Thinking Of Putting My Mom In Assisted Living

It is time we put him in Long Term Care. We have looked at a ton of facilities here in southern California but, the problem is we can not afford any of them. We began doing some research on assisted living and long term care in Mexico since we are so close to the border. We have read great reviews and articles regarding this. This past weekend we visited a place called Residencia Lourdes Pacifica in Ensenada, it is a beachfront facility that specializes in Dementia/Alzheimer´s and is a quarter of the price of anything I found in Southern California. Does anyone know of this place or have any advice on this type of international care? Thank you and bless you all.

I think that assisted living gives too many opportunities for elder abuse, elder fraud, and just plain old crappy care. I worked in an adult retirement community for a while, and the director, who was 100% by-the-book, was also 100% ingratiating herself with all of the coherent, propertied elders, and kinda pressuring them into business deals and bequeathals (sp?). Guess in whose favor?

I further propose that for every Florence Nightengale/Angel of Mercy there are 10 Ilsa Koches/Angels of Death.

Not enough time to spew the venom that I want to direct against nursing/elderly care/etc… workers, but, I would suggest that, for whatever expense the assisted living place will milk out of you, you could provide better care for mom yourself, and make sure that there is no abuse going on.

Word to the wise…

best wishes,
hh