Unwelcome house guests are preventing me from enjoying my new printer!

Nah, just charm it and make it a pet, then go terrorizing the countryside.

Get chickens. When we moved out to the sticks there were jillions of black widow spiders outside and an occaisional one inside. Six months later we got a half dozen chicken that roamed freely, and a month after that was the last time we ever saw a black widow. Hiding or eaten didn’t metter to us, they were gone.

Of course, your place will smell like a henhouse but (glances at three empty fogger bomb cans) that’s a small price to pay.

Chickens, the true omnivores.

DD

Jeezum crow. Get a grip. It’s just a black widow.

1UpHealth sez:

I guess I’m jaded since I grew up in Arizona. If it’s pointy, pokey, stabby, bitey, (hey, I liked “arachnidy”), stingy or venemous we have it. There are only two species of venemous lizard in the world and we have both of them. BWs aren’t on my list of things I’ve been venomed by and I only have bee, wasp, scorpion, mexican brown spider and jellyfish larvae but that last one wasn’t in Arizona.

OpalCat,

People have died from black widow bites.

Adults.

Young otherwise healthy adults.

Granted those most likely to die are the elderly and infants but that’s no excuse for tossing off a comment like "They’re not that poisonous.

And the correct term is venemous.

Could be worse. Could be brown recluse spiders.

I used to know a guy who came home from work one day in Sacramento, flopped down on the couch and felt something poke him in the butt. Turned out to be a brown recluse that bit him. (He had presence of mind to capture the critter for identification)

Ultimately, he lost a roughly golf ball-sized chunk of flesh that became necrotic (dead) from the bite.

People have died from bee stings, people have died from fire ants, people have died from a lot of things. Some people have a serious reaction to black widows–most people do not. For most people, you wouldn’t even need to go to the emergency room.

I think that I’m quite right in saying that they’re not that poisonous that someone would have to leap back in fear and fog their whole house. They aren’t THAT poisonous. Or venemous, whatever. :rolleyes:

I’m not getting into this argument! Remember, this thread is about my new printer! :stuck_out_tongue:

(but if one of those suckers DID bite me, in the ass or anywhere else, I’m going to the ER! And I’m a’gonna be whining!)

Oh I’d go to the ER too, I’m just saying that you wouldn’t need to… as in you likely could get by just toughing it out. Me, I’d want meds. And sympathy. And cute interns fretting over me.

Especially the interns.

No way in hell.

Spiders are God’s gift to those afraid of insects.

What about people afraid of spiders?

Cute interns??

Hmm. I’m afraid my wife would frown on that…

[Homer J.]MMMMMMM! Candystrippers![/HJ]

[sup]Astrogirl would feed me to the spiders if she thought I was visiting the ER for the nookie![/sup]

I agree with you that death is rare, but the venom of a black widow is much more toxic that that of a rattlesnake. You just get a smaller dose. Some people can tough it out, but unlike a bee or wasp sting, a person should quickly seek medical attention even if they don’t have a known allergy:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2061A.html

"The severity of a person’s reaction to the bite depends on the area of the body bitten, amount of venom injected, depth of bite, seasonal changes and temperature. The bite feels like a pin prick or is not even felt. At first, there may be only slight local swelling and two faint red spots surrounded by local redness at the bite. Pain becomes intense in one to three hours and may continue up to 48 hours. Pain usually progresses from the bitten member up or down the arm or leg, finally localizing in the abdomen and back. The abdominal muscles may become rigid and board-like with severe cramps (resembles appendicitis). There may be pain in the muscles and soles of the feet, and eyelids may become swollen. Other symptoms may be nausea, profuse perspiration, tremors, labored breathing and speech, and vomiting. During this time, a feeble pulse, cold clammy skin, unconsciousness, convulsions and even death may result if the victim does not receive medical attention immediately. Additional complications may occur due to the infection of the bite. However, with some untreated individuals, symptoms may diminish in several hours and be gone in several days after agony. Bites are uncommon and serious long-term complications or death are rare.
If bitten, remain calm, collect the spider, if possible, for positive identification and get medical attention immediately. (bolding added)

http://woodypest.ifas.ufl.edu/blwidow.htm

“Death seldom occurs if a physician is consulted and treatment is prompt.”

These were the only two sources I checked.

I had nose to nose confrontations with black widows 47 years apart. The remnants of my last trophy still hang in the guest room window for the entertainment of my grandchildren.

Well done, Astroboy!

Note that it says bites are uncommon. They aren’t agressive spiders.

Uncommon? OK.

However, I personally would classify one or two bites in a lifetime as “uncommon”! And that’s plenty enough for me! (no, I have never been bitten, and don’t plan to be!)

As for the “they aren’t agressive” position: my emotional response is that the agressivness quotient of black widow spiders was probably measured as they peacefully sat in their webs… not after they’ve been dosed with not-quite-lethal amounts of pesticide. After that, I’m sure, they are filled with the thirst for HUMAN BLOOD!

Thank you, Zoe!

(BTW: the printer works very well! I’m happy with it. Not that anyone cares, of course. LOL.)

Hehehe! I’m not saying they are harmless. I hope you don’t think that. I’m just saying that a reasonable level of common sense and carefulness is all that is required around black widows… rather than panic, fear, etc. I mean it isn’t really dangerous to stand a couple of feet from one and watch it, or even do gardening around one if you keep an eye on where it is. The chances of it biting you are pretty slim and if it did, the chances of you having a serious health crisis are also slim. It’s not like it’s a giant, rabid, vampire king cobra or something. Btw, if you see any giant, rabid, vampire king cobras you have my permission to squeal like a little girl and fog the house as many times as you see fit.

Rabid Vampire King Cobras??? :eek:

We have those here?

Oh, crap… there goes any sleep I might get tonight. Thanks a lot!