What does Chernobyl mean?

It’s been revived at last counting times. This thread really does refuse to die.

I’m going to use the phrase “greasing the antichrist’s pole” for anything nefarious from now on.

I used a variation of the line last night. Alas, I went home alone.

Ignoring Jesus and friends for a minute and getting back to the OP, I can’t believe that in twelve years nobody has looked in a dictionary.

“чорнобиль, m. Bot. wolf’s-bane, monk’s-hood, artemisia”
“полин” or “полинь, m. Bot. wormwood.”

Wolfsbane and monkshood are aconite (aconitum); artemesia is the genus including wormwood. I’m guessing this is чорно- “black” + било “stem, stalk”.

There’s a connection, but only in the Kevin Bacon sense.

Personally, I’m grateful to Revbanks’s contribution for introducing me to the term “preaches good”. I’ll be using that extensively as the context permits!

[Moderator Note]

Revbanks, political remarks of this kind are not permitted in General Questions. Much of the rest of your post would be more appropriate for our Great Debates forum than this one. Please keep this in mind in the future.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

70 weeks = 7 years? How does that work in the literal sense?

Hamlet III, 2, 166:
PLAYER QUEEN
    Oh, confound the rest!
Such love must needs be treason in my breast.
In second husband let me be accursed!
None wed the second but who killed the first.

HAMLET
(aside)Wormwood, wormwood.
Reminds me, obligatory:
Ulysses, Circe
SHAKESPEARE (With paralytic rage.)
Weda seca whokilla farst.

Dan. 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

The phrase “seventy weeks” literally means “seventy sevens” (Hebrew: for “week” is shabuwa‘, seven).

The prophetic “70th week” refers to the 70 “weeks of years” as referred to in prophetic terms. A “week” in Daniels prophecy (Dan 9:24) represented 7 years rather than 7 days, and the 70th week ties into the fulfillment of the 7 year tribulation in Revelation. Too deep for here and I apologize for commenting in the wrong forum. As a “newbie” my mistake.

Also, please forgive the poor choice of example with reference to the “greased pole”. Of course I didn’t intend any phallic references, or political diatribes. Thx all for keep this thread classy not trashy.

God bless all who search for truth!
Respectfully…

How about чорно-білий (chorno-bilij), meaning something like pied, splotchy, patchy in color? Granted, this comes from someone with zero knowledge of the Ukrainian language…

OK, wikipedia actually lists ‘wormwood’ as the origin for the name of the city of Chernobyl…

Hmmmm. Would any moderating in this thread be a modified form of the Eiger Sanction?

I dunno, but if it gets more convoluted and incomprehensible, it’s in danger of becoming an Osterman Weekend.

So, NOT literally. Absolutely specifically the opposite meaning from “literally.”

I don’t understand how one can claim something is literal truth and at the same time explain it is allegorical symbolism “representing” something else.