Should I worry about this? (Possible identity/cc theft)

I got the email today. My laptop was once caught by a virus, which basically forced me to some website to but their “anti-virus” program. Of course, it was all a fraud. I got the laptop cleaned up, and tried to fight with the CC company to get my money back, but they said that since I had “purchased” something, they wouldn’t refund my money. Idiots.
Anyway, i assume that all of his info is correct. The amount and address definitely is. I do wish there was some way to recoup my loss, though. I am obviously not going to deal with this guy.

That was a stupid thing to do. You’ve compromised the security of your nuts!

I’m not sure where you can go to get issued new ones…

see below I just got this today and not sure how to handle this. Has anyone else recieved this email.

Dear Mr.

On 27 of Jul 2011 you had become a victim of
activity, when you were purchased computer program that was
supposed to cure your computer. This program was
installed on your computer in order to gather your personal
information.

At present, the group of alleged perpetrators, which includes the
management of Oneliya LLC (Moscow Russia), B&N Bank (Moscow, Russia)
and Raiffeisen bank (Moscow, Russia) is being investigated by the
appropriate authorities and several criminal actions has begun.

Unfortunately, all your personal information that you had transmitted
to the perpetrators has been compromised and is available to other
criminally minded individuals.

Here is your personal information that is available:

Trnsaction date: 2011-07-27 12:30:41
Credit card number: My card
Credit card expire year: 2013
Credit card month: 1
CVV: ***

Paymnt amount: 69.95
Name: My name
Street: my info
ZIP:
State:
City:
Email: my email
Phone: my phone

We urge you to immediately cancel the card above and request a
replacement, due to the fact that your information has been
compromised.

Also, please enclose the copy of this letter with your complaint to
the law enforcement. You can complain to the law enforcement agency
via email. You have the right to receive a 49.95 dollar compensation and
the reissue of the card should be free of charge to you.

In the event you wish to receive the compensation please contact our
legal department by writing to support@gredine.com

Andre Shults CISSP, ISSAP, ISSMP, CSSLP

According to what you put in the OP, the amount is $59.95 not $9.95.

Not to mention the weird random dropping of letters (paymnt, trnsaction).

You’re right, I saw the 5 and thought it was a dollar sign. That’ll teach me to wear my glasses!

Does the bank have your e-mail address? Mine doesn’t.

The whole message stinks of phish.

Oneliya LLC, aka “Gateline,” is a rogue credit card processor that has worked with fake AV vendors and pharmaceutical spam senders.

They were indeed the subject of a law enforcement investigation in Russia related to cybercrime.

I agree that this looks phishy, particularly given that this site is registered with Internet.bs, a registrar that has a history with pharmacy spammers. However, there is a decent chance that this is an alert being sent to a database of people who paid for fake antivirus software at some point in the past year. If this describes you, I wouldn’t worry about canceling the card: just dispute the charge.

Wait, so you guys really did make this purchase of an antivirus software?

Considering that an unknown person from a domain that doesn’t even have an active website and only registered the domain last week just sent out these people’s full credit card information in plain text E-mails? I would cancel the card.

I did make the mistake of purchasing this fraudulent antivirus software online last year. As soon as our credit card statement showed up showing the origin of the charge was Moscow, we canceled the card. We haven’t had any more problems. I did check on gredine.com and found that the server is located in The Netherlands. If you google “who is gredine.com?” you’ll find that information. I think we will just leave well enough alone and NOT contact their legal department for a “refund”. It is really hard to tell who the good guys are these days!

P.S. The info I found is at http://www.ip-adress.com/whois/gredine.com

I don’t think it is bad advice to say, if anybody, legitimate or not, ever sends you an unsolicited email that includes your full credit card number,(and especially if it includes your cvv code, expiration date and address) you should immediately cancel the card. Whether the sender is fishy or not is already irrelevant at that point.

Here’s another good rule of thumb:

Never, ever reply to unsolicited contact, be it via email or via phone. If you’re not 110% certain that the info you’re getting is from your company, don’t reply, and DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES click on links in the mail.

Instead, go to your company’s website by directly typing in the address, or call them up directly on the phone to their main 1-800 number.

Not that it’s any great comfort, but these are not coming with CVV codes listed.

Am I the only one who thinks it sounds like the sender, shady though his credentials may be, is doing a public service? I’d MUCH rather know that scammers have my credit card number than remain ignorant of it.

I mean, who knows? Maybe this guy used to work for a shady company, quit, and stole the database and is alerting people whose information was stolen. Like a former mafia goon turning over on his employer, you know?

I find it interesting that everyone else who has received this same email just joined today…

Maybe they googled some keywords in my OP.

Yeah, it was the second thread that popped up on Google when I searched on the domain name.