Which U.S. state is the most forgettable?

The vast majority of Wyoming is incredibly forgettable. However, Yellowstone National Park is so friggin cool that it makes up for the rest of it.

My vote is for Nebraska also. That says a lot from someone from Oklahoma.

You read that issue of National Lampoon too, you sly dog. Some of those city names I don’t think we can say in this forum.

No offense to those living in upstate New York, but I’d have to say that the name “New York” is so closely associated with just the City, in the popular mind, that the rest of the state might seem just an afterthought, to some people.

See, I was coming in here to say Rhode Island was the most forgettable, but then I read this post and realized that I’d totally forgotten about Delaware. If that’s not confirmation I don’t know what is.

Another vote for Delaware. If I didn’t have a friend going to school there, I wouldn’t be aware of it’s existence.

I try really hard to forget about Texas.

Iowa.

And I lived there for two years.

I nominate Maine. It is so forgettable it hasn’t even been mentioned yet. I could probably name something or someone about every state but with Maine I draw a blank.

Try writing down the names of all 50 states and see which ones you forget. For me, it’s always Maryland. I think it’s main claim to fame is that it’s not Washington D.C.

I didn’t believe Wisconsin existed until just recently.

I was going to say Delaware as well.

Of course, I’m biased against the place, as a particularly horrible (if things hadn’t ended when they did, and they ended horribly, but it’d have been worse if they hadn’t!) ex-fiance formerly of mine is from there.

I can’t really agree with Wyoming, becuase it’s always the first state in my mind when I think about places with “nothing.” It’s actually memorable for its lack of anything important. Maybe because it has the smallest population of all the states.

No, you need the state that’s second (or second to last) in everything, because then it’s not the most (or least) anything. North Dakota is on the list…Delaware is also a good one. Iowa and Idaho are up there, too.

Arkansas, Mississippi, and my home state of West Virginia are the butts of too many jokes to be forgettable.

I hereby nominate you for the title of Most misnamed doper! :smiley:

Wyoming’s definitely the answer.

Tell me about it. Everytime I’m out of state, I can count on having the following conversation with someone.

Other person: So, where 'ya from?
Me: New York
OP: Whoa, I could never live in a big city like that
Me: I don’t live in the city either. My town is in a rural area.
OP: But…you live in New York.
Me: New York isn’t just one huge city. I don’t live anywhere near NYC.
OP: So, can you see “insert NYC landmark here” from your house?
Me: walks away

I find that hard to believe. Maine lobsters? The Bush vacation compound? Rocky beaches? The giant LL Bean Outlet? Acadia? Maine is fairly big and lightly populated especially for the East coast but it has way too many distinctive features for it to be considered forgettable. It is among the most beautiful of states and has some truly remote areas as well as about 6000 islands off its coast, some of which are permanently inhabited year round and others seasonally which creates an odd atmosphere. Maine is almost like the Alaska of the East Coat which makes it quite memorable.

Sshhhhhhhhhh!

[sub]Typical thing for someone from Michitucky to say![/sub]

I was actually thinking about this a while ago: what state seems far from the national limelight?

Naturally, people might say “Nebraska” or “the Dakotas” or “Kansas”, but those states are notable only because they do have a perception as being so dull.

No, in my opinion the two states that seem the most off-the-radar are Delaware and Oklahoma.

Oklahoma. Feels kind of like Texas, but not really. Not quite Midwestern. Not quite Southern. Not quite Southwestern. It’s known for … uhh, Indians and religious people. It’s just there.

Delaware. If you visit, odds are it’s because you’re passing through on I-95 - and that’s just the uppermost section. It’s flat. There’s no large cities. No significant natural features. Again, it’s just there.

Connecticut. And the only reason I ever remember Virginia is because of West Virginia.

The Dakotas are out, IMO. The Black Hills and the badlands make them sort of interesting to see, and North Dakota has some Lewis and Clark connections, with a nice museum and a recreated Fort Mandan on the shore of the Missouri River.

I’m going to go with Kansas. Flat, featureless, boring. On road trips, a place to be endured, not enjoyed.

Delaware.

[sub]Whoa - the cameraman is Beecher![/sub]