Should I worry about this? (Possible identity/cc theft)

I just received this email, although it looks like others have received it previously. I copied the senders name and the string of letters behind it, pasted it in Google and here I am. Looks like it’s a hot topic on this site. I’ve not run across you folks before but you look like a fun group so I signed up. Hello everyone, and thanks for the info on this issue.

I got the email because I purchased some OEM software in Sept 2011. Got the software, installed it, it works, not having computer problems and my card doesn’t have any other strange transactions. Still I cancelled the card today and will look closely at my computer.

Has anyone checked their credit report to see if any accounts were opened in their name as a result of this company getting your personal info? A co-worker suggested I do this.

I bought what I thought was anti virus software back in Oct 2010. I checked my bank statment from that month and year and sure enough there is a charge of $59.95 from a “Finsolid Downloader, Victoria”. I bank with Chase. I cancelled my card right after I got the message and now I need to know how to recover the money I spent for this bogus software.

Ain’t gonna happen. Just chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Glad my suspicions were groundless, and welcome new folks! Frankly, I couldn’t figure out why someone might have multiple socks about this topic, but it still seemed odd to me that so many new members would suddenly appear. Just ignore my paranoia! :wink:

Me either…hahahah

So do you think that the scammers got the original $59.95 from the scam virus protection, then they warn you that it is a scam and have you cancel the card. Then when you contact them to get your “refund”, they gain access to your new card (from you - to apply the nonexistent refund).

Is the goat warmed up?

The only thing is mine said it was back in 2010 my bank wont let me go back that far online, I have never had a paper statement so I cannot go that route.

I did notice that they got the expiration month wrong, its 12/12 not 11/12. I have also changed my address too, which its literally two roads over but they don’t know that. My zip is also wrong, its my full (old) address as well. My phone number is my (old) home phone which I never used anyway, I put my cell for everything.

My payment amount was 49.95 or .99 whatever not important as how someone has my card number.

My bank is BBT.

The subject to my email was my full name, anyone else like that?

Got the same email yesterday. Cancelled the card just as a precaution though now believe it was superfluous.
Indeed we ordered an antivurus program on the Internet on that day last August. For exactly that amount. Did it because our PC was down after a visit of an online shopping website. There was a kind of flash message with a recommendation to buy online a 1 year antivirus program. Which we did giving our credit card details. The antivirus must have been a bogus but it gave them an access to our card details and a possibility to charge it automaitically next August. Thats all. There was no card abuse in the meantime. But since that gang was closed, the only risk is that somehow your card may be charged again for 49 or so one year after the first transaction… which charge you can always dispute unless you cancell/ed your card.
After all looks like that e-mail was not as bad as we first thought, or am I missing something?

I also received the same type of message with correct bank card details and address. I also purchased anti-virus software last year at the time mentioned in the email. Just two weeks ago my bank sent new cards in the post. Maybe my bank (HSBC) we’re proactive about replacing my card as it hadn’t expired and I hadn’t asked for a replacement.

I’ll not be replying to the email and thanks for all the feedback from others about this. I also joined this site today as it was second on my Google search for the suspicious ‘Andre Schults’. I normally don’t post but thought it would be funny to increase the number of newbies that joined to get FairyChatMom more suspicious :wink:

Quote: Originally Posted by FairyChatMom: I find it interesting that everyone else who has received this same email just joined today…

Yep.

For Windows users here is some advice…when you start seeing unfamiliar antivirus warnings pop up, don’t click on them. I don’t care if it’s called “Offical Microsoft Windows Anti-Virus”, don’t buy anything from them. People can craft web pages with animated graphics that look EXACTLY like a Windows application running. The safest way to close such windows is pressing Alt-F4 (that is the standard Windows “close window” keyboard command.) Press Alt-F4 again and again, back totally out of your browser. Then try not to go back to whatever site brought up those fake warnings (hard to tell a lot of times, I realize.)

At that point you probably still should have an antivirus scan done outside of Windows, from a bootable CD or USB drive. But as long as you don’t click on the fake antivirus or give it permission to install, you’re probably ok.

Also when all is said and done, don’t ever purchase anything from the Internet that comes from an unexpected Window or error message. That’s like someone stopping you while you’re driving and saying “I’m a mechanic, your transmission is about to fail, give me your keys and $49.95 and I’ll fix it for you right now.” Be very wary of ever giving away any personal information at all, ever.

For those that have received this sort of warning e-mail and it came from purchasing some sort of software, you probably should consider your computers compromised and owned by the bad guys. If you type or view any financial or other private information you really need the whole computer wiped and everything installed fresh. They could be intercepting everything you type and view.

I got the same email. It was my Capital One cc. I am checking with them to verify the purchase as I believe I did purchase anti-virus software that never came to be…nor could I contact the company. I’ve cancelled the card just to be on the safe side.

This sounds like a scam. I am an attorney working on a case that may be related. I would appreciate your contacting me to discuss the details of what you received – in particular, I am interested in learning the name of the merchant that supposedly charged your card (the name that appeared on your statement for the merchant), the date/time stamp of that transaction, and (if your bank will tell you – which it will do if you ask with some authority) the name of the acquiring bank used by the merchant to charge your card. Feel free to email me directly.

I know exactly where this came from. Last year I was attacked by a virus that was infecting Internet Explorer Browsers… I still can’t use mine without getting re-infected so I’m on Chrome or FireFox.

Anyway, this virus hit that looked like it was from Microsoft and totally hosed up my laptop asking me to purchase some anti-virus software. I tried to not purchase it but finally got frustrated and intentionally gave them a card number to see if it really was Microsoft.

I then filed a dispute with Capital One and had the charges challenged. They were refunded without any argument…

I also reported this to the FBI and FCC but neither responded.

Now I get this email and see my info has been compromised…

I was a victim too, but ended up paying as my Sears Mastercard would not credit me … :(. I got the follow up email today showing all my card info and personal info. It told me to cancel card, they were investigating, and to email support@gredine.com, and I could get a refund of 49.95. Due to the language not being perfect english, and the scepticism I have earned, I feel this is a follow up scam to the first.
What do you think?
Fool me once shame on you…fool me twice shame on me…not gonna happen.
Should I do anything? Don’t know who to report this too, but seems like I should. Probably tons of this stuff out there.
Boo :frowning:

Nobody that sends your credit card number in plain text is trustworthy. So whether they’re ignorant or malicious, I wouldn’t respond.

I suppose that I could follow up, but getting back my 50 bucks is not going put me into a higher tax bracket. I consider it a lesson learned. I’m just going to let it go and move on.

How do we know that you are not a scam? I’m sorry it’s just so hard to know who to believe. If you can share the information you have publically that would put me at ease a bit. If you read my post on page 1, I indicate the name of the merchant on my bank statment. I don’t have the receiving bank info. If you can and want to help me, I’m open to that but I have to trust you first.