Sir Elton John really, really sucks

And here I thought the thread title was in reference to his sexual orientation…

Seen Elton in concert three or four times. One of the few performers touring today who I’d pay over fifty bucks to see. The other is Sting. The difference is that I need to be close to Sting whereas I can rock with Elton anywhere in the joint.

Yes, he’s made a clunker or two but he has an impressive body of work overall. Come Down in Time, Funeral for a Friend, Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me… I love them all and get nostalgic just thinking about them.

I thought the same thing when Donald Trump made a cameo on the Oscars. Dear gawd, man, STOP WITH THE SWEEPOVER!

Always glad to serve! (You knew this was coming, right?)

Goodbye Queenie Mum
Though I never knew you at all
You were able to get real old
And you weren’t very tall.

You lived in Windsor Palace
And drank life to the dregs
Now you belong to Haven,
Where you’re eating boiled eggs.

And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a candle in the wind
Like a metaphor that been stretched out
'till it’s very thin
And these lyrics don’t scan well
Or even make much sense
But it’s still better that that tribute
To Diana, which was worth two pence.

Goodbye Lady Queen
The world weeps bitter tears
We lay in bed while crying
But the tears get in our ears
The flower all are weeping
And the little children too
The butterflies say “I’m so sad”
So do Muslims, and the Jews

Goodbye Liz’s Mom
She was mother to us all
But, of course not lit’rally
Now excuse us while we bawl
Elton Fenris

Ok, I have to be admit that I like the “Poor Cow” song. In fact the whole “Reg Strikes Back” is definitely an 80’s spin on Elton’s work. All his new music seems to be so slow.

Since when did it become a requirement for lyrics to make sense? I’m sorry but the Rolling Stone’s “Jumping Jack Flash” is an awesome song, but it makes little sense to me. Art doesn’t need to make sense; in fact some would say that art shouldn’t make sense, leaving each person to interpret it on their own.

I must admit that I was a little disappointed that he rehashed “Candle in the Wind” for Princess Diana. I know it would have been rough but I would have hoped that he could have come up with some original tribute.

As far as Elton in concert… Don’t bother. I was able to see Elton and Billy Joel do a joint concert in 98, and that was awesome. All Elton did was sit at the piano and sing, but Billy danced and interacted with the audience. It makes me weep for those days when Elton would dress up in outrageous costumes, at least that provided some added entertainment value. I was hoping that Elton would have done a joint concert with Tina Turner, but apparently one of his classic tantrums ended that.

If you consider yourself an Elton fan you need to see “Tantrums and Tiaras”. It was a special on Showtime that showed a behind the scenes look at Elton. I found the film to be an eye opener and while I definitely enjoy the man’s music, he comes across personally as a spoiled little brat. I wouldn’t walk across the street to get his autograph, because chances are he would stomp off mad as a result.

His latest,Songs from the West Coast*, reunites him with Bernie and has the song about Matthew Shepard. I think this is a stellar effort, particularly I Want Love* and This Train Don’t Stop There Anymore** and is on par with any of his albums. But I’ll agree his stuff sans Bernie was less than inspiring.
*Although it risks being overplayed on MTV.

**In spite of the NBA using the song in it’s ads, which I don’t understand at all.

Homebrew, you’re kidding, right?

I mean, I want nothing more than a reunited Elton John/Bernie Taupin, doing good music together again. The only part that’s missing on Songs from the West Coast is the word “good”. I mean, lyrics like:

and

I’ve seen better poetry from angst-ridden junior high school students. And the music was at best unremarkable and predictable, and at worst it was elevator-quality.

I really wanted to like this album. Heck, I really wanted to like Taupin’s band Farm Dogs too, but they sucked mightily as well.

Fortunately, for those of us who want the vitality, artistry and creativity that Elton once displayed, there’s Rufus Wainwright. Much better voice, too.

Oh, Mister, you’re just too damn happy with your new freakin’ house at a great price and your perfect relationship with the perfect man. You make me sick. :wink: Those of us in the despair of a recently broken 8-year relationship and impending loss of a well-loved house are perhaps better able to appreciate the pain voiced in Songs.

