To the obese woman whose cell phone rang at the tomb of the unknown soldier

That really riles you up? It’s kind of tacky for the OP to describe her that way, but can you seriously say that thought has never crossed your mind when you see a certain type of individual? Or are you so completely and thoroughly non-judgmental that those types of thoughts never cross your brain?

White trash?

That’s like those styrofoam take-home boxes that they give you at Claim Jumper when you can’t finish your sandwich, right? And then, since they put it in a plastic bag that doesn’t have a flat bottom, it goes all tilt-y when you try to bring it out to the car, and the gravy spills out over everything, and it’s just a big MESS when you get it home, so you have to throw it away anyway.

I think your observation is right on, and to the OP’s credit, he apologized for the remark. You’d think that would be the end of it, but clearly this is going to devolve into a sniveling whine-fest of “Waaaah, the evil PC police won’t let us say anything.”

I can be judgmental as hell, but whatever I may think of of a “certain type of individual,” it is not that he or she may be white trash. The term is racist and offensive by definition. It singles out an individual based on his race, (white,) and assigns a derogatory characteristic as a necessary element of that designation, (trash.)

Try walking down a street in Harlem yelling about the “black trash” and see how far you get.

White trash = human? What a fucking dumbass.

Here’s a clue for ya to chew on. “I didn’t feel a thing” is no way to determine the extent of another’s injury.

I see nothing wrong with the OP, seeing how he also describes the soldier as “impeccably dressed”.

Whether this woman was intentionally being rude I’ll leave that up to debate, but whatever the case, this was obviously a very touching moment for the OP that was spoiled by the most God-awful ring ever. So now he equates this woman and her physical characteristics (being whatever they are) as something that disgust him while he talks reveringly about the soldier’s who he feels were wronged by an insulting happenstance.

Maybe if he was writing about a SO that had cheated on him he’d descibe her as “that fucking anorexic-looking bimbo”, even though she is drop-dead gorgeous. But I guess there is a line being drawn by the members about this thread, just stating where I stand.

That’s an amazing ringtone - if I was confronted with that in a situation which should otherwise be quiet, I would literally - not figuratively - murder the person who it belonged to, and I’d be posting this from jail.

Hanging’s too good for her.

If you want to make fun of people for being fat, having larger than average heads, bad teeth, and what-have-you, just come to the American Idol threads in Cafe Society.

So she forgot to turn her phone off. Big whoop.

When we were at the ceremony, some older kids and adults were grab-assing and* kicking beer cans down into the ceremony area*. The guy in the ceremony YELLED at them in front of the whole crowd (and it was pretty damn scary).

Save your disgust for those who really deserve it.

“As soon as she realized” was after the first full cycle of the ring. You have heard the ring, have you not? If she really did ignore it for as long as that first repetition took, and it continued for part of another, that’s as much time as cells usually ring before switching to voicemail. Only in this case, orders of magnitude more obnoxious than the average ringtone. (I honestly thought the OP was describing what the ringtone effectively meant, not what it actually sounded like.)

bigbabysweets, that’s awesome.

And Kalhoun, I would love to have seen that.

[QUOTE=Rilchiam
And Kalhoun, I would love to have seen that.[/QUOTE]

I can’t remember if we actually cheered or if the urge to was palpable. Either way, the crowd loved it.

See, I don’t agree that it is inconsequential. Noise pollution from cell phones invades our communal space, and rude people who let their phones ring in public places should be chastised (and yes, in a PC manner. I apologize for the insults-in-the-name-of-humor-and-context). Noise pollution in general is rude. I don’t mind so much if my neighbors whoop it up during a ball game on TV, or if someone taps his or her horn to signal a friend passing on the street, or if I can’t hear myself think at a noisy bar (well, I do mind it, but I try not to frequent loud bars). I do mind when people thoughtlessly produce noise: I hate loud motorcycles. I look down on obnoxious loud people in restaurants. And yes, I berate people who allow their cell phones to ring loudly in public (well, I’m not rude enough to give more than a self-righteous raising of my eyebrows publicly). That someone would allow such a distinctly tacky ring tone to blare during a solemn ceremony is worthy of rebuke.

Don’t care how much she weighs, and I can understand (I guess) forgetting to turn off the ring, although I never forget to turn off mine in a situation like that.

But she still deserves a beat down for her ridiculous choice of ringtone.

Meh on the cell phone thing.

It reminds me of something that happened a few months ago (please forgive me for the hijack):

I had my three kids with me one fine afternoon, and since we were in the vicinity, I stopped at the Iwo Jima Memorial and Netherlands Carillion, a nice grassy park area for visiting. Anyway, I wanted to show my kids (8, 5, and 2) the Iwo Jima Memorial, but when we were there, the kids were running around and hollering, as kids do. At first, I was mortified, because this was a memorial to those brave soldiers, etc…but then I thought, y’know, I’d bet that the soldiers memorialized here would much rather have kids running around and hollering at their memorial than a bunch of people praying and crying, etc.

Of course, if I was a dead soldier and I had any control over things, I would have played some kind of trick on the cell phone person, like rattling my urn then blowing out the Eternal Flame or something.

Too true! She’d only go & snap the rope, the fat bitch…

I don’t mind people being people around memorials, either. But a ceremony is a different animal. Shaddup, already…ya ingrates!

People like this have no sense of embarassment or shame.

Not that it would be a bad idea to cultivate one in them…

People are human. We forget things and make mistakes. It happens. Our society has been inundated with “tacky” for years now; and we love it. I don’t think anyone should be chastised for a simple mistake. And I’d hardly equate a forgotten cell phone ringer with someone who honks their horn for anything other than an emergency. One is accidental and one is deliberate.

Yes, but she didn’t seem to care that she was out of line. And as has already been said, that ringtone would be out of line in any situation apart from a club or perhaps an amusement park.

People like what exactly? People with loud cellphone ring tones?

You know this how?

Maybe all you folks that are complaining about the ring tone could point me to where the socially acceptable ring tones are to be found?

CMC fnord!