What food you would expect at a casual summer wedding?

I totally understand!

Perhaps, if a compromise is required, a lightened version of an alfredo sauce with some nice (real) seafood in a sort of pasta salad might be a nice addition to the BBQ menu. There’s an interesting Chicken Alfredo Salad recipe on Betty Crocker’s website. Of course, I wouldn’t use their box mix, but the final product is something like what I’m thinking. I’d like that in a small serving along with BBQ.

Maybe some crème fraiche or even buttermilk instead of the classic cream and butter for the sauce…might take some experimentation to get the right balance of flavor and lightness, but it should be some tasty experimentation!

Your menu sounds good Megan. For your vegetarian friends, how about some kind of tofu stir-fry? I’m thinking of one we make that has a kind of hot-sweet sauce in it.

Or, a bean salad… that’d be yum.

Hope your day turns out fabulous. :slight_smile:

Your menu sounds pretty good. Seafood Alfredo would be great for a small dinner in a cool place–but unsuitable at a larger event Outside During the Summer. (In a Houston June, 6PM might still be uncomfortably warm; but you probably live in a more temperate clime.)

How will the meal be served? On real tables with real chairs? Some barbecue buffets provide paper plates & plastic utensils; diners are expected to find stumps to perch on while eating. Dangerous for people in nice clothes. Renting some amenities can civilize things–while you still get to eat what you like.

I agree with others that your vegetarian friends need a bit more than salad. Do the barbecue people offer any meatless side dishes?

As somebody who likes the occasional drink, I have no problem at all with an alcohol-free reception. However, please offer some drinks that aren’t “fruity.” How about coffee & tea? Especially iced–with a couple of non-sweet options.

As a vegetarian who sometimes ends up in awkward situations at parties because people forget I’m veggie or think veggies eat fish (I actually found seafood to be particularly gross even when I ate meat), I appreciate your consideration of veggie people! I like your proposed menu and the salad bar idea. I also agree that the addition of some grilled portobello mushrooms or mac n cheese would be awesome for people would don’t like meat but would like something warm and heavier to eat.

Your menu sounds fabulous. If I were at the wedding dinner your mom planned the only thing I would eat would be cake because I don’t do seafood and I have texture issues with most salad greens. But BBQ, fruit, lemonade and wedding cake? I am jealous that I won’t be there and I don’t even know you!

Megan-If your vegetarian friends aren’t vegan, why not lasagna or stuffed shells? And your menu sounds delish!

I like your menu better. While I don’t personally enjoy the dishes your mother picked, I think for those who do that’s too heavy have for a summer affair. You need light dishes. Maybe you could do like a noodle or potato salad for vegetarian guests?

The reception will be in a chamber center banquet hall, so nice china plates, silverware, nice tables and chairs, and all that. I’m definitely going to check about the meatless sides!
Coffee and tea will be a certainty, no worries :wink:

Well, you kinda know me! Arn’t you the person I was Secret Santa to this past year?

I know they’re not a fan of lasagna, we’ve offered to have them over to dinner with that before, but the stuff shells would be great! Or maybe stuffed peppers? What do you think?

I love the alfredo, but it is waaaaaay too heavy. I totally agree that we need light dishes, I don’t want anyone getting sick!

Well, yeah, but “That chick I sent a gift to from a message board” might be a bit too broad a category for a wedding invitation. :wink:

Assorted raw vegetables are always a good idea for parties.

But we just have to think up a catchy name for them!
Something… rudelewdcrude
Nah.

Megan-Stuffed peppers sounds like a great main course for vegetarians.

Have you considered ravioli? Cheese for the animal eaters and maybe butternut squash filling for the others?

Other than the fact vegetarians usually eat dairy, this is an AWESOME suggestion!

Moving thread from IMHO to Cafe Society.

Appropriate food at a wedding is whatever the bride and groom say is appropriate food, so long as it’s something actually achievable. And your menu is a lot more achievable than your mother’s, too.

And even aside from the fact that it’s your big day, not your mother’s, I still think it’s a good menu. At an outdoorsy summer wedding, it only stands to reason that you’d serve outdoorsy summer food.

If your mother has her heart set on seafood, why not grilled shrimp as another meat option?

Very simple to do- marinade and dipping sauces of your choice (BBQ, Lemon and herb, chilli etc). Shrimp tails on wooden skewers are quite elegant. Might also work as an option for any pescatarians.

Your menu sounds delightful.
I’d probably want something starchy- potato salad, potato wedges, bread.

Hummmph. If they have issue, they can stay home. I was a vegetarian for almost 10 years and I never expected others to withhold because of me.

Re: Food: It depends on the style of the wedding. For casual summer, I say box lunch or grill out. (If it’s at night, though, beware the bugs.)

These are ideas I’ve always loved:

Picnic
retro
fruity
have a separate grill for the ones not eating the good stuff
don’t forget the chitlins!

If I were the type to get married, I’d do a Gone With the Wind type picnic. (I sew, so I’m thinking fabric…)
edit: just reread the OP. You can bring the ‘summer’ indoors.

Wait. You have a casual Summer wedding, and relatives willing to drive from N’Awlins with coolers, and you’re not planning on serving some mud bugs?!?

You can make them into a cold shrimp-salad type thing, you don’t have to have a boiling pot on site. . .

Having a fancy shellfish pasta as the only option would alienate a lot of people. OTOH I’ve never been to a wedding with no alcohol.

Of the two summer weddings I went to with outdoor receptions, both had buffet style options, including copious salad choices and fruit. One had delicious swordfish skewers mmm. They also had those really cute strawberries decorated in white and brown chocolate to look like tuxedoes.

I would definitely go with your menu.

Seriously, as long as this wedding isn’t a try one, the OP should be fine. :wink: