What's the best rum to use for rum and cokes?

I’m asking for a trashing here, but I don’t normally care for rum and coke. The only time I’ve liked it was with Malibu coconut flavored rum.

I do like the occasional daquiri mind you.

Rancid? Wow. I’ve only had good bottles of their XV and 12-year-old.

One of my co-workers got to try some 40-year-old Appleton at a media tasting. Lucky Bastard.

Ron Medellin and Coca-Cola is pretty hard to beat, in my opinion. It is usually made as a “Cuba Libre” as note by JRDelirious [rum, coke, juice of half a lime, dash Angustora bitters]. There are a couple of other good rums from Colombia and other S.A. locations, but Medellin is my favorite - all the folks I worked with down there preferred Ron Caldas.

If it’s good rum, what are you doing putting Coca-Cola in it?

Haitian rums, and other fine golden rums, are for sipping straight.

Jamaican (dark) rums for Planter’s Punch.

Bacardi (or a similar light rum from a Spanish-speaking country) for daiquiris.

I keep a bottle of Gosling’s Black Seal, a black rum from Bermuda, around mainly for spiking the bean-pot. I suppose, in the unlikely event that I’d have a craving for a Cuba Libre, I’d use that in it.

I’m not sure if it is available overseas, but Bundy & Coke is just about Australia’s (or Queensland at least) favourite drink, besides beer. I love it, plus they have good ads starring the Wallabies (Australian Rugby Team).

You can visit their site here

• Bubba.

Aaah Bundy.
Bundaberg, Bundaberg, Bundaberg Rum
Puts hairs on yer chest, and hairs on yer bum,
And when we all die, and are buried in clay,
Our bodies are pickled, and never decay.

Amen. Very good rum.

I’ve also tried Bacardi’s 8 year “Reserva Superior” and found it unpleasantly sweet.

My vote goes for the dear old Captain Morgan. Got a half a bottle in my freezer right now. (But don’t tell that to my RA… shhh!) The first alcoholic drink I ever had was a Captain and… Diet Pepsi, oddly enough… but 'tis yummy.

Top shelf liquor should not be wasted in a mixed drink.
I prefer top shelf anything on the rocks.

Appelton rum is hard to drink, also doesn`t mix well. It is a sipper.

Spiced Rum mixes well with cola. Try Bacardi spice and vanilla coke, my fav. Malibu and coke go good together too.
I like to drink occasionally, but only to excess.

I’m not looking for top shelf, quality stuff - I agree that it’d be wasteful to mix it.

I mostly was wondering which rum complimented coke the best. I remember one of the first mixed drinks I ever have being a rum and coke, and the combination of that particular rum was excellent - I didn’t think to ask what kind was used.

SenorBeef- What you are looking for is Bacardi Light. It’s what works best with Coke.

Obviously many people enjoy spiced rum and coke, a la Captain Morgan or even the relatively new spiced Bacardi, but those don’t technically fall under “rum and coke” in my opinion.

JRDelirious spoke the truth.

I personally have to specifically say “NO LIME”, almost every time I order, to avoid being served a Cubre Libre. If I wanted one, I’d order it.

Barbarian- Yeah, I guess that was the wrong choice of words… I mean… something like I can taste rotten fruit in there somewhere… You’ll probably agree that the standard Appleton, or even Meyer’s has no place being mixed with coke. I can tolerate it a bit more in a more tropical, fruity drink like a Mai Tai, for example.

After my first sip of a Dark and Stormy, I knew I’d never drink R&C again. Gosling’s Black Seal rum + Old Tyme ginger beer + Lime. This is best used to wash down fried platanos.

I think Appleton Estates from Jamaica (though most J’cans seem to prefer the overproof white rum rotgut for mixed drinks) and the Trinidad rums are pretty good, but I think Guyanese rum is the best: El Dorado Demerara. Not with Coke though - yech.