The World's Greatest Rock n Roll Album Covers

London Calling as an updated take on a rock legend.

I was always a big fan of the Police, and this was their best album cover.

Thisand the gatefold was a centerfold.

Thanks! I never gave the cover a second glance and noticed that there was more to it. From Wiki:
[

](Ghost in the Machine (album) - Wikipedia)

If you’re into interesting album covers and what’s really there, check out the cover of Meddle. It’s kind of one of those when you see it, you’ll… things. If you’ve never noticed (especially if you have/had the vinyl laying around), give it some staring time; it’s worth it. If anyone knows/has seen it, it’s probably a good idea to put it in a spoiler to keep the fun.

Oh relax. It’s an album cover, not a physics text book. And was the light bent “wrong” on purpose?

Nonetheless, kudos for Thick as a Brick, a fine “interactive” cover, complete with connect the dot puzzle and fine bits of weirdness.

For this set we’ll go:

1. Thick as a Brick
  2. Powerslave – tons going on
  3. Captain Fantastic – ditto
  4. Weasels Ripped My Flesh - humor counts!
  5. American Stars N Bars – humor and up skirting, before up skirting was called that.
  6. Ghost in the Machine – pretty cool indeed
  7. London Calling – nice juxtaposition with Elvis, thanks for that.
  8. Meddle – which is creepy cool.
  9. Honey – which instantly made me think of this: A taste of honey Yeah, not rock… but still…
  10. The White Album – or “The Beatles”. Certainly caused a stir.

And let’s start off the day with some diamond dogs

I’ve always been fond of a lot of the psychedelic covers of the 1960’s. I’m particularly fond of this one: File:Axiscover.jpg - Wikipedia

Yes, but as the biggest selling album of all time it’s had a real effect on people’s knowledge of optics. It could have been a positive effect if done right.

I have always wondered whether it was deliberate or not, the 25 year documentary on DSotM failed to clear up that point unfortunately. I’d love to know.

Live Dead, by the Grateful Dead.

Led Zeppelin I
Led Zeppelin- Houses of the Holy
The Beatles- Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
Kiss- Destroyer

Just one album per person a day, vision. And please include a link.

Oh my. You have no idea the things I was on while listening to this. You are so right about my optics being effected. Wait, what was the question?

Ah, well. All part of the fun is wild speculation.

Abbey Road, listed earlier, was a prime example. Why is Paul barefoot? Why is he walking out of step with the other Beatles? Is Paul dead? Jeepers creepers. Any cheap trick they could think of to sell more albums. Total mind blow for a group of kids who wanted their minds blown. The packaging as part of the show.

I nominate Man’s Be Good To Yourself At Least Once A Day…but not for the cover.

It’s the fold out inner sleeve that that makes it one of the truly great examples of album art.

I don’t see it! Wah! Spoiler it?

It’s a view into someone’s ear.

Oh. It wasn’t a testicle, then. Thanks!

I have always been a fan of the cover of Discipline by King Crimson, which I believe mirrors the lyrics to Indiscipline (…I carried it around with me for days and days… playing little games, like not looking at it for a whole day, and then… looking at it… to see if I still liked it… I did), which I believe mirrors the tensions among the band members over time and space within and out of the music…

of course, Wiki refutes everything I believe, but I still like the cover, which appears to be a Celtic Knot

Scorpions Lovedrive. Another Strom Thorgerson/Hipgnosis creation.

Bat Out of Hell.

I came in to nominate Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy but ZenBeam beat me to it.

Thanks for the Ghost in the Machine lesson - I never saw the band member pix before - that raises the awesomeness level of what was already a clever cover. For those who don’t know, “ghost in the machine” was originally a philosophical reference to the idea of the mind or soul inhabiting the human body.

I’ll nominate this Supertramp album which never fails to amuse me. http://diskoduck.cz/shop/images/supertramp-breakfast%20in%20america-album-cover.jpg