What Part of "Don't Take My Picture!" Don't You Understand?

I have a Czech friend who has been in the USA a few times - to study, work, etc. Once he was in Pittsburgh and got arrested and thrown in jail for urinating in public (a very common thing here in Europe that he didn’t even consider could be illegal). 2 months ago he was in Texas with some friends and they went to a rodeo. There was a nice looking woman in the stands behind, and he whipped out his camera and snapped a few shots of her. She got angry and told him to stop. He was a bit tipsy and did the opposite. She went to Security and told them to get my friend to stop taking pictures. Boy did they - 3 police and a set of handcuffs later he was being led off to jail. Luckily this lady was able to convince the police she didn’t want to press charges, that she just wanted him to stop taking pictures.

Funny though…he has been arrested and put in handcuffs twice - once for peeing, once for taking pictures.

-Tcat

I wonder how much ‘recovery’ might be necessary for receiving a blow to the temple with a digital camera?

At Playa Del Fuego, a Burning-Man-like event on the east coast, there are people in funky costumes, and there are people in no costumes. The joy/novelty/thrill of being confronted with people absurdly shattering social norms is part of the fun of the event, and the temptation to photograph people is overwhelming, however, there are people who take photos at PDF for… less than artistic reasons. The staff there have a “100% permission” policy, and in the course of explaining it, they state the following:

If an AP stringer gets a photo of you, he or she doesn’t have to ask. However, if a Disney photographer wants a photograph of you enjoying the Electric Light Parade, because your kid’s smile is cute, they need to ask permission (they will profit from the advertising, so it’s not journalism). Since this woman was taking photographs for purely personal reasons, Siege has every right to object. The Amish, Muslim women, and any other people sensitive about their appearance each retain the right to object to being photographed in this country.

Well, she shouldn’t have taken your photo.

But I’m wondering if the camera person has some sort of memory problems. After an event she looks at the pictures and recalls things about them.

That’s all I can think she is recovering from.

See, where you failed Siege was in trying to be polite.

Ask nicely once, and then just give the finger with a sneer on your face.

Some people are overly sensitive or just too vain or narcissistic. It can ruin the capture of a good outing when someone has to fix their hair or put on makeup or change their shirt just to get their picture taken. “I’ll be taking pictures in five minutes so everyone be prepared”, is something you’ll never heard me say.
When you’re having fun and the people at the event are probably the same people that may view the pictures, what’s the big deal? It’s not like I’m taking the photos to be used for an add agency campaign. When you have to stage the photo, it makes it less spontaneous and less of an actual ‘snapshot’ of the event.
I’m not even a big fan of getting everyone to smile for the camera. I like to take shots that you don’t normally see, candid shots.

Maybe, just maybe, they don’t want their picture taken. Period.

Well, I’m afraid I just don’t get it. I see no reason that taking a picture of a cousin that you had never met before and might never see again would be important at all, let alone more important than their wishes.

On the flip side, I’ve never understood why it’s so hard to just not take the effing picture when someone declines.

Seige is totally correct. The woman was an inconsiderate, intrusive bitch. I don’t care *what * you’re recovering from - you’re not allowed to violate my privacy to do so. The fact that she felt compelled to corner someone who couldn’t really get away just makes her more egregious - doesn’t change the baseline.

Taking and/or using someone’s picture without their permission (outside of certain fairly-stringently-controlled circumstances) is unlawful conduct in the United States. If you’re not law enforcement/public safety personnel or a member of the media pursuing a news-reporting endeavor, you need permission. Ask any professional photographer.

I don’t share Seige’s poor history with photography, but I’d be righteously aggravated if some random jerk with a camera ignored repeated requests not to take my picture. I don’t care if some people play the “oh no, don’t take my picture while I pose for you” game - that’s passive aggressive nonsense and not my problem. If you feel compelled to take people’s pictures, you can either learn to distinguish the passive aggressive posturers from the actual “get that away from me” crowd, or just take every “no” as Gospel. Or learn to enjoy pissed off people objecting to your behavior. If that woman actually does take pictures of everyone who crosses her path without regard to their wishes, she’s asking to get a smack in the kisser.

Most of the pictures I take are of landscapes or architectural buildings. Sometimes I take pictures of street performers; I like taking detail pictures of the musical instruments. The only time I’ve taken a picture of someone who specifically said he didn’t want his picture taken, it was someone who had also been repeatedly forewarned that if he did come to the meet, we would take his pic (he’s also not particularly sensitive about what other people want, so it was basically a “ribbing” thing for us).

It’s quite easy to tell the difference between when someone actually hates getting his picture taken and when they’re just making noises. Privacy is a basic right - even back when people slept 12 to a bed, they respected it.

And you’re probably right. I realise that I grew up in a rich picture taking environment and pictures are just a part of the family life, ever since we were babies. I cannot fathom why someone would be so opposed to something so innocuous as having their picture taken. To me, it would be like getting offended because someone looked at you. (Stop taking mental snapshots of me)
Well, just cause I don’t get it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t bother others.

