What does "ten below" mean in Fahrenheit-using countries?

We’re not reacting to an attack. We’re trying to tell you that this is not how we experience temperature. Do you experience temperature relative only to its relationship to the freezing point? We don’t.

We measure it relative to freezing. I can’t tell you how other people experience it. I imagine along the lines of “cold”, “not cold”, “bloody cold” etc., much like Americans.

Are you in the UK? How cold does it get where you are?

ETA: Once again, in Taiwan Celsius makes a lot more sense in that respect. It’s so !@#$!ing dank here in the winter that 15 degrees feels like freezing, and actual freezing (0 degrees) is just unthinkable.

So I’m able to keep a nice clear separation in my mind. 60 degrees Fahrenheit is a nice brisk day in Austin, whereas 15 degrees in Taiwan feels like I’m on a windswept outpost in the Bering Strait.

Five below damp.

South-east England, yes. In winter it typically gets down to low-single digits (Celsius) overnight. Overnight lows of down to about -4C are not that unusual. The record low in London is -10C.

Pfff. -10 means spring is finally arriving here.

As a native Californian, I object to some of the characterizations of Americans in this thread.

For me, ten below is ten below 50°F.

There is no such thing as 0°F. It’s a ghost story told to kids.

The great thing about winters in MN is that people tend to also say “10 above”. Because you don’t want to just say “10” and leave doubt, in case someone thinks it’s a balmy day, suitable for sun bathing.

Joe
moved south, but grew up there

And the North Americans are just trying to explain that we don’t care about “relative to freezing” and it sounds like you’re trying to tell us we’re wrong. Not in so many words, but that’s the attitude that’s coming through; you’re beating a dead horse. You asked what a term meant, it was explained, and you kept saying, “but, but, but” as if it was an argument you could win.

Yeah, the freezing point doesn’t have a lot of relevance when it’s common during the winter for the temperatures to go a couple of months without ever getting that high. I think most people in colder climates think about it only twice a year: when it’s been below the freezing point long enough to go on ice, and when it’s beginning to hover close enough to it that going on the ice is no longer safe.

Well I have heard 10 degrees below freezing (22 degrees) referred to as “10 below” by local TV news people who get pretty excited when we have really really dramatic weather, such as temperatures below freezing, above 78 degrees, or when there are several thunderclaps in a row. Yup seriously. Comes from living in a place where the weather extremes run from “cold & rainy” to “cool & cloudy.”

[aside]

For some reason, until very recently, I thought that Taiwan was a lot closer to Korea than to, say, the Phillipines. I had that wrong for a long while.

[/aside]

What’s with this “North American” crap ? We use Celsius up here in Canada ever since the mid seventies and its been one of the few aspects of our metric conversion that has totally eclipsed the Imperial/American system.

Kids today, haven’t a clue what 32[sup]o[/sup] F represents anymore.

I have not exhibited any such attitude. Somebody said “below zero, of course” and I acknowledged their answer and then merely explained why it was not “of course” to me. I’m not arguing with anybody (well, except you, now, I suppose).

We also say the temperatures are “in the twenties” which not only tells you that they are below freezing but gives you a rough idea of how far below freezing they are. Then you’ve got “in the teens” and “single digits” for when the temperatures get colder than that.

When the temperatures hover around zero, that’s when you’ll hear people say it’s above or below zero, as in “it’s five above” or “it’s seven below”.

The Fahrenheit scale was specifically designed so that zero is about as cold as it ever gets and 100 is about as hot as it ever gets (in Europe, where Mr. D.G. Fahrenheit was located), so in many places it is fairly rare for temperatures to go below zero or above 100. Usually saying what decade the temperatures are in gives you a good idea of how hot or cold it is (ex. temperatures are in the nineties this week). It is very common for people to say fifties, sixties, etc. to refer to the temperature.

As opposed to the rest of the metric system (ease of convertibility into other units and all that), as far as I can see there really shouldn’t be any basis for arguing Celsius has any advantage over Fahrenheit, at least in everyday use.

Not to disparage our northern neighbors, I’m just saying, you say potato and I say po-tah-to.

Actually we still say “potato” the same way you northern Americans do. And we say “about” not “aboot” as well :rolleyes:

The question has already been answered well, that “10 below” unambiguously means -10F in America. That said, I do often hear temperature relative to the freezing point, but it’s usually used vaguely. For example, you might hear “below freezing” but that typically means something around 25-32F, as otherwise you’d just hear that it’s 20F or whatever. But even then, I don’t really hear it used so much to describe the temperature as much as a way to remind people that the roads will be icy or whatever.

Moving thread from IMHO to General Questions.

It’s a figure of speech.