What math is on this huge blackboard, and is the setup just a joke?

Personally, my guess would be ballistic missile calculations, since they seem to be working in a reference frame of the Earth.

But to add to what everyone else has said, there’s no reason for all of those engineers to be working on the same big board. If they’re working independently, then they could each be working on their own board, of a normal size and height. On the other hand, if all of their calculations are tying together serially, then they wouldn’t all be working at once, since each one would have to wait for the others to finish their relevant steps.

It looks like they are about to prove that Pluto really is a planet. It’s about time.

I would’t expect orbital calculations to be particularly complex. They’re not doing theoretical physics here-- more like engineering.

Fascinating article:

The Space Race nearly defines the Cold War, but it’s amazing to see this comrades-in-arms mentality across borders. Both he and Gagarin’s actions are heroic by every definition.

That’s badass.

I guess higher math doesn’t lend itself well to parallel processing.

The spherical trigonometry on the lower left is a dead giveaway it’s some kind of orbital mechanics problem. I don’t even think they teach spherical trig anymore. Or how to use a slide rule. Gone away, gone away, the engineers of yesteryear.

That’s correcting for the rotation of the Earth to convert from the inertial frame to Earth-fixed. That’s why it only has X & Y and no Z.

In this case, mu is the gravitational parameter for the Earth.

Yeah, there would have been no reason to write out those known equations unless you were teaching or demonstrating them.

I’m actually debugging some code with these equations right now. On Friday I got as far as noticing that my eccentric anomaly shouldn’t be 19 thousand and something radians.

A lot of these equationsshould look pretty similar.

Well, some of it does. Most of it, in fact. But in that case, they’d each be working at their own board.

Anecdote: In college, I well remember (still) the time I walked into the Engineering Economics classroom. Our rookie instructor was in front, looking kind of nervous, and in the back row was another of the engineering instructors, taking notes. Ahah, evaluation time.

As taught, the class had not been especially rigorous. If the benefit/cost ratio for a project is more than one, the project is a good one. Today, however…

Down one blackboard, on to the next one, fast, fast, fast. Partial derivatives, graphs, all the way. Complete mathematical proof that in classical micro-economics, that the production point where marginal costs equal marginal profits is the real sweet spot where profits are maximized. I think.

I don’t think anyone in the class was trying to keep up; it was pretty obvious what was going down. And no, none of the day’s lecture showed up on any exam for the course. But all quite humorous, in it’s way.

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was going to have something to do with this scene out of A Serious Man:

I thought it was about space…

I was thinking it was all bogus because of the lack of the z co-ordinate. Even with that, shouldn’t all those differentials be partial?