It wasn’t just that she took my picture. Frankly, if she’d just snapped a candid shot of me, I might have grumbled, but I probably wouldn’t have minded. It was that she took a picture after repeatedly being told not to and then acted pleased with herself for having done so. I can see now that she might have thought I was “just acting coy”. It didn’t occur to me at the time because that’s not the way I do things. That’s probably why my friend tried to get across to her that I was serious. It was, as I said, a combination of things, including accumulated stress.

By the way, I did realize when I started this thread that I’d better be prepared to let a photo or two of me be taken at Gettysdope next weekend. I’ll let you lot judge for yourself whether I have anything to be ashamed of.

CJ

At many theme parks (and I assume at Disney), the fine print on the back of the ticket states that by using the ticket you give the park the right to use your image in any way they see fit. It would be virtually impossible for them to secure individual releases from everyone that appeared in the “crowd scenes” that they use in their advertising.

By the way, folks, you did read the word “ashamed” right. One of the things I’ve been dealing with during the past couple of months is feeling ashamed for being visibly physically flawed. Some of it comes from the way I was brought up and, while it may have been far from ideal, it’s what I’m stuck with. As I said, I’ve done a lot of work on my issues and even cancelled a few subscriptions. That still didn’t entitle that woman to give me the latest edition of one issue by completely overriding my wishes.

CJ
I don’t care who you are of what, I will not be assimilated!
Now quit humping my leg!!! :wink:

I completely sympathize with and support the OP. Hassling a random stranger by taking unwanted pictures of them, after being told unequivocally not to, is rude and obnoxious in the extreme.

While I don’t have the extreme issues that Siege does, I am extremely unphotogenic – even Mr. S, who loves me dearly, agrees that the person in photographs of me bears usually little complimentary resemblance to my live self. So while I don’t shy away from photos, I do always have the thought in the back of my mind, “Great, another ugly picture of me out there.”

I will suggest, however, one reason for photo-avoiders to try to put aside their own feelings, even if only once in a while. Too often I see letters to Dear Abby or whoever from people whose mother/best friend/insert loved one here avoided photographs, for whatever reason: was always the photographer, “I’m too fat,” “I’ll break the camera,” whatever. Then after the person was dead, the people left behind had no images to remember them by. My mother used to be like this, but she has gotten over it (I think because of the grandkids), so my collection of pictures of my mother is better now than it was in the past.

(For a long time, I did not have any acceptable (to my eyes) current photos of myself, so a few years ago at my cousin’s wedding, when everyone was all gussied up and hanging out in a beautiful environment, I brought my digital camera and had my mother take several dozen pictures of me and Mr. S together. Out of those we got one good one that actually looks like me. That should hold me for about ten years, I think.)

So please, especially if you have kids, allow your picture to be taken once in a while. Even if only every five or ten years, if that makes you comfortable. For the people who love you and don’t see the flaws that you perceive in yourself when they look at your picture – they just see someone they love.

You have no right to privacy if you’re in a public place. If you’re in public, you’re fair game for photography.

No it isn’t.

This is just flat wrong. There is no law against taking pictures of people in public places. You may need permission if you’re going to sell those images or use them for advertising, but you don’t need permission just to take the pictures. Some professional photographers may ask a matter of courtesy, but there is no legal requirement. Essentially, it is legal to photagraph anything in pubic that it’s legal to look at.

You have no legal right to demand that the person not take your picture and you would actually be violating that person’s own civil rights by attempting to stop them.

Nice. You’re advocating physical assault as retribution for a perfectly legal act which doesn’t harm you. Very enlightened.

I’m sorry, Siege, but legally, if you’re at a public event, you are completely fair game for photography. You completely overreacted in a completely irrational way. You were not “harmed” any more than you can be harmed by people simply looking at you. If you don’t want your picture taken (and I can’t see how that hurts you, bu whatever) then don’t go out in public. You don’t own the sidewalks or the event centers.

That’s very good. I don’t think anyone here would object to that.

Siege -
I know exactly how you feel about being photographed. I’ve always been overweight, and I’m self conscious about it. I’ve never heard anyone mock me for it, but it wouldn’t surprise me to find out that it has happened.

I HATE having my picture taken. I never like the ones that are taken. I used to work hard to avoid having them taken. Now, I tolerate them, but I still don’t like them.

100% agreement with you. The woman was a rude idiot. If someone tells you that they don’t want a picture taken, then don’t take it. Period. No means no.

Dio, what you said makes sense, but in the case of the OP the photographer was told several times in a fairly stern manner that she didn’t want her individual picture taken. I think if the photographer had any courtesy, she could have easily avoided the only person in the room who was sitting by herself and expressed that she didn’t want her picture taken.
Nothing illegal was done but that doesn’t make what the photographer did not wrong.
Saying that just cause something is legal and there is nothing you can do about it doesn’t mean that someone *can’t * be offended by it.
I’m offended by my neighbors peice of shit car he parks in front of my house, but I can’t do anything about it. I can talk to him and ask him to park it elsewhere but if he tells me to pound sand then I’m screwed.

I had a good friend who hated having her picture taken. Any time I would try, she would put up a hand, turn away or make a face.
She died two years ago from complications of Multiple Sclerosis.

I only have one picture to remember her by that I can actualy see her in, and that was taken on the sly.

I have other friends who also do not like being photographed. I don’t care. I take em anyway.