What to do with figs?

So, I have a very happy fig tree in my yard that rewards my gardening efforts with more figs than I could possibly use. It’s already taking off, since the weather has warmed up, and I think I’m gonna have a lot of fruit this year. Other than sharing with neighbors, and the multitudes of critters that live in the woods out back, I would love to find some great recipes that include figs.

Google has not really inspired me, so I thought I’d ask here. I will happily share my figs with you, too!

I’m not a big fig fan (my family loved Fig Newtons when I was growing up but I didn’t).

That said, I have been meaning to try the recipe below (sorry, they give no printed recipe but seems easy enough). It looks yummy.

That’s definitely going on my list of things to make! :drooling_face:

Fig jam is great. In small amounts.
My fig tree gets drunk tho’. It seems to self ferment.
I have inebriated crows every year.

We eat a few outta hand before it gets too warm.

My Granny made fig juice. I’m sure it’s an easy process. Beware it can cause stomach distress like you wouldn’t believe.

If you make your own ice cream this is a great recipe. The author is creating her own version of a great, almost legendary store bought product.

Honey Roasted Fig Ice Cream

My mom had some prolific fig trees in her yard. She would slice them and lay the slices out in the sun. They died pretty fast in Yuma. She’d send everyone a bag at Christmas. We’d eat them plain and chop them up and use them in things you put died fruit in. Because I didn’t always go through them very quickly, I can vouch that once dried they keep for years. :grinning:

I wonder if the raccoons were getting wasted on my figs last summer? They gathered pretty regularly over by the tree, and seemed pretty happy!

Oh. Most probably.

How about a drunk moose in a tree? (you really can’t make this stuff up…fermented apples in this case I think)

I think animals really like to get drunk given the chance so drunk raccoons…totally believe that.

I’ve had figs simmered and aged in Rum served at a meal by student of my wife’s when she (my wife) was teaching while earning her PhD. This:

seems to be a pretty close match to the dish I was served. These were served with nuts and cheese, but I could absolutely have drunk the remaining liquid from the mason jar they were taken from with happiness and joy.

But as I said in a recent Cafe Society thread, you can make nearly anything better by adding booze or sugar, and this does BOTH.

and setting it aflame. FTFY.

I was going to say “Fly them with Pride!” until I put my glasses on.

I’ve made variations on this kind of thing over the years:

Fresh figs are a great foundation for salty-rich toppings. Invent your own! :slight_smile:

My favorite part of figs are the billions of little seeds. Crunch crunch crunch…

Love figs. Loathe Fig Newtons. No crunch.

Here’s the tricky part indeed.

Damned straight! I’ve loved figs stuffed with gorgonzola, wrapped with prosciutto, and seared in a balsamic reduction.

anybody any experience with just scraping them out, esp. the dryer, sweeter and honey-like ones? …

any tips on how to preserve them (esp. bigger volumes, not 1/2 once chutneys or somesuch)

Upthread I mentioned and linked to a rum-and-sugar stewed and preserved option. But it doesn’t involve de-seeding. Given the long, slow cook time, and residual alcohol, it would probably be safe-ish, if refrigerated, for quite some time. But keeping everything scrupulously clean is key for longer storage. It was advised as filling a 7 cup jar depending on the size of the figs, and the writer mentioned keeping an open jar in the fridge for months.

I am not sure what video I saw it in (maybe the one you linked?) which suggested the jars be filled 1/4 of the way with water and put in a microwave until the water boils for a minute or so. Take the jars out (use oven mitts…they are very hot) and pour out the water.

You now have sanitized jars. Use new lids.

(I am no expert on this…do your own research to stay safe.)

The replies here do not disappoint! I am definitely going to try out a lot, if not all, of these suggestions.

I’m also now intrigued by the fermentation aspect, which I’ve never thought about before. I will definitely be watching those racoons this year!

Also, just to add: If your only experience with figs is the Newton, you are very much missing out on one of the most amazing fruits ever. Fresh figs are soooo much better than Fig Newtons would lead you to believe!