Something strange happening in my cola float

Not so far. I was saying I wish I could get it here, haven’t seen it. Not to say they haven’t got some rather nice local brands, but one misses the familiar. :wink: If they did have it, I wouldn’t be using Haagen-Dazs. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ll trade you a pint for a stonner.

For a what now? :wink: Pity the Breyer’s wouldn’t survive the crossing.

No true Scotsman would drink a float with Pepsi instead of Root Beer.

It’s a message from the Float God, telling you that you’re supposed to put the ice cream in the glass FIRST and THEN pour the soda over the top of it.

A stonner.

Other food fad from Scotland: deep-fried Mars bars. Next thing you know you’ll be saying “what’s a haggis.”

Whatup widdat?

That’s how I do it too, BTW. It makes sense; it sends the life-giving water of the soda downward to release the spirit (or anima) of the ice cream, which lay *in potentia.

Werner Herzog would call it the “Voodoo of Ice Cream.”

I was talking to a Scot(sman?) today, and he said he always used to drink dandelion and burdock. Never heard of it–although he told where I could get it in NYC–and lo and behold:

In USA of course there are many types/styles of “root beer.” But I can’t even imagine how this one compares with A&W, Mugs, etc., all the most generic ones. Should I run out to the overpriced Scottish import store and buy some?

The secret Pepsi recipe is able change from cane sugar to HFCS??

You try finding root beer here that doesn’t have aspartame in. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Did that last night, purely in the name of science you understand, and the same thing happened.

I haven’t been in Scotland long enough to go native.

Don’t do it. It’s nasty. Bitter as all get-out. It’s more a liver tonic than a refreshment. Root Beer as we know it is not made from these roots. I believe Sasparilla was the root used for what we know as root beer, though modern root beer probably bears as much resemblance to sasparilla as modern marshmallows do to their ancestor.

Though if I ever find one of the Fentiman’s variety, I might try it. Their ginger beer is very nice, though the Victorian Lemonade is not to my taste.

Does this help in solving your problem?

From “Protein distribution at air interfaces in dairy foams and ice cream as affected by casein dissociation and emulsifiers”, International Dairy Journal, 14:7, 2004.

Abstract
The objective of this study was to investigate the effects of EDTA-induced partial dissociation of casein micelles and the presence of emulsifiers on the aerating properties of milk proteins and the composition of air–serum interfaces in both dairy foams and ice cream. It was observed that added EDTA increased soluble caseins and improved the whippability of milk protein solutions but did not increase the overrun of ice cream. Immuno-gold labeled specimens for transmission electron microscopy (TEM) of ice cream showed that the composition of the air–serum interface depended on ice cream formulation. EDTA induced more non-micellar caseins to adsorb at both fat–serum and air–serum interfaces while mono- and di-glycerides (MDG) caused fat globules to directly adsorb to air–serum interfaces. The presence of EDTA in ice cream increased the stability of the ice cream emulsion to shear and greatly decreased the proportion of fat globules involved in air–serum interfacial adsorption.*

*EDTA is added to some food as a preservative or stabilizer to prevent catalytic oxidative decoloration, which is catalyzed by metal ions. [Wiki]

SCIENCE!

Er, short answer, it might if I understood it. :wink: My chemistry minor is a bit rusty. I’ll take another look at it tomorrow with a fresher mind, heh.