What is the ICQ Number for Firefox?

you might not want to go with version 6 if your computer or operating system is old.

if you are using version 3 there just was a version 3.6.22 released so that would provoke a notification. those upgrades should be fine with your system because they are security or stability upgrades.

it may be similar with versions 4 and 5.

on the menu bar. HELP -> check for upgrades

I like how the OP just continues unabated, even though everyone tells him he is not making sense.

Explain.

You should be more specific here. What, exactly, is occurring that causes you to believe you are downloading a virus? What antivirus products are you currently using, what is the exact text of any messages that appear when or after you download and/or install Firefox, and what version of Windows are you running?

Bosda Di’Chi of Tricor, I will venture to give you some advice.

IIRC this is not the first time I have seen you respond this way in a computer advice thread. You ask a question, people come back with follow-up questions, but you ignore all their follow-up questions. If you report an error, the report is very short and does not includee any of the relevant details. For example, this is a useless post:

Here’s an example of what the post should look like:

I went to website example.com and clicked on the button that said “Download ProgramX version 6.2”. Then I found the Installer.exe program in my downloads folder and double-clicked on Installer.exe. After I went through the Installation I started up ProgramX. When I started up ProgramX my antivirus program (Protection 20.7) said “ProgramX is malware, do not click on it anymore”.

This thread looks to me like a perfect example of a case where the person asking does not want any help, they just want to complain how computers suck. It doesn’t seem like it belongs in the GQ forum at all.

ETA: see also the two previous posts in this thread. Do you want help/advice, or do you just want to complain? In any case, I expect that this post and other posts asking follow-up questions will be ignored or answered in the usual vague manner, offering no specifics and preventing anyone from helping you.

ETA2: see also the following post in this thread.

What happened when you attempted to get Firefox? How do you know you got another virus?

Don’t just say “I got a virus”, tell us what you saw. E.g. "I got a pop-up message saying that “ha ha you are infected now” and my system wallpaper changed to a jolly roger image.

While you’re at it, could you tell me where to download world peace? I heard it was good.

There’s no place like 127.0.0.1.

Win.

As Arnold said, he does this quite often. Getting information from him is like pulling hen’s teeth.

Bosda: The only thing I can figure from your posts is that your computer is infected with malware. Luckily, there’s a sticky for just such an occasion. Go through the steps there and check back with us.

My antivirus went off, and indicated it was the downloaded start-up file for Firefox.

It seems to have blocked the virus, as scans with Malwarebytes & Spybot do not detect any problems.

As for exact text, I rarely have time to write it down, as the alert windows close.

Oh, BTW–I’m sorry for the irregularity of replies.

I cannot post from work, & my problems often appear just before bed (I leave for work before 5AM).

If you were downloading from the official firefox site it then your antivirus is messed up or your machine is hopeless infected already. It’s pretty important to get the exact message that your anti-virus is displaying, because right now no one can really help you with what you’ve given us.

Does the pop-up box give you the option to either “Accept” or “Block” the program you have downloaded? I’m thinking that the installer is asking to access the internet, and you are being asked to authorise it. In this instance, where you have downloaded the installer from the official site, you should click “Accept”.

/WAG that it’s not the AV that’s popping up

If I recall correctly, when I originally installed Firefox (and every update after that) I had the option to “Accept” or “Block” the program; for whatever reason, the program producing the popup (either my firewall or my virus scanner) didn’t recognize it.

OP: Try downloading the Firefox update again, and make a screen cap of the resulting pop-up.

if you run a downloaded program from Mozilla to update then (depending on your antivirus program and settings) you might have to give that program permission to run.

if within Firefox on the menu you do HELP -> Check for updates

then you may not need to do it the same.

in either case you may need to give permission for it to make changes to the system or for the new install to run the first time.

Based on the theme of some of the OPs previous computer-related threads, I wonder if the pc in question is already compromised with something that could be redirecting him to download something that purports to be Firefox, but is in fact some kind of malware.

The problem is not that your replies are irregular. The problem is that you ignore almost everything people are saying in the thread and don’t answer the questions asked by the people trying to help you.

I just installed Firefox on a MacBook; upon the initial launch of Firefox, I got a message box requesting permission to run the application. It had been identified as “an application downloaded from the Internet”.

I have gotten warnings after downloading .exe files that they could be malicious and did I want to continue.
Is that what you are seeing?