State Department Career Advance: Foreign Service Officer

Current FSO checking in. It’s one of the best jobs I’ve ever had, and one of the most interesting jobs in the world.

To add to what others have posted above, yes, the exams are competitive, but don’t let that dissuade you. The written one is fairly easy, or at least I found it so, but the oral exam is challenging. Sign up for the written exam and take it - you might just pass and surprise yourself.

There are several study guides, and the recommended reading list is a good start. As for my personal preparation, I just read the Washington Post and New York Times for a year and was good to go.(Although that degree in international politics with 2 study abroads might have had something to do with it…)

Previous international experience is not a prerequisite, just a keen mind and an interest in foreign policy. Since it sounds like you already have that, take a crack at it. They’ve changed the oral exam since I’ve been in the service – I entered in 2002 and took the oral exam in March 2001.

Assuming you do pass, there’s an officer orientation course of 12 weeks that you have to take, no tests at the end or anything. You’ll get assigned to a country through a systematic process that I believe involves drunken monkeys and a dartboard. I kid, I kid. Actually, you have a list of the open jobs and you have to prepare a list of 20-25 countries that you’d like to serve in with justification. Your ability to get a medical clearance may affect your posting.

Once you get your job, you go through tradecraft courses to prepare you for the job you’ll be doing, language classes so you can communicate and protocol classes so you know which fork to use at state dinners. After a few months, you fly out to the country that you’ll call home for the next two years.

It’s a great way to travel, and seeing as your housing is paid for and people’s first 2 tours are generally in the developing world, a good way to save money. If you serve at a 20 percent or above “hardship” or differential post, there’s also a student loan repayment program.

Language proficency is not a requirement, they’ll sweat you through what you need. I’ve seen many other officers who had qualifications similar to what you describe --don’t sweat it, just take a chance.

I’ve been in Peru for nearly 2 years, and before this was in Sri Lanka from 2003-2005. I’ll be going to Afghanistan in September for 12 months, and after that I hope to go to Bangkok.

If you have any questions my email’s in my profile --feel free to send me a message. And if any other Dopers have questions about what I do, I’ll start a thread if there’s interest.

Well, I’d like to hear more about it.

I’m finishing up my degree in International Studies and have been interested in jobs with the State Department for quite a while, so I’m keeping an eye on this thread also.

-foxy

Thank you False God, Least Original and others,

I think I just need to go for it. I am going to study up the same way you did (NYTimes, BBC, Washington Post), take the GRE and get into something related, and maybe learn a language. I think I need to realize, as some of you have said, that such a background would not go to waste, even if I do not make it :slight_smile:

I will be watching this thread as I am so very interested :slight_smile:

THANKS!!! You made my day

If you look through the site, you’ll notice that they’re actually currently in the process of changing the test right now and they might be making announcements about the timing of the new test reasonably soon.

One thing that isn’t necessarily clear is that passing the tests doesn’t mean you’re in - it means you’re now on the waiting list of people the State Department may hire someday.

Good luck!

Really? So you might make it through all the steps and wait years to hear back?

It sounds less stringent than the Canadian one. Here you have to pass several tests and a whack of interviews and that can take a while. But if you really have a passion to do that work, you’ll wait.

Folks, if anyone is interested and doesn’t want to hijack this thread, I’ve started an Äsk the…"thread here for questions and insight on my experiences in joining and working in the FS.

More thoughts for yaybuffalo:

Where do you live? Most of the cool, international-political jobs are based in DC or NY. Maybe you could consider moving to these cities to increase your options?

You don’t need an Ivy league degree to do ID work (I went/am going to a public university for both undergrad and my master’s), however I do believe that having an advanced degree helps. For ID work, not only are you competing against Americans, but with many people all over the world as well.

I will be watching that thread like a hawk False God- thanks for all of your input.

I just received an email from the FOS website and it was also very incitful.

Hey Vice, I live in Buffalo NY. The cost of living here is great so it gives me an opportunity to save up money in my sales job this year and prepare to use it all for grad school or whatever. I agree though that it would be a wise move to get into the DC area eventually.

Not exactly - you might make it through all the steps and then get kicked off the list after 18 months have gone by.

And then you get to start over at the beginning of the whole process.

On the other hand, you might make it through the list in less time and have a wonderful, fulfilling career.