I’ve saw Rufus on Late World with Zack, but otherwise I know nothing of him except that he is very fetching. Tell me more.

hazel-rah said:

Um, no, she didn’t. She does have a song on 1989’s Sensual World called Rocket’s Tail, but it is not at all the same song. Actually, Rocket’s Tail is one of my favorite songs.

Of course, I guess it’s possible she did a cover of Rocket Man on some obscure concert bootleg or something, or on a compilation album, but she didn’t in her normal body of studio work.

Um, yes, she did. What’s more I quite liked it. Far more than anything the stroppy dwarf has done himself. Kate gave it a touch of class.

About Rufus Wainwright…hmm… not often I’m given the opportunity to gush, so I’m going to run with it. From his website;

For the lyrical quote…

Rufus is the son of obscure pop singer Loudon Wainwright III, who decided early on to go into opera. With some classical training, he quit to do what he sometimes refers to as “popera”. Beautiful voice, bizarre and fascinating arrangements with a devotion to melody, and all with a sense of unabashed longing and whimsey. Can you tell I’m a fan?

My best advice is to go out and get the first (self-titled) CD, and put it on headphones, and listen carefully. Beautiful, sad portraits of people and scenes. Then get the second album, Poses, and do the same. Then join us Rufus fans in eagerly anticipating the third album.

And I’m sorry about your relationship and house situation, Homebrew. Let me know if you need some of my recommendations on “Music to agonize to”. Though the first album of Rufus’ is definitely on the list…

Futile Gesture said:

Ha! I specifically excepted compilation albums in my above statement, so I don’t have to retract my statement. Neener neener! :smiley:

Listened to a Kate Bush album once when my friend’s boyfriend popped it into the cassette deck on the way down south. Thought it was a joke. She sounded like Minnie Mouse on speed.

More precisely…Elton now: bad. Elton before too much money and too many drugs: fucking brilliant.

Friend of mine is Bernie Taupin’s best friend. I guess I shouldn’t show him this thread…

A poetic masterpiece. I enjoyed it immensely. Although, when you think about it, if ever there was a person whose legend burned out before their candle it was the Queen Mother. I mean, I’m in my forties and in my whole life I only heard her speak once! She was hardly in the consciousnesses of baby boomer-type people very much at all.

Loudon Wainwright, now there’s some deep lyrics:

“Dead skunk in the middle of the road, stinkin’ to high heaven”.

Elton John’s music was classic until “Rock of the Westies”. That semi-sucked, and everything after that bit the big one big time. I still listen to his 70’s songs because they are timeless to me. But once 1980 rolled around I was embarrassed to call myself a fan.

Um, actually, lorinada, I was gushing about Rufus Wainwright, Loudon’s son. Completely different, unless Loudon has taken to writing vast, sweeping operatic paeans to gay culture.

Can’t say I care much for Loudon’s stuff, but his son is astonishing. If you’ve never heard of him, hunt down some of his stuff and check it out; if you like the old Elton John stuff, I’m willing to bet you’ll be impressed.

Am I right in thinking that Loudon Wainwright III was the guy who wrote “Suicide is Painless” (the MAS*H theme), and also had a role in that show for awhile, or should I look into switching my medication?
(Stoid, go ahead and show this thread to Bernie’s best friend - it might be the wake-up call they so desperately need :D))

I’d say this is more or less accurate. I can’t believe so many people would advertise their dislike for Elton John / Taupin without adding the immense caveat that they made incredible music for years and years prior to sliding a bit.

Personally I blame the 80’s, which also claimed Genesis and several other legitamate musicians, strangling them in its vile, poptacular grasp.

Everybody knows this (I expect) but Reg’s cousin Roy played for Nottingham Forest in the 1959 FA Cup Final against Luton Town.

Roy broke a Leg and his team won 2-1.

Luton Town have not reached an FA Cup Final since, which probably serves them right.

I, for one, did not know that. Fascinating.

I tried to get my ex-husband to give our son the middle name of “Grimsby”. The unimaginative twit insisted on using his own first name instead.

I did get to see Elton in concert once …in 1976. Great concert, even from the nosebleed seats.

Yeah, give it a reggae beat and add Uillean pipes, that’s classy.