Susanna Hoffs/Bangles...Walk Like an Egyptian.

1996 called. It wants it’s Pop-Up Video back :smiley:

Right before the whole Walk Like An Egyptian thing hit, I was a student worker at my college’s basketball/multipurpose arena. Best work-study job ever! Whenever we had concerts, I was ‘working’ the show. I have such a good Susanna Hoffs story, it still makes me swoon a little bit here over two decades later.

After the concert was over, the roadies are moving the equipment out to the truck, but the Bangles were not big time yet, so there were probably a total of 8-10 real roadies there. It was such a small time tour that a few of us locals were enlisted to help out.

So, most of the gear is loaded into the truck, and the band themselves have started coming out of the little dressing room area (the women’s locker room) and heading for the bus. A few of us college boys jumped at the chance to help them carry their things. Being the closest, I managed to wind up walking beside Ms Hoffs carrying her travel bag. :smiley:

We get to the bus, and I get, as thanks, a nice little slightly bourbon-y kiss from Ms Hoffs. I think I may have just stood there slack faced for a good 5 minutes.:o:o

4 months later, they were big, and no longer playing small college shows. But I still remember that kiss.

Hot chicks, fun song. That’s a good mix.

That deserves a virtual HIGH FIVE. Nice work!

Okay, I never knew, until seeing it over on the side on YouTube there, that Leonard Nimoy was in their video for “Going Down to Liverpool.”

Worthless guitar and music trivia is my life. :wink:

This is going to be completely obscure… maybe fellow anime fans in the know like deltasigma or Airk can back me up.

Way back in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s, there was a comedy anime dubbing group called “Pinesalad Productions”. They are probably best known for taking episodes of Harmony Gold’s Robotech re-cut of Macross and redubbing them with rude, juvenile humour.

They also dubbed several episodes of Sunrise’s The Dirty Pair adaptation, however. I’ll never forget in one episode, when the Pair’s boss Luigi calls them on the video phone, he asks Kei if she knows who Susanna Hoffs from The Bangles is. When Kei responds in the affirmative, Luigi says he’s been working on his impression of her, and then shifts his eyes from side to side in that familiar fashion.

I still find that gag hilarious. Too bad nobody seems to have copies of those dubs any more…

Nice, but I kept on expecting the Terminator to bust in inquiring “Sarah Connor?”

One factor that should have been trivial was her height. Hoffs was several inches shorter than her bandmates. So when the band posed for group shots, photographers often arranged the four of them so Hoffs was in front. The unintended effect was that it looked like Hoffs was the star and the other three were her back-up band.

Oh yes.

Does it make that scene creepy to know her mother directed the film? I can just picture it: “come on honey. Wear this! Boys will like you. You need to get out more.”

(Talk about unfairly maligned films. According to wikipedia, the film received a 0 on Rotten Tomatoes. Come on - it’s not THAT bad.)

In the good old days Beavis and Butthead were amused/annoyed by that little affectation - “How come that chick keeps looking up?”

Dumbass show or not, their little video commentary snippets were frequently gold :D.

Thank you, thank you so much for bringing that clip to my attention!

Agree, she’s still a beauty but I liked the big 80s hair.

I saw this a few days ago…

And she has a love for the Rickenbacker… which makes her hotter.
ETA: …or what WordMan said.

IIRC, Dennis Miller also did that on one of the SNL Weekend Updates. Hilarious :slight_smile:

I saw Hoffs around '95 or '96, she did a spontaneous free concert out at Westlake Plaza downtown Seattle.

My favorite from her “Under the Covers” albums mentioned in this thread is Rod Stewart’s Maggie May. She has a gravely floor to her voice like Rod, and when she sings it she totally flips the feel of it (at least in my fantasy) of being the older-cougar Maggie singing the story. She can use me up and kick me to the curb any day swoon.

I agree about her Rickenbacker. They released a Hoff’s signature-edition model that is apparently now very hard to find and expensive. Saw one come up on E-Bay a few years ago, something like $4000, wish I’d had the money to frivolously binge on that…

I listened to that album this afternoon, inspired by this thread, and intended to link to her version of Maggie May, but didn’t because I couldn’t find a link to the recording. She does Rod Stewart better there than Bonnie Tyler ever could, if you can believe it. And sung by her it’s really ambiguous, because of course it’s originally sung from the point of view of a young man, but I never saw it your way. Interesting interpretation.

Btw., Matthew Sweet does a spot on Tom Petty impersonation on that album, too.

The idea was hilarious, the execution was…not.

I love the look of Ricky’s. But their necks typically have a nut width of 1 5/8". Argh, so narrow (1 3/4" is more common and that 1/8" different is huge to folks like me with sausage fingers). I am sure her sig model has a skinny neck profile, too - she’s hot, but I couldn’t play her guitar!