM’d e-readers must comply with the ADA or they cannot prevent removal of DRM

I know this board doesn’t allow discussing that so just Google for details

Wait, what? I’ve been away from civilization for a while (seriously)… has something come along to override the DMCA’s restrictions on removing DRM? No details needed, but got a link or even just the name of this act?

There’s a current Thread about somebody dropping their Kindle & breaking it.

They can be difficult to see, but one can manipulate the “joystick” to the picture or map, click on it and it will enlarge.