What (alcoholic) drinks might I like?

Let’s limit this to mixed drinks. I already know what beer I like (Heineken).

Note: a Salty Dog is the same thing as a Greyhound, except with salt.

Mojito is good because it’s not too sweet, and is essentially the same as a “manly” drink like Juleps except with different booze. There is a perception that it is a “gay” drink (e.g. Family Guy, a superior at work), but it is Ernest Hemingway’s and Sam Axe’s favorite drink, and they ooze testosterone.

It took me so long to like G&Ts. I avoided them because I hate the taste of quinine (love gin), but together something magical happens.

I used to say “Gin and Tonics are what happens when the two worst tastes in the world collide and make something wonderful.” Then the aforementioned Taste Bud holocaust occurred and I learned to love Gin on it’s own.

To be honest, you only need a couple of drinks on your go to list. I like an old fashioned for my standby and then in the summer I like magaritas, mojitos, and the odd G&T. I really like Campari and soda when it’s really hot out, but that is an aquired taste.

My mixed drink of the moment is a sidecar. Classic cocktail, extremely strong, sweet/sour and dangerously easy to drink. The trouble is finding a bartender who can actually make one. There’s not much to it–cognac, cointreau, and lemon juice, in various proportions. I generally order 2-1-1, but wikipedia is suggesting 8-2-1. Watch your bartender carefully–I once spotted mine at the end of the bar making something that was all clear spirits before he handed it to me as a sidecar.

Does no one drink Tequila Sunrisesanymore? Or Harvey Wallbangers?

Forgot to point out: a margarita is basically a sidecar with tequila instead of cognac (and lime instead of lemon).

You’d be doing yourself an injustice if you didn’t at least try a good single-malt Scotch. You may love it, you may hate it, but at least you’ll have tried it.

Try a glass of Glenlivet, neat. It’s by no means the ‘best’ Whisky out there, but it’s a good baseline and it’s available pretty much everywhere.

If just one part of it was, I’d say it was regular clear triple sec instead of Cointreau.

I ordered a Gimlet once. Was asked, “how much Vermouth do you want?” :confused: Pretty much got a glass of gin. Another time, it was explained “we squeeze our own lime juice, so it will be different.” Bitter. That was after asking for a whiskey sour, and explaining he didn’t have sour mix. I didn’t bother asking if lemon juice and simple syrup were available.

O Arbiter Of Masculinity, art margaritas sufficiently manly?

Because if not, fuck that. I like 'em. One of the few alcoholic drinks I’ve found that didn’t make me want to wash my mouth out with water afterward.

Why not a Whiskey Stone Sour?

It’s what I drink when I’m in public.

Just like a Whiskey Sour but you add Orange Juice to equal parts Sour.

A properly made margarita is mostly tequila with a bit of lime & orange liqueur; it can be almost as strong as a martini.

The frozen ones can be fun–especially if you live in a hot climate; in Texas, we use slurpy machines rather than make the bartender break out the blender. With a decent tequila & the other ingredients of good quality, of course…

Back in the day, I drank vodka and Wink, a grapefruit flavored soft drink. It was good.

vodka grapefruit is a greyhound, but i’ve been told it was originally gin/grapefruit. vodka orange juice is a screwdriver.

Related to this, the one recommendation I have is to drink at places with good bartenders: you’re better off getting a bartender who knows how to make a killer margarita than going someplace where they buy their sour mix in a powder.

Yeah, I’m over the manly thing, I drink campari and soda and fruity vodka and soda (my current favorite is Svedka cherry) all Summer.

OP might like an Amaretto sour too, though I’m finding things that are that sweet a little much these days.

Putting aside manly, I don’t like, and don’t like when people around me order a bunch of stupid complex prepared blender or other drink because (a) it ties up the bartender; and (b) as I indulge my inner curmudgeon, I find that drinking any kind of shot other than a buyback slug of Jameson from an Irish bartender is juvenile and douchey.

I was going to suggest the Tequila Sunrise. Who could resist that gorgeous drink pictured in your link?

It looks like the Jack Rose is coming back. Did it ever go away? With applejack (a sort of apple brandy, I guess), grenadine, and lemon or lime. I guess it should be sweet enough for you.

Here’s my thread on this topic, asking the same question you have. I have been trying out a new drink every once in a while. Here’s my list from that thread:

TOPS
Rusty Nail
White Russian
Cadillac Margarita

WOULD ORDER IT AGAIN
Vodka Tonic
Vodka Gimlet
Vodka Cran
Rum & Coke
Cap & Coke
Margarita
Mai Tai
Long Island
Bloody Mary
Old Fashioned (didn’t notice what they used)

WOULD TRY TO ORDER SOMETHING ELSE BESIDES THIS
Gin & Tonic
Martini
Manhattan
Screwdriver
Harvey Wallbanger
7&7
Bourbon & 7
Mojito

UNTESTED
Vodka Soda
Tom Collins
Gin Gimlet
Whiskey Soda
Whiskey & Coke
Whiskey & Ginger Ale
Whiskey Sour
Salty Dog (I don’t like grapefruit)
Black Russian
Tequila Sunrise
Cosmopolitan
Sex on the Beach
Sidecar
Mint Julep
Campari & Soda
Sazeracs
Dark & Stormy
Bourbon Rocks
Rye Rocks
Scotch Rocks
Daiquiri
Caipirinha
Singapore Sling
Scotch & Soda

Tonight I mixed some vodka in the leftover olive juice in the jar, threw in a couple ice cubes. It was the best mixed drink I’ve had in years.

I tried it because a local bar advertises a drink made with (I think the word is infused) dill pickle juice (which I love) and a bunch of other stuff that I wouldn’t know if it hit me in the face. Figured this was cheaper.

Like I said, it was gooood.

Sweet, tasty drink I love: Red Death. They’re delicious!