Summer books -- what'cha reading?

i do hope you got" lean mean 13". it is the usual romp. i do enjoy ms plum. i re-read 1-12 the week before 13 came out. grabbed 13 the morning it was on sale, and finished it that day.

i’m in cozy mystery mode right now. i’m in the middle of “organize your corpses” a cozy about a prof. organizer who’s client dies under a wall of newpapers and a house beam. got 2 more lined up for the weekend.

i’m looking forward to james rollins’ new book next month. and of course harry. i’ll start the potter re-reads around july 13.

Read and liked Special Topics in Calamity Physics.

Just started The Pyrates by George MacDonald Fraser (a Doper recommendation, though I don’t remember whose) – utterly delightful so far.

Just finished Vinge’s “Fire Upon the Deep”, and now I’m reading “A Deepness in the Sky”. Vinge can write, I tells you. Next up is Dan Simmons’ “Fall of Hyperion”.

Good luck on the LSAT, brother. Courage!

I just finished Haunted Ground, by Erin Hart. It’s the story of a perfectly preserved severed head found in an Irish bog. Very atmospheric, though the romance between the two main characters was a little predictable. Still, I enjoyed the heck out of it.

I’m also reading Random Harvest, by James Hilton. It’s about the life of a post First World War industrialist/politician who woke up on a park bench in Liverpool after the war, not knowing how he got there and with the memory of his war years a blank. So far, it’s keeping my attention.

I was never a big reader, but I got into it this summer since I take the train to and from work each day.

I just finished up Pride and Prejudice, then I’m moving on to Underworld, How to Be Good (already read High Fidelity and About a Boy), and Mansfield Park.

I’m slogging through a couple of Diana Gabaldon books (I’m on Dragonfly in Amber now.) They’re ok, but not great, at least not for me. But it’s easy reading.

Librivox is doing Jane Eyre now, and I’m listening to it, and CraftLit is working through A Tale of Two Cities.

My eyes are currently bad enough that reading off a page just isn’t that much fun. :frowning: It’s a little easier for me to read off my Palm, because I can change font size and brightness/contrast. So if I can’t find something in ebook form, I probably won’t read it anymore. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Oooh, one of my favorites. In fact I discovered that I somehow accumulated 3 separate copies of it.

I was actually just reading the Wikipedia article about Typhoid Mary earler today and thinking I’d like to know more. Cool!
I just finished reading Stephen King’s new(old, actually, it was written in the early 70s)book, Blaze, about a somewhat…slow small time criminal who kidnaps a baby. I enjoyed it quite a bit, much more than most of his recent stuff.

I just picked up Jeffery Deaver’s, ‘The Sleeping Doll’.
I enjoy his books, especially the Lincoln Rhyme novels.
This one is starting out pretty good. I think I’ll enjoy it!

So far this month I’ve finished:

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis - excellent book, started a thread about it.
Bill, Galactic Hero and Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers by Harry Harrison - screamingly funny parodies even though I’ve never read the material they’re parodies of. They really surprised me as all I’d read of Harrison before was Make Room! Make Room which is… slightly darker in mood. Star Smashers, especially, was hysterical.
The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis - recommended by someone in the thread I started about The Screwtape Letters. Should start a thread on this one as I don’t entirely agree with the generally accepted interpretation.
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes - this book should be required reading for absolutely everybody everywhere. If you’ve read it, you know what I mean. It had me bawling. Very, very few books have.
Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King - very different from what King was writing at the time, and very intriguing, but ultimately disappointing. Epic in mood but not in scope.

I’ve just started my Richard Adams festival. I’m reading Shardik, and Watership Down and The Plague Dogs are waiting. So far Shardik is excellent; I was dead tired last night but I just had to keep reading to see what Kelderek was going to say to the Tuginda.

I just finished the first of the Dresden Files books, by Jim Blucher. I am sold, and will be picking up the rest over the summer. They are what the Anita Blake books should be like, but so aren’t.

Now I am reading the second book in the Song of Ice and Fire books. I thought I had outgrown fantasy, having had a hard time finding decent fantasy to suit my more mature outlook on fiction. This series, however, has changed that for me.

Also looking forward to the new Harry Potter, and thinking of some of the “Classics” mentioned here. We’ll see.

That sounds like a great read, like Mark Kurlansky’s Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World. I would, however, recommend against The World of Caffeine: The Science and Culture of the World’s Most Popular Drug. The writing is a bit shaky, and it’s separated out in a manner so that the science bits are segregated from the history and seem to drag on with endless repetitions.

Right now, I’m reading China Mieville’s The Scar. I haven’t gotten far enough into it to give it a rating, but so far it’s kept my interest building.

I keep track of what I’m reading these days through Anobii; here’s my page if anyone’s interested.

