The Gen'l. Slocum Dopefest Thread (June 12-13)

We should arrange to meet somewhere before the cruise, say, at 8:30, nearby? There will be a big crowd, and we all want to be in a group when the fire breaks out . . .

Anyone familiar with the area? Where’s a good spot to meet? I get the bends below 14th Street.

9:00 am? In the morning? I figured this crusie would be scheduled for some civilized hour. Like 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

I’ll set my alarm for 5. Somebody bring coffee.

Reminder that a “continental” breakfast will be provided, although lord knows what continent’s portions they’ll use…

Sure breakfast, that’s the meal you eat at 11, am I right?

A bump.

a bump
Sue and are are still planning to go-Kinda delayed and did not order our tickets yet but are hoping too
CWN

Who else is coming next Saturday? Where shall we meet? I am totally lost below Washington Square–the boat leaves at 9:00 a.m. from the South Street Seaport Museum dock.

I hope the weather is as lovely next week as is was 100 years ago, and that not as many people die.

i’m waiting for my ticket. i hope it arrives before friday.

I received my ticket today, way up in the lost wastelands of Orange County.

Let’s not get greedy. As long as it’s one or the other, we shouldn’t complain.

So, where and when shall we meet? I’ll be wearing a beige linen suit, c1912. A few years off, but it’s very “summer outing-y.”

I have five tickets - for the OxyBF, me, and three friends of ours. See you then!

I’m sorry to give such late notice, but I won’t be able to make it; my summer projects are piling up a bit. Hope this doesn’t inconvenience anyone & hope y’all have a good time. :slight_smile:

(And I was so looking forward to finally meeting Eve ! Perhaps another time.).

Well it’s looking good for me or Sue this weekend. I was called away to Fla due to ailing parents.
I may get back in time but it is not looking good :frowning:

There’s a big article in today’s NY Times (Tues., June 8) about the Slocum.

P.S. I hope your parents are doing okay, CWN . . .

So right now, it’s looking like Eve, the OxyFive, perhaps rocking chair, and myself.

We need to have a meeting plan. Does anyone know a landmark at the South Street Seaport Museum? No help from me - the last time I was there, Reagan was still President.

I get the bends below 14th Street, so had to get a downtown map. I’m going to get the PATH to the WTC around 8:00-ish, walk down B’way to Wall, then crosstown to South Street and north to the Pier 17 Pavillion, which is where I assume the boat leaves from (it’s the South Street Seaport). Anyone familiar with Way the Hell Downtown suggest a meeting spot?

I would suggest meeting by the Peking, the largest of the ships at the Seaport.

my ticket arrived today!!!

what time are we to meet at the peking?

8:45 would give us time to get to the boat that’s actually going to be carrying us.