I don’t know yet, though it’s Winchester’s **The Meaning of Everything ** at the moment. Since elfkin477 mentioned it in this thread in January, I’ve joined 50 Book Challenge and am at 53 so far for the year. I’m also reviewing the books I read at shoshanapnw.livejournal.com if anybody’s interested (I added tags this week to make it easier to search).

If you have trouble finding the sequels, check under “Jim Butcher” instead…

:stuck_out_tongue:

I have recently finished:

Skullduggery Pleasant A fun children’s supernatural detective novel. Not the next Harry Potter, but not bad.

The Name Of The Wind As I mentioned in another thread, I consider this a story teller’s tale. I really enjoyed it, but now must wait for the next installment. I hate waiting!

Coyote Dreams To be honest, a view this as a mediocre series, but it is a quick easy read and I often like that when I have as many other things going on in my life as I currently do. I also think it is geared more towards women than men, but that doesn’t bug me too much, many of the books in my queue right now probably are. Since I usually pass them off to a female friend, it works out for her too.

I am now reading:
The Trouble With Magic Again, probably geared towards women, this has some magical women solving a murder. I am enjoying it though.

The Way Of The Turtle a book on investing. It is too soon in my reading for me to give an opinion.

A couple of geek books relating to embedded Linux and Linux for home automation and other such books that may aid my career. I am not reading these with any real “plan” but just pick them up when I feel like it.

there are far too many in the queue for me to say what I will read next.

A follow up to The Traveler is due out in July and although I am looking forward to that, I think I have decided to let Mom buy it for me for XMas. I usually ask for a slew of books from her and she gets me a half dozen or so.

I have a love-hate relationship with these threads. I always end up spending too much money on new books.

I’m reading this one too! I’ve read just about everything else he’s written except this one. And Mary’s a lot different than his other stuff and I can’t decide if I like it or not. I’ve picked it up and put it back down for the past two months without finishing it yet. Mary’s story is fascinating but your description of Bourdain as Count Olaf is hilariously accurate.

Right now, I’ve just started on The Nature of Monsters. I’m loving it so far and the best thing about it is Clare Clark’s astonishingly vivid descriptions of 1700s London. I can smell the sewage in the ditches and the unwashed masses of humanity in the streets. Whee!

I also finished A Thousand Splendid Suns recently and have to say it far surpassed his first book, The Kite Runner, which I found a little glurgey. Splendid Suns is a far different book and I can’t recommend it highly enough. Don’t pass it up if you didn’t like The Kite Runner.

I, also, have just read Kushiel’s Justice, by Jacqueline Carey. It was fun. Silly, and fun.

I’ve got Good Things, by Jane Grigson, to read in chunks. She’s a delightful writer and her recipes are always excellent.

Going to borrow Jesus of Nazareth sometime in the next week, plus maybe a Flashman book for light balance, and I should finally read Confederacy of Dunces sometime before Wednesday, so I can give it back to my FiL.

After that I have no specific book plans until fall when the new McKinley novel and John Thorne food essay book comes out. Oh, aside from Wendy Shalit’s Girls Gone Mild, which should be released soon. And The Language of God, by Francis Collins? And the new Annie Dillard novel.

Maybe I do have a book list. Mostly I read what I happen to pick up at work.

The Francine Prose book, Reading Like a Writer, is fantastic.

Right now I am very much enjoying “Kavalier and Clay” by Michael Chabon. Up next is “Michael Tolliver Lives!” by Armistead Maupin…

I’ve waited 18 years for the next “Tales of the City” book and finaly it’s here! :0)

Totally. She’s been on NPR quite a bit. She’s an impressive speaker – coherent and engaging, just like her book.

I’m tempted to try her fiction. Have you read any of it?

Auntie Pam, **Softspoken **looks good. I’ve requested it from my library.

I’m trying to finish **Angelica **by Arthur Phillips. It’s a “spellbinding victorian ghost story” told from four different points of view. I’m finding the section written from the husband’s point of view is dragging a bit. I feel I’d be enjoying the book more on a winter’s day than sitting by the pool.

I’m meeting up with an English friend in Las Vegas in August so I’m having him bring me some books that aren’t out here or available at my library. Heck, he’ll be getting his geek on at the Everquest fanfair most of the time, least he can do is bring me something to read!

I’m getting The House at Riverton by Kate Morton, The Savage Garden by Mark Mills and **Relentless **by Simon Kernick. All three have been recommended by friends in the UK, but I’m rather worried as they are all ‘Richard and Judy Book Club’ selections. Perhaps their standards have picked up a bit since I lived there. Anyone who’s read them, please let me know if I’ve wasted my money.

Regarding wasting my money, I’m also getting Wicked! by Jilly Cooper and Chart Throb by Ben Elton. Neither have gotten good reviews but I’ve enjoyed most other books by them and I’d rather not have to think too hard by the pool or in the airport. I’ve actually missed a flight before I was so engrossed in